Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: videos generally does not work on laptops??!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi,

I have tested VDJ with 3 laptops so far and all three has had audio distortion problem!! What am i doing wrong??

My test case is following with VDJ: Performance setting must be 3/4 or 4/4 of the maximum for good sound quality. Latency is set to auto.
I play two over 300mb vobs at the same time. First vob is analysed before and played around half way through. Then I load second vob and during analyzing I must be able to prelisten it and move it to the first cue point with xp10 scratch wheel without distributing first vob sound. I think this test is basic situation when beatmixing.

So far this test has failed with all 3 laptops I have tried!

My old laptop is zepto znote 6214w with intel 2.0ghz dual core and nvidia geforce go 7600 with
512 dedicated memory. It does not work at all with videos, cpu is 85% during test and I get
a lot of clicks and pops.

Second laptop was borrowed from a friend just for testing. It was Ibm Thinkpad 1.8 ghz dual
core and it has ati x1400 card. It did not have clicks and pops but actual skips on video and audio because cpu was over boomed 100% during test.

Now, Im just bought a new laptop, which is LIGHTNING fast HP nw9440 with 2,33 ghz dual core, NVIDIA quadro 1500M (same as 7900gs 512 mb) card: 3dmark06 result was superior 4200. I have deal that I can return this laptop in a week if it wont work....

Now, During test CPU is only around 40 %, but i still get occasionally pops and audio distortion sprouts on first video sound when moving back and forward second video. That is still too much for gig.

I have had win xp with all these laptops, only vdj installed and all possible xp tweaks done, really!

What do you guys do to make your laptops work? What is the trick?

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 9:56 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
perhaps you should try windows vista it has a new optimised sound and video api which makes it run smoother

nvida cards are known in laptops for having difficulty keeping up with mixing video some times

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 10:44 am
Hi, Strange you're having problems, all these laptops should work fine (Mines a 1.82GHz Centrino and plays videos well).

You know the first laptop, 80% cpu sounds very high, did you have the hardware acceleration box ticked? (if it's not, then that can make the CPU usage go very high). It's only a simple thing, but just throught I'd mention it just in case.

Also, you said you'd done just about every tweak, but just to double check, did you disable any wireless internet cards in the bios, they can often mess up sound cards (I guess you've probably read this already in a guide somewhere, but thought it might be worth checking).

Getting Vista did make a noticable difference to my system BTW, might be worth a try.

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 11:19 am
>You know the first laptop, 80% cpu sounds very high, did you have the hardware >acceleration box ticked? (if it's not, then that can make the CPU usage go very high). It's only >a simple thing, but just throught I'd mention it just in case.

It is ticked. I have tried both with and without.

>Also, you said you'd done just about every tweak, but just to double check, did you disable >any wireless internet cards in the bios, they can often mess up sound cards (I guess you've >probably read this already in a guide somewhere, but thought it might be worth checking).

Wireless service is disabled. I have special lite edition of XP, which have most of services disabled and only 14 processes running in task manager.

I have also tried 30-day period vista (with tweaks too) but it did not make any difference. Maybe videos did load faster but xp10s and esi u46dj had horrible distortion + lag.

Thinking logically, when 3 laptops have same problems, maybe the real problem is actually something independent of laptops?

>Maybe bad usb wires or usb devices?
probably not because i have alternative usb devices (I have 2 x xp10s, Dac3, esi u46)
and there is no combination that works. I also tried the test with only esi u46 and mouse to drag waveform and beatmix, same problem

> maybe my external mixer or headphones are broken?
probably not because I can watch videos with winamp without problem and use vdj as audio only without problem.

>Maybe bad nvidia drivers?
That might be the case. I have always used modded drivers from laptop2videogo site. Many different drivers but maybe all of them have some sort of problems?.
But there is no choice because manufacturer own drivers give me "error in video driver" when enabling video from vdj settings.
What drivers do you use people with nvidia?

(Maybe I was a bad person in previous life? ...Now that is definitely true! :)

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 12:20 pm
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You dont have to set the performance tab 3/4th or 4/4th for good sound qality
if the latency is set to auto and your not using safemode
then the sound quality depends on your soundcard.

try changing your master tempo setting from advanced to fast.
Also try to overclock

Thanks,

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 2:29 pm
lol, seems to be the only logical explaination!

I'm making random guesses now, but maybe your stripped down version of windows xp is missing something that virtual dj needs? (also, have you got the april 2007 update of direct x?)

I don't have a U46DJ, so I'm not an expert, but what settings have you got there? I guess you're using the ASIO drivers to try and get low latency, but maybe there's some options you could try somewhere in the ASIO config. (Have you ever had the u46DJ working by the way? if not, maybe it's just knackered!)

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 2:30 pm
I have dual boot with two win XPs. First one is common use with internet connection etc. And second XP is this super lite version with VDJ only. Both XPs have virtual dj installed and both have same problems, lite version a little less though.

U46 works perfectly when I use audio only. No matter if i use ASIO or WDM. I have also very old Hercules MK1 somewhere covered with dust. Maybe I Should try it too.

I want to use the performance over 3/4 because of better master tempo. With less performance the sound quality is clearly bad if you change pitch or do harmonic mixing with key changes.
If I use audio only (mp3s) I have none problems whatsoever. But when I tick video on, problems begin, even with visualization and mp3s. So I Think the problems must be video driver related. I think it is all about video drivers I get from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Is there any common nvidia driver (in 80, 90 or 100 series) that is guaranteed to work with VDJ with most nvidia cards?

I really like to get this solved! I have spent several months with this problem and burn a lot of money for it with all these laptops and devices.

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 3:25 pm
Quote :
I'm making random guesses now, but maybe your stripped down version of windows xp is missing something that virtual dj needs?

Anybody have a list of the processes it really needs? I recently stripped my XP down, and it seems like loading tracks got slower, but everything else is fine or better.

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 5:06 pm
Jakko:

As I said in my PM to you... I am running the same exact laptop (HP nw9440) as you have and I have no issues at all with VJ. I can run VDJ using all the default settings & drivers and it runs great for me.

But looking at your post... I did notice this:

jaakko wrote :
probably not because i have alternative usb devices (I have 2 x xp10s, Dac3, esi u46)
and there is no combination that works. I also tried the test with only esi u46 and mouse to drag waveform and beatmix, same problem

I am not running any of these devices. I am only using the USB MK2 controller which again, I have no problems with.

I can tell you that I did have one strange problem that just came up with my laptop (under Vista). I did a fresh install of Vista on my laptop... and it would blue screen every time it booted up. I found out that I run a Sprint PCS PCMCIA aircard for wireless interent access... and that was sharing an IRQ that the smart card reader was using. When I eventually tried disabling the smart card reader in device manager (since I never use smart cards)... the blue screens went away and I was good to go.

I have read here that its not good to have your sound card share IRQs with other devices on a notebook. While sharing IRQs may not always give bluescreens, sharting IRQs with your sound card can lead to unpredictable results (audio popping, locking up, etc).

I would start by disabling all the unnecessary stuff on the NW9440 that you don't think you will ever use. Find out what devices are sharing IRQs with those three items you listed above. Here is a good list of what you can probably disable.

Smart Card Controller
Fingerprint Scanner
(Anything listed under "security devices")
Mobile Protection
Any network adapter you don't plan on using on your VDJ partition (gigabit ethernet, wireless, etc)
SoftFax Modem
Mobile Protection
Flashmedia controller

Inviato Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 5:21 pm
Ok, I actually get the problem solved now! ....

I read another topic where someone complain about problems with latest version 4.3 of VDJ. So I Uninstalled current version and installed version 4.1. PUFF! All my sound problems was gone! I can play two very big vobs with full performance and no single click or pop at all! Nice!

I think someone should report the problem of clicks and pops on latest version to staff.

Well, anyway i am very happy now I got the problem finally solved :)

Lets see if I can now get even my old lappy to work with videos!...

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 3:38 pm
Well thats good its fixed. But its very strange. I run 4.3 with no issues. I still think it has to do with some of those USB devices you run.

But good luck with it either way.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 4:50 pm

Bump! Unfortunately I got the problem again... I had forgot to put keylock on after reinstalling.

It seems that useing
1) laptop with windows XP,
2) USB-audio soundcard
3) Keylock ON
4) performace slider at least 3/4 of maximum or more

is NOT working comnination. Why!? It has no matter do i play videos or audio. I get clicks and pops when moving scratch wheels.

I Need to have Keylock on and quality master tempo to make smooth harmonic mixes with videos. For example try to raise key tone of the song and slow tempo by few percents and try to move performnace slider from left to right. There is HUGE difference on audio quality.

So it seems I am not able to make quality harmonic mixes with this software.
I think it is a bug or slow algorithms and that really should be fixed.
Another bug is that to enable quality master tempo, you have to tick also enchanced scratch algorithm, which may cause problems.

Please fix these on version 4.4.

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 1:14 pm
MuelusPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I always recommend to people using usb devices that they buy a self powered usb hub to plug the usb devices in. It solved alot of problems for me and alot for other vdj users too.
got rid of all the pops and crackles for me.

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 6:29 pm
CanSpoilU wrote :
Jakko:

As I said in my PM to you... I am running the same exact laptop (HP nw9440) as you have and I have no issues at all with VJ. I can run VDJ using all the default settings & drivers and it runs great for me.

But looking at your post... I did notice this:

jaakko wrote :

I am not running any of these devices. I am only using the USB MK2 controller which again, I have no problems with.

I can tell you that I did have one strange problem that just came up with my laptop (under Vista). I did a fresh install of Vista on my laptop... and it would blue screen every time it booted up. I found out that I run a Sprint PCS PCMCIA aircard for wireless interent access... and that was sharing an IRQ that the smart card reader was using. When I eventually tried disabling the smart card reader in device manager (since I never use smart cards)... the blue screens went away and I was good to go.

I have read here that its not good to have your sound card share IRQs with other devices on a notebook. While sharing IRQs may not always give bluescreens, sharting IRQs with your sound card can lead to unpredictable results (audio popping, locking up, etc).

I would start by disabling all the unnecessary stuff on the NW9440 that you don't think you will ever use. Find out what devices are sharing IRQs with those three items you listed above. Here is a good list of what you can probably disable.

Smart Card Controller
Fingerprint Scanner
(Anything listed under "security devices")
Mobile Protection
Any network adapter you don't plan on using on your VDJ partition (gigabit ethernet, wireless, etc)
SoftFax Modem
Mobile Protection
Flashmedia controller

I know you have had it up to here, but don't put the 9 in your mouth just yet. I am curious if you have tried the above? I am trying to see why it works for him, and not you.

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 7:32 pm
i read some where that i belive it was HP computers running nivida cards, that hp takes the drivers and modifys them cause the standard drives dont work quite right. im not for sure if its hp or nvida hope that may shed some glimer of hope and i appoligize if im wrong

Inviato Sat 16 Jun 07 @ 8:10 pm
To CanSpoilU: What is your exact performance settings on VDJ?

If I put performance slider second from the left, everything (videos, mp3s) work FLAWLESSLY. I can spin scratch as much as i want without problems. BUT when I enable quality master tempo and keylock, i get cracks occasionally.

On this thread is a lot talk about video drivers, but the truth is that the problem is video independent. With above settings i got cracks and pops when scratching only mp3s and video off.

Maybe it is usb limitation and i should try firewire soundard instead?

Inviato Sat 16 Jun 07 @ 10:35 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)