Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 21st Bday Party

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Have to DJ a 21st Bday Party tomorrow night. The birthday girl is from Trinidad. I know I gotta play soca and reggae. Any recommended songs?

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 6:27 am
What, you mean you're a DJ and don't know what to play?
Wow!

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 7:04 am
You can't know every type of music , so that comment is not very fair ! i have been a DJ for about 20 years and play mainly in nightclubs and occasionally the private parties for friends etc. so if someone asked me to play soca etc.
1. i wouldn't have a clue about artists etc
2. i wouldn't have any
That is why the guy is asking for help with that genre of music , it is not the music he normally plays , sorry i can't help apart from the obvious .. Bob Marley , Dennis Brown , Desmond Dekker etc.

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 7:58 am
Nothing like waiting til the last minute, or you just got the call at the last minute. They are not into the "vacation, cruise ship, Bob Marley" type Reggae. It's not that they don't like those classics, it's just that they are into "dancehall, riddim, and reggeaton". The artist are too many to mention, but here are a few. Sean Paul, Terror Fabulous, Elephant Man, Lady Saw, Don Omar, Daddy Yankee. It may be a little late, but Xmix has a 7 disc Dancehall Devastation Series, that I can't do without. There will be some older relatives there also, so you will need some Soca, Calypso, Salsa, Zouk, Steel Band, Christmas parang, and Indian chutney. It might be a good idea to ask her for some of her favorite artist. Good luck.

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 8:58 am
goapmrHome userMember since 2004
Well psychedelic dub from the Mad Professor!! it is ok.

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 11:00 am
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
A Man and His Music wrote :
Nothing like waiting til the last minute, or you just got the call at the last minute. They are not into the "vacation, cruise ship, Bob Marley" type Reggae. It's not that they don't like those classics, it's just that they are into "dancehall, riddim, and reggeaton". The artist are too many to mention, but here are a few. Sean Paul, Terror Fabulous, Elephant Man, Lady Saw, Don Omar, Daddy Yankee. It may be a little late, but Xmix has a 7 disc Dancehall Devastation Series, that I can't do without. There will be some older relatives there also, so you will need some Soca, Calypso, Salsa, Zouk, Steel Band, Christmas parang, and Indian chutney. It might be a good idea to ask her for some of her favorite artist. Good luck.

He is almost right except for the reggeaton/salsa..most Caribbean peeps aren't into this music except for the Spanish speaking islands... you can exclude Christmas parang(not the season for this). But I guess you can play reggeaton/salsa if she has a few Latina friends at the party.

Here is good place to get some dancehall riddims : http://audiomaxxx.com/v2/index.php?cPath=1_3
Also a list of popular soca music : http://www.trinijunglejuice.com/socamusic.html

You're main genre should be: Soca ,Dancehall riddims, Foundation reggea tunes, hiphop & r&b for the young folks. Calypso for the older folks...

Inviato Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 12:00 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)