Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Anyone get an iPhone? - Page: 2

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

$150 a month. Do you get 500 free hours or something? That's one hell of an expensive contract considering how much cheaper things over there generally are. When the iPhone comes out here it will probably be about $750 contract free or around $350 on a $70 a month contract. I hope I'm wrong.

==============

Regarding the Xbox 360 Microsoft made a good move today at last. They've extended the warranty period of the Xbox 360 to THREE years. Anyone who's had to pay for repairs previously to do with the Red Lights of Death can contact Microsoft and get their money back. At last they're admitted there's a problem. IMO they should still do a full hardware recall, as most people will have their 360 break and then have to wait the 5 days for Microsoft to send them someone elses refurbished unit with the new cooling system.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/07/05/Show-_2300_233-The-one-with-Peter-Moore-on-the-Xbox-360-enhanced-warranty-.aspx

Edit: come to think of it, I shouldn't have posted this in here. ConQuest will probably get all his coworkers to open up their 360's and replace the thermal compound on the GPU with superglue and send it in for repair due to overheating...

Inviato Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 11:27 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm not hating on the iPhone at all...I'm actually loving it...hehe. I'm simple pointing out that I'm a bit dissapointed that they really didn't crush the competition when I know they could if they wanted to.

And also, I feel really sorry for americans who seems to have to take up a second mortage on their homes to afford a monthly cell phone plan..hehe
The price on the iPhone itself is good though. No problem with that....

Inviato Fri 06 Jul 07 @ 12:08 am
Just my last gig was enough for the 8 gig iPhone. I got the dollars stashed away so I don't blow it on booze tonight. One of the waitresses got one. I was playing with it earlier. I'm figuring out how to get one asap. I have the Moto Q right now with 2 gigs but its got nothing on the iPhone.

Inviato Fri 06 Jul 07 @ 3:11 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
iPhone is expensive, just like a Porsche is expensive.

But it's worth it's money!!!

The only thing that is expensive with the iPhone, is the monthly fee for the AT&T subscription.

If the price is the same here in Europe, i will never get an iPhone.

Inviato Fri 06 Jul 07 @ 11:59 am
JeremK wrote :
iPhone is expensive, just like a Porsche is expensive.

i've had a few of those too :-)

it's like an old saying i've had for years living out here in california. "the only guys complaining that all the hot chicks only go for guys with money, are guys that don't have any"

Inviato Fri 06 Jul 07 @ 6:43 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
skyfxl wrote :
people shoudlnt buy 360s they are nearly at the rate of returns to require a full product recal

They're way above it, but imo, pound for pound, it's the best new gaming platform available. I hope the iPhones sound quality is a lot better than the iPod. I wasn't too happy
Andrew87 wrote :
ConQuest I really have to wonder where you are getting most of your information from. The PSP in terms of sales is sucking compared to the Nintendo DS.

I actually don't have any numbers on PSP or Nintendo DS sales. I was simply thinking out loud that they were doing alright or at least better than most people thought a small form factor gaming device might do.

Regardless, I don't care about either the PSP or DS, we're talking about the iPhone here.

Andrew87 wrote :
Also what kind of stupid logic is it to say that your Mac fanboys are buying 360's to dent a hole in Microsofts pockets? That is just plain stupid.

No one said "Mac fanboys". I said Apple employees.

Now, unless you know the people that I know and bought the 360's for that EXACT reason, you probably shouldn't doubt what you don't know anything about.

Andrew87 wrote :
Not only that but analysts reported at least half a year ago that Microsoft are no longer selling the 360 at a loss.

I didn't say when they had bought them for that reason, now did I?

I first saw and was told about this occurrence over a year ago, well before your claim that analyst's said that 360's were no longer "loss leaders" and definitely during the time that they still were.

I even saw 360's at friends houses that were still boxed up because the owners had no intention of using or owning microsoft products in any way other than for the sole purpose of helping to bury them. They said they would re-sell them only after they were no longer money losers in order to get their money back, admittedly probably at a minor personal financial loss, but it's about the bigger picture anyway.

If you happen to think that's childish, then ask ms's CEO steve ballmer how mature it is for him to publicly comment on the fact that he won't let his kids use Google or iPods:

CNN Money: Do you have an iPod?

steve ballmer: "...at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod."

link
They have their ways of dealing with us, and we have our ways of dealing with them.

This is war. Make NO mistake about it.

Unless you have the relevant industry contacts or credibility in the matters that I speak of, you should just keep watching from the bleachers as those of us who are actually playing "the game" continue to do so Andrew87.

The game's FAR from over and it's getting REALLY fun right now.

The 1st quarter started in 2001 with Unix based Mac OS X and the iPod/iTunes combo. 2nd Quarter started in 2006 with the Intel transition and now Apple TV and iPhone are on the field too. New markets, new phase of the game. The iMac is warming up on the sideline and almost ready to come out to play, followed by Leopard in October and some surprise back-up players in this last half of '07, all leading up to MWSF '08 in January.

The 3rd quarter starts in '08 (summer WWDC, although MWSF in January will NOT be a dissapointment... just not the the start of the 2nd half of the game) and will leave us all speechless.

The quarters are shortening but getting MUCH more intense and exciting as former "supporters" (mostly by default) of the microsoft team switch to Apple's team as they further continue to realize that bigger does not mean better, better means better.

Apple's better.

On a lighter note, here's a funny and fairly well made music video called "Mac or PC": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkrn6ecxthM

[quote=d-v-int]Conquest, you are whats wrong with the Mac using community.

That is all.

d-v-int-

If you mattered to anyone (in any form whatsoever other than that you're a VDJ user, so I'll respect that... and that alone), I might actually care what you think.

If I were an un-responsible moderator, I'd ban you just because I can.

Yet I still allow you to post you're dribble.

You're welcome.

And now, back to the iPhone (on this thread at least)...

Inviato Sun 08 Jul 07 @ 11:49 pm
anewsome wrote :
i find it funny that people who do not have an iphone complain about things like " viewing a website on that little screen".

the multi-touch and drag interface lets you QUICKLY pinch, spread and zoom into full size websites while dragging them around with your finger very easily. ANY website being viewed with it's layout IN TACT, readable at arms length. try that with windows mobile.

of all these missing features, very few are not fixable with software updates. notably, 3G, lack of infrared, camera zoom, camera flash, GPS receiver, lack of video output, removable battery,.. all of these will not be fixed on THIS phone. nearly every other missing feature is likely to be added via FREE software updates, including mms, a2dp, video recording, etc.

and the end of the world "NO 3G" edge haters always fail to mention that the phone has a really nice WiFi implementation and VPN support included in v1.

it also is really funny how people say the phone is too damn expensive, i've heard that 100 times. it's the SAME EXACT PRICE as my Treo650 was and my HTC 8125! I never heard that once with either of those phones and this iPhone is light years ahead of both of those dinosaurs.

and as far as expensive plans, this plan is actually CHEAPER than my old Cingular plan, which was $150 a month. plus my new iphone plan has unlimted text messaging also (old plan was 2000 txt messages).

i guess hating the iphone is just becoming a new pasttime.

EXCELLENT and informative post anewsome.

I found it VERY distressing as well that the iPhone was getting blasted over at ExtremeTech (a community which I respect a lot) knowing that there was NO way that they could have been speaking from first hand experience:

"So here are ten reasons why you should NOT buy an iPhone. No doubt the Apple Cultists will flame me for saying it like it is but it's about time somebody did. So here is why you should avoid this vile piece of over-hyped crap:"

I thought for sure that microsoft had payed someone to write that article just like the time that they couldn't find any Mac to windows switchers and had one of their own Public Relations people pretend to have switched instead. Unfortunately for them, the great people over at SlashDot and an ensuing onslaught of web users exposed their ill-fated attempt:

Web users turn tables on Microsoft
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2329519.stm

"Microsoft has been caught using a fake advert that claimed people were switching from Macs to Windows PCs... The Microsoft advert was a response to the high-profile campaign run by Apple which showcased people who have moved from Windows to a Mac.

(image of ms's actual FUD page: http://regmedia.co.uk/2002/10/15/896.png )

As far as the ExtremeTech article goes, I was appalled at how biased and unfair the author was until I got to reason #1 of his "Ten Reasons Why You Shouldn't Buy an iPhone" rant:

"1. I'll Get to the Apple Store Ahead of You
If you've read this far then you've finally discovered the *real* reason I wrote this column.

You see, I'm out to dissuade as many people as possible from buying an iPhone so that I have less competition on Friday when I go to get mine. Yep, this entire column is nothing more than a self-serving ruse at giving myself the best chance possible to snag an iPhone on opening day.

The fewer people that are interested in the iPhone, the better my chances at getting one! So in this column I've just regurgitated all the usual FUD about the iPhone, Apple, and AT&T in a blatant attempt to discourage you from being remotely interested in buying one.

And I want one...make no mistake about it...I want an iPhone...bad! It's all I've been able to think about for the last few days...I've been dreaming of ditching my crappy Verizon phone and holding the sleek, sexy iPhone in the palm of my hand.

Yes...I must have one...and I will have one! No matter who or what gets in my way! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss....the precioooooooous will be ouuuuuuursssssssssss!

So don't even bother to leave your house on launch day to get an iPhone. If you do, you'll find that I got there ahead of you and bought the last one. Muhuhahahahha! Suckers!"

Ok, he got me... and an iPhone I suppose.

k_one wrote :
...I'm simple pointing out that I'm a bit dissapointed that they really didn't crush the competition when I know they could if they wanted to.

=D

- iPhone has been out for 10 days.

- Mostly sold out with over 1 million iPhone activations (estimated 40% are non-Mac using, NEW at&T customers) in less than 7 days, and that doesn't mean that only a million were sold (many iPhones that have been bought have not been activated yet) -

Inviato Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 12:40 am
Seriously, what is it with mac owners. Now I don't mean all mac owners, just the fanatical ones as yourself. Do you own stock or work for Apple? Also, when did you become a moderator? That's probably the wrong term, I suppose super moderator is more appropriate. You've been given priviledges to ban members?

Inviato Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 4:54 am
Informative and Entertaining post there ConQuest. Nothing wrong with being correct.

Inviato Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 7:02 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
ConQuest wrote :
k_one wrote :
...I'm simple pointing out that I'm a bit dissapointed that they really didn't crush the competition when I know they could if they wanted to.

=D

- iPhone has been out for 10 days.

- Mostly sold out with over 1 million iPhone activations (estimated 40% are non-Mac using, NEW at&T customers) in less than 7 days, and that doesn't mean that only a million were sold (many iPhones that have been bought have not been activated yet) -

I'm not speaking for the sale side of the iPhone..I knew that thing would be an instant success the moment I heard of it. But I'm thinking feature wise. They could have made the equivilant of an top of the line MacBook Pro, and instead I feel they settled for a MacBook. Without core2duo.
But then again, this is just the first iPhone, and I seriously doubt that it will be the last. So I'll just have to wait and see I guess :P

Inviato Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 7:49 pm
^ Yeah. I was going to cancel my script with Sprint and switch to AT&T but I think I will wait for the 2nd gen iPhones. I believe they currently do not have stereo bluetooth avaliable and I use that when I ride my bike.

Inviato Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 11:32 pm
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
^ Yeah. I was going to cancel my script with Sprint and switch to AT&T but I think I will wait for the 2nd gen iPhones. I believe they currently do not have stereo bluetooth avaliable and I use that when I ride my bike.

A2DP is a software issue. iPhone has all the hardware required to do streaming music over bluetooth (a2dp), a software update will add this feature. the only thing that would have made me wait until gen2 would be lack of 3G, that's a hardware thing. most of the missing software features can be fixed with an update.

currently, my biggest peeve, and it's a big one. there is no way to send a text message to more than one person at a time, something that the cheapest and most basic phones on the planet are able to do with no problem.

there are maybe 50 little software glitches that are just hard to understand why apple didn't fix before release also. another one i came across today: when you add a birthday for a contact, it doesn't put an event on your calendar and doesn't remind you when someone's birthday is coming up. again, something that the most basic smartphones will do automatically.

Inviato Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 1:04 am
I also seen that when sending a text and flipping the phone over to the horizontal mode it doesn't switch the keyboard horizontally. Thats another thing that would be a quick fix.

Inviato Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 3:08 am
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
I also seen that when sending a text and flipping the phone over to the horizontal mode it doesn't switch the keyboard horizontally. Thats another thing that would be a quick fix.

very few of the keyboard enabled apps allow for landscape style keyboard. really sucks cuz it's much easier to type in landscape mode. hopefully they fix that on the next update.

Inviato Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 4:30 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)