Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help out a new guy

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hey guys,

I started DJ'ing (kind of) at the start of the summer. I didn't want to throw a whole bunch of money into records/vinyls so I just used the 1,000 mp3s I have on my computer and bought Hercules DJ Console Mk2. I love the thing except that after messing with it so much I kind of want to get something with a bit more control.

My setup (please don't laugh at it lol, I'm new to all of this) right now is:

Hercules DJ Console Mk2 hooked up to a decent laptop
2 MTX DJ Speakers
1 QSC RMX 1450 amp
And just some regular dj headphones and a mic

I'm pretty good at mixing so I was able to DJ a club once or twice, but I used the CD turntables they provided.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro, but here are my questions:

What turntables do you guys recommend to hook up to the Hercules DJ Console? I'm thinking about buying the time coded vinyls and using them with turntables hooked up to the console because it'd give me more control over scratching and mixing. Plus, and this is kind of dumb, but when people see you with just that little hercules dj console they are like "I could do that."

Also, what speakers do you guys recommend? My speaker setup is fine actually, I've never had a problem with the sound being too low, but I don't want to ruin the speakers I have right now. Are those speakers (MTX DJ) considered good and should I just get two more of them or get sometihng different or a subwoofer?

Please keep in mind my budget... Ideally I don't want to spend more than 200-300 on everything but I know that probably isn't possible. So I'd like to keep the turntables to below 150-200 and the speakers below 300.

Thanks for the help.

Inviato Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 11:59 pm
The Hercules mk2 aint that bad;) Its pretty good, and cool...

And start off with some cheaper DIRECT DRIVE (not belt-drive) turntables, for example from Numark.

Should get you going...

As for speakers, there are sooo many... get some active ones for starter maybe ? they dont need amp.
Get a cheap good mixer (Numark or Pioneer),and plug your active speakers into that..

Should be good for starters... :)

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:19 am
Please fill in your serial number in here. everybody could see that you have a mk2.

Any direct drive turntable will do. Go to a dj shop and try some for yourself. Industry standard is still the Technics sl1200mk2, but Numark and stanton also make good turntables. Keep away from belt drive turntables, the speed changes to easy when doing platter movements.

Keep in mind that the Hercules Asio drivers are not that good. They work with TimeCode, but an audio card like the Esi u46dj will work a lot better. Of course you could start with the mk2.

Speakers and amps are almost the most important part of your setup. So don't save on that. Better save up any longer than buying stuff you later regret. The powerd Mackie speakers are good for example. Also here: Go to a store and decide for yourself. Also a tip is to hire a set at first, try it out on a gig and you will gain lots of additional knowledge and experience with this set.

Why looking for turntables? You could also look for the Numark iCDX. This is a table top controller, cd player and harddisc player in one. See the Numark website for more info
Ewout

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:23 am
lol ;) spooky... Seem to crash reply with you a lot Superstom :) hehe... x-files

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:25 am
and again dj-in-norway is a little faster :-( While writing my post I was already thinking: Should norway be first again ;-)

Glad we're almost write the same things
Ewout

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:25 am
and so we did again....

**** spooky *****

hehe

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:26 am
Now even posting both on the same second...

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:26 am
hehehe... maybe we should do scissors, stone, paper on next topic ;) heheeh

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 12:28 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Fox Molder will investigate that lol

Inviato Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 1:28 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)