Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Amp – Speaker Question --- ADVISE NEEDED - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Some mobile guys, like myself, use active/powered speakers. If you look into that I would recomend the Mackie SRM450s, they need a subwoofer for any room bigger than a small bar but, they full on ROCK!

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 10:05 pm
I've heard Mackies .. they sound good. <-- i think they are more so for beginners. If you get self powered speakers, you have to get self powered subs.

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 10:39 pm
beach wrote :
Ok … im a mobile DJ … and I already own the CREST AUDIO CPX SERIES CPX2600 AMPLIFIER … it puts out 500 WPC @ 8ohms 750WATTS@4ohms

After looking closer to your amp specs. This is assuming you are running stereo thus getting 500 a piece. If you run bridged mono to achieve your 4ohm load you will more than double your power.

Specifications:

Ø Stereo, 8 ohms 1kHz - 500W

Ø Stereo, 4 ohms 1kHz - 750W

Ø Stereo, 2 ohms 1kHz - 1100W

Ø Bridged mono, 8 ohms - 1550W

----------Ø Bridged mono, 4 ohms - 2200W --------RUN IT LIKE THIS

This way you'll get more power to the speakers & have alot more headroom. And don't look for 4 ohm speakers anymore. Get a 8ohm pair. I like those that Steve sugessted....you can't beat that price. But remember that the "800 watts is peak not rms" so u might be able to find another pair that will do better. You'll have 2200 rms to work with. Plus I hope you have the limiter thats built in enabled : )

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 10:54 pm
Also, Run your speakers hotter than rated.

I run almost 1.5 times the rated power...

I run those behringers with 1000 watts each. You'll get much more headroom, and much more responsive speaker, but one must be careful, because the flip side is that you can toast a speaker pretty easily if you get silly and start cranking it up too loud.

also, the SRM 450 mackies are a great speaker. All of the crap you hear about thermal overload is Bull.. I have used my 8 srm-450 for over 8 years and have only shut them down twice. both times it was outside on a hot day in the sun while driving them way too hard...

I have hammered the living hell out of my mackies, and they take it like champs. turning on the low cuts seems to solve the problem, as that's what I've done ever since, and it allows the amp to not work as hard, thus generating less heat...

and when i say hammered on them, I mean ABUSED THEM!!!

Inviato Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 11:12 pm
Yeah I do use a self powered sub, no I am not a beginner. I have been DJing for over 20 years. I like the sound quality of the Mackies but, my other set of speakers is active also. I like the convenience of active speakers. The weight difference is negligable, and if you blow a regular amp, your screwed. If I blow an amp I can still finish the night with what I have left. Not to mention trying to do the math that Funk was so kind as to do in this forum. And then there is the additional element of cross-overs and compressors. With active all that is done by the manufacturers. So why go thru all this work???

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 2:58 am
I'll sum it up with 3 words:

Much Better Sound! : )

Although built in processors work okay (better than nothing) the processor I mention will do so much more...plus u won't hear it working.

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 3:26 am
I am entirely a mobil DJ at this point in my carrer. Every room is different, and using self powered saves me the time of setting up my sound each and every time I play out. Funk is right, if I had a hard install or, if I wanted to re-EQ three times a week, I would run just exaclty the kind of setup he is talking about. But for now I am an 45min./hour setting up, and that includes lights, 30/40 minutes tearing down and out the door. That was my desicion, I do not look back. Someone always asks me about my sound system and compliments the quality. Everyone needs to learn what they are most comfortable running. Me, when I have a lot of things to tweek, I spend too much time tweeking. When I'm tweeking, I am not paying attention to the room. So I chose this route, you need to choose yours. In live sound applications only the most descering ear can tell just how good your sound system after a certain point. Do not get me wrong if its bad everyone will know! Do your homework and you will be fine, if it costs a little more than you want, wait you will be glad you did.

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 4:44 am
damn three times huh. guess your going from a huge room to a small bar. that much eqing is really not needed. If your doing that much eqingin between tracks I would look @ your audio files not the system. Although multiband limiters will help that situation aswell, because it limits the audio signal in half (as far as freq.)

Mackie actives are good I use to use them as monitors when I mixed....but since then went to a smaller 8" active....talk about light & loud.

@ Beach if you measure the box & give me the dimensions I will find a woofer for you....so u can replace the one u have for a much more high power one. You should be fine with the hf driver you have.

If you really want to go crazy use the exsisting speakers you have now...get a crossover & biamp them......you'll have full volume control between woofers & tweets. Plus raw power going to it with its dedicated freq. Talk about a clean system......you can't beat biamping. You lose alot going through a built in xrossover.

You have many options just depends how you want to deal with it & what sounds more wise.

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 5:13 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Steve Lynch
I have a crown xs900 amp.600 wpc @8ohm.
Do you think the Beringer spkrs would be ok with this amp; or is the watts on the amp too small?

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 5:07 pm
Steve Lynch
- are you talking about the Behringer B1520 Pro Eurolive PA Speaker Cabinet 15 Inch 800 Watts .... from the picture it looks like its carpeted as well ?

Funkturnal
- I like the idea of Bridging my amp ... so if I go that route ... I will be starting from scratch on finding speakers that can handle my amp ... heh .. and the dicision is already hard :)
the Yamaha’s mentioned can handle a lot of power .. at least on paper….

These are the speakers I’m rocking right now .. I had a gig last night and clipped them out twice *blushes* it’s kind of embarrassing.
http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=DND15--BranchID=--DepartmentID=347--SubDeptID=59--CategoryID=--DeID=0

TopHouse
– I’ve never looked into EV’s … I always assumed they were out of my price range …. The ones you just mentioned (ElectroVoice SX300E 2-Way Loudspeaker (600 Watts, 1x12 in.)) are close to $600 a pair … though I hear they are great speakers.

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 5:52 pm
I believe Steve's talking about these:

http://www.behringer.com/B1520-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It looks like carpet but its not....its like a hard vinyl...much more durable, easy to clean.

I would just get those & the dominator limiter & call it a day. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased.

Just curious when you say I clipped them twice...do u mean u put the amp into protection mode where it turned off. Or do u mean you saw the amp redline?

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 9:55 pm

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 9:57 pm
"Just curious when you say I clipped them twice...do u mean u put the amp into protection mode where it turned off. Or do u mean you saw the amp redline?"

The community speakers have a built in limiter… so before you can blow them they will just cut the volume down by 95% … for about 30 seconds … I’ve been doing it a lot with my new amp … normally from the bass…. That’s why I’m wanting to upgrade the speakers so bad.

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 10:26 pm
k...whats happening are the peaks is causing it to cut.....thats what that limiter will prevent....that will never happen if you set it right (the dominator). I can walk u through on the phone if needed. You can get a basic compressor/limiter to do basically the same thing....but the huge difference u will hear it work......it wil sound like wave. But I think u have your solution by now. : )_

Inviato Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 10:40 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i wonder if someone is trying to shift their old limmiter?

and spanking a cheep amp bridged at 2 or 4 ohms is a surefire way of wrecking it. POP-fizzle. maybe not within 1 night but it will cut its lifespan by 3 quarters. stick with 4 ohm stereo for the best compromise

Inviato Sun 29 Apr 07 @ 11:54 am
Personally I do not like limiters heres why. I do mostly weddings, and am very active with the mic for these types of events. A limiter is great for protecting your system. I have never blown a speaker and I dont use limiters. When I am talking on my mic and running around the room, or if I am mixing and my EmCee is running around the room, I change the volume/inflection of my voice sometimes to get someones attention, or to make a joke. With a limiter it will "drop" the volume of the mic/overall volume to protect the components. So if I am building up during the bridal party intro for example, and get to the Bride and Groom and peak my voice "And Now The Moment We've All Been Waitng for" a limiter will not allow me to speak any louder than a certain level, hence taking away from one of my best tools. The ability to change my voice and inflection volumes. So for me a limiter is not a good thing. Decide how much you are going to talk, or how much are your guests going to talk.

Inviato Sun 29 Apr 07 @ 4:15 pm
@Dj Xeo - not shifting...I own two & will never sell them. If anything I would get another. Running that amp @ 4ohms bridged its not a problem, its made to do it. Now if it wasn't I would agree with your theory. & with a clean leveled signal that stays in the green....that amp will last forever.

@TearEmUp - I hear what your saying about the voice....but if the limiters are smacking it that far down u or they don't have it set right. Threshold is way to low, theres protection & theres going over board. Specially with cheaper limiters it will sound like crap. You need to know how to set it....I offer my help to people that need it. I too once didn't know about signal leveling. I was all about headroom etc. But theres different reasons to use different settings @ different times.

One thing that drives me crazy is the peaks you speak of....its pretty annoying (for the listener) when the mic gets hit on too hard. With a properly set processor when u get on the mic, the music will drop just enough for u to come through without passing the threshold thus leaving the sound @ comfortable level. Pleasant to listen to. Not to mention also you don't have to scream @ the top of your lungs @ the club to the person next to you so they can hear u........plus your ears not ringing after just 10 minutes from being on the floor.

Inviato Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 3:46 am
Man beach what a great response on this topic from the community. I've even learned a couple things of what to look for. This is great. I hope you got your question answered. Let us know what you decided to go with :-)

Inviato Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 4:29 am
@funk I know how far to push my voice with a mic so as not to make it uncomfortable for the listeners, I would'nt want to run any prospective customers off now would I?...lol! My EmCee is very skilled too, but he has worked for me for e few years now so that helps. I am not say limiters are bad,....... I am saying they are bad for me,.... big difference. I do enjoy this give and take of ideas though. Peace and....... I know you say chicken...Hair Grease!...lol

Inviato Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 6:26 am
haha...but I'm eating pizza today : )

Inviato Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 6:32 am
71%