Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External Hard Drive Question

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I have just purchased a 500gig WD external hard drive connected via usb. What Iam noticing while playing is that every 15 minutes or so the hard drive goes on stand by. If i search for a song while one is playing than vdj freezes while the hard drive wakes up but the song coming through the system never skips or anything. Is there anyway to set up the external hard drives not to go on stand by....? I have 80 gig external from FireLite and that one never goes on standby. Or is it a lost cause...any idea would be great thank you

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 5:55 am
Are you using a laptop? Is there something in power management, that is set to go to sleep? Is there software that came with this drive, or does it have a separate menu, with some info? I have 2 500g externals, and do not have this problems. I am using a desktop.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 8:23 am
I bet we have the same HD. Is it the Pro version, prob silver with Firewire 400/800 and USB 2.0? Its a known problem with the Hardrive. There are complaints in Forums all over the web about this prob. I haven't personally had it happen to me yet, but have read about it.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 9:28 am
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
Speed reduction on external hard-drives to reduce wear and power-use is a common thing.
This feature is usually very nice, but it doesn't work very well with perfomance based softwares.(Like DJ'ing, recording, etc)
Usually, this behavior is pre-installed on the hard drive's controller card, and vert few models out there have the possibility to change this setting(unless you are a "more than average" computer geek)
It's important to check if the hard drive you buy has "constant running speed" before you buy.
Unfortunatly, if this is not the case, I'm afraid you're stuck in your current situation. (Unless some computer "wizard" comes to your rescue..hehe)

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 11:57 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
It is some software that comes with the hard drive that does this, Windows by default don't set this in power management.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 2:38 pm
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Now I see alot of people using external drive
I think i even read a post where an external drive solved performance issues?

I don't use an external drive and I don't have performance issues
I use one only for backups.

Do you think I might run into any issues?

I have a 200GB Drive and about 80GB of music.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 10:09 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
External HDs do improve the way VDJ/CUE performs. The program utilizes the internal drive for controlling the music, and the external plays the music. I have recently made the switch and love it. My systems runs 100xs better. I did not move my music to my EXT, I copied it and re-scanned my music. The big rub I hear is the speed of the EXT drive. Also that the EXT is self powered not getting power from the usb connection. I was told the faster the better. So I grabbed a 7200rpm 200gig and could not be more happy.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 10:15 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
External HDs do improve the way VDJ/CUE performs. The program utilizes the internal drive for controlling the music, and the external plays the music. I have recently made the switch and love it.

I really do not see the logic in there, there should be no difference whatsoever. Virtual DJ is loaded into RAM and certain Windows services may be paged. Virtual DJ with no music loaded shouldn't take up too much memory. Loading a music track from either internal or external harddrive still results in it being decompressed taking up the same amount of memory on the host computer.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 10:21 pm
The WD Hard Drive I have is the one with the green light on the power button and its running from a laptop but it does it on my desktop as well...The way it goes on standby mode is when I cue up the decks but iam talking on the mike or something happenning that does not require me to search the database the hard drive goes on standby. if i play the songs cued up those are fine but if i try to them look at the data base its needs at least 30 sec to wake up...I hated it because the whole thing freezes and you get some beats in your heart that skip...thank good the music coming from the speakers has never skipped or frozen......the hard drive did come with a software i belive...i will look into it or even call the company.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 11:34 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
OK Andrew, bad choice of words on my part..it searches and retrieves the music from the external...leaving the machine HD to run all the other programs.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 11:39 pm
DJHelios wrote :
The WD Hard Drive I have is the one with the green light on the power button and its running from a laptop but it does it on my desktop as well...The way it goes on standby mode is when I cue up the decks but iam talking on the mike or something happenning that does not require me to search the database the hard drive goes on standby. if i play the songs cued up those are fine but if i try to them look at the data base its needs at least 30 sec to wake up...I hated it because the whole thing freezes and you get some beats in your heart that skip...thank good the music coming from the speakers has never skipped or frozen......the hard drive did come with a software i belive...i will look into it or even call the company.

Not sure if I mentioned it up there ^ earlier. I have the WD 500 gig HD, the Pro Edition (Silver, Lights up Blue in the front). I have found its a known fault that the hardrive goes to 'sleep' after 'X' amount of minutes. I believe it is 15 min. I researched it about 2 months ago. It's the HD and not power management in your comp.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 3:06 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)