Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Confessions of a 40yo VirtualDJ user

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi....thought I would crawl out and let all know the difficulties of being an older (40yo) VDJ user or Electronic music lover for that matter.
An earlier post caught my attention about younger VDJ users and I\'m curious to know if like me there are legit users a little older than the typical VDJ stereotype.
Myself I did not discover Electronic music until about 10 years ago, when a younger work mate lent me Sasha & Diggers....1st Northern Exposure CD, It really was love at first listen (that kind of Progressive Trance/House is where its at for me).
Having a wife and 2 kids with the typical house,car and living expenses, getting the equipment to mix my own tracks was never really an option until VDJ took my notice. I've since also managed to purchase the Hercules Mk II which gives me a taste of the hands on interface I've always wanted.
The downside is none of my friends my age have anything in common with the type of music I love, an example of this is any party or get together I would put on the old favorites at first......U2, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Metallica. Then when I was brave (Drunk) enough I'd put one of my own mix cds on, usually after 1 or 2 tracks there is too much complaining and It was off, I don't bother anymore.
There is a common misconception amongst alot of people around my age unfortunately that anything with a 4x4 beat is Techno, which is utter BS. So many times I've tried to explain to my mates that just like a killer metal riff electronic music has the same euphoric feelings during a massive breakdown, a chugging Bassline or a beautiful melody.
Anyway I've come to the conclusion that it does'nt matter how young or old you are if you love what you listen too it don't make any difference what anybody elses opinion may be.

Inviato Wed 09 May 07 @ 5:28 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Word man! All the way!
If you are in the electronic type like me (house, electro, vocal) try listening to some radios like one of the greatest in Europe www.radiofg.com . It will give you some direction what is hot now and a feeling you are not alone in your taste of music ;)
Also check this topic:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/1791/Music_discussion/Favorite_HOUSE___DANCE.html
which is one of my favorite.

Inviato Wed 09 May 07 @ 9:04 pm
wow are you old .......

i usually just barely manage to shuffle up to the dj booth w/ my walker and slam down some shots of

geritol..........lol

Inviato Thu 10 May 07 @ 4:49 am
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
HEY, I'm 52. Still pumpin out the hip/hop, techno and top 40 and now with the fantastic expertise of VDJ...videos!

Inviato Thu 10 May 07 @ 5:23 am
Well, I will out dance most post clubber's in hip hip, club style, and a little bit of latin style... I'm trying to teach my daughter how to feel the rhythm and not just listen to it. emphasizing that the body can move not just on the 1 & 4 beats but also hit every other, 1 & 2 beats...

now my son on the other hand can't find a single beat. : )))

Inviato Thu 10 May 07 @ 5:58 am
in the good 'ole days we had it rough ...........that doesn't make sense to me either ........." for dinner we had a bag of dirt , and if we were really really really good .......we didn't get dessert "

Inviato Thu 10 May 07 @ 6:40 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
40 is not old...I do know what you mean tho I am 35 and some of my friends dont like house/electronic they think it all sounds the same. Its not true as long as you have different BPM. yes maybe not many lyrics, but the lyrics these days in songs suck. Well dont get discouraged, just make younger friends. I have some friends in young 20's I may be the old guy but dont look or act like it.

Inviato Fri 11 May 07 @ 5:03 am
LoballHome userMember since 2007
hey i'm 42, and always enjoyed music. I never got into the whole djing thing when i was younger (actually I couldn't afford it) but now i've got a job and a few extra bucks, so far I'm in for about 2 grand, and still climbing. I was using my set up at the local VFW (veterans of Foreign Wars) club, but as the price tag on my equipment grew I realized that certain types of people don't care about your equipment. So until I get a booth built, gunna leave the good stuff in the bedroom. But hey it don't matter if you can still feel the music... go with it. BIG PROPS for us oldies... cause the college chicks dig it....

Inviato Fri 11 May 07 @ 7:07 am
doolowHome userMember since 2006
ill be 40 next month..and i play/listen to it all...and besides 40s the new 30...lol

Inviato Fri 11 May 07 @ 11:34 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)