Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External Hard drive

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

DjDeveHome userMember since 2007
anyone use an external hard drive? Just wondering if its preforms well with VDJ , Thanks

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 10:37 pm
Yes, I have one 500g now, and will start another next week. Had 2 200g hooked up before. I still carry them around as backups.

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 10:41 pm
Yeh, same here, as long as you've got USB2 or firewire they work fine.

:)

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 11:14 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest getting one with its own power supply.

also, I'm more of a firewire fan because I use a USB soundcard, controller, external keypad, and laptop cooler.... so the usb power is an issue. Firewire for me!

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 11:42 pm
ktilak wrote :
Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest getting one with its own power supply.

also, I'm more of a firewire fan because I use a USB soundcard, controller, external keypad, and laptop cooler.... so the usb power is an issue. Firewire for me!

I agree about with having it's own power supply. I built my own, and they also have fans. You can even get cases that will take both, USB and firewire. I hate those power adapters.

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 11:51 pm
radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've a 300GB which works fine using USB2.0 and has it's own power supply. It was problematic on my old laptop which only had USB1.1

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 4:28 pm
I use a 750 gig drive myself .. with no problems.

I would recomend not pluging any other usb device into that usb hub though.

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 4:52 pm
Works well. VDJ also runs much smoother while recording if you pull files from one drive and record to another.

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 5:55 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
like above i run two e/hds with my lappy 1x400g that has audio & vids 1x80g with just karaoke on it both have their own power supplys remember to use the same port all of the time for each device as i was advised and like me you should'nt have any problems...goodluck

....Tayla

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 6:36 pm
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
go with Western Digital Tera byte (that's 1000gigs)

perfect!

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 1:03 am
Was using a 500 that worked fine. Have since switched to a WD passport 160 gig(10,000 songs, only half way full). no plug and seems to use less power. still performs fine, even though its spin speed is slower. plus it fits in my pocket, which is handy when walking into a club where a dj has seratto or somthing going.

FYI: I don't recomend analyzing large batches of tracks while performing

You will also see better performance if you keep the folders you files are in under 200 tracks.

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 10:14 am
Why is there improved performance with folders with less amount of tracks? How do most of you organize the drives with folders?

right now i have just one big folder.

Inviato Thu 24 May 07 @ 11:15 pm
One of my internal HD has 6600 tracks. The main folder is named "music". Under that I have 16 sub folders. One of these folders is named "Big Band", and it has 475 tracks. There are 5 sub folders in there. One of them is named "Italian", and it has 75 tracks. Why would I ask the machine to look through 6600 tracks, when I know the track I'm looking for is in the Italian folder? I have a fast machine so it is not that big of a deal, and sometimes I may just search the whole drive?

BTW, I now have two 500g externals just for video. One has 1939 and the other has 444, all in .vob

Inviato Thu 24 May 07 @ 11:41 pm
another thumbs up for the external power supply... WD>*

Inviato Fri 25 May 07 @ 7:03 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
USB HDD has the same speed as internal one, and in some cases can be even faster since it has no OS on it to deal with ;)
I organize my music by every month and year, so more folders and less files in them. Works like a charm :)

Inviato Fri 25 May 07 @ 10:17 am
I have a Seagate extension hard drive - I bought it for my old Acer laptop, which, even though I had stored all my music files in the D-drive, was starting to get full - the day before it arrived, my Acer decided to crash - it would not proceed beyond the black DOS screen.

At least, if this one (Medion) crashes, as long as the Seagate doesn't give out, I can just load all the files from my Seagate into a replacement - heaven forbid I should have to - save me typing them all in again. OK, so I'll have to reanalyse all the tracks ...

Inviato Fri 25 May 07 @ 1:16 pm
I only use external hard drives and never had problems they work fine. no delays nothing.
besides you wil need external with video and music, the bigger the better.

Inviato Fri 25 May 07 @ 4:15 pm
I use 2 externals... one for video and one for music. No delays, no hickups even running 2 video at same time with affects / transitions

Inviato Fri 25 May 07 @ 5:09 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)