Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How setup my 2 hard drive ?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

pcl73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have a brand new notebook with a 160Go hardrive 5400. I've buy a second 100Go hdd 7200.

Which one did you suggest to me to use as Windows/VirtualDJ drive and MP3 drive ?

I have enough of 100Go for my music (using +/- 50Go)

Thanks !

Inviato Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 10:37 pm
If you only had to use one drive: The 7200rpm drive will run faster. hotter and produce more noise. I find a 5400rpm drive sufficient on my system; all but the most hardcore of gamers and video editors will find a 5400rpm drive sufficient. The drives cache is another factor which may make people decide, e.g. 2mb vs 16mb. You should be fine with the 5400rpm drive and having 60gb more capacity could be useful as your music/video collection grow.

Can your notebook support two drives? Must be pretty big, 17" plus? If it can support two drives, use the 7200rpm drive for Windows and VirtualDJ and the 5400rpm drive for music and pagefile. The only likely benefit you're going to see is that Windows and large applications load a couple of seconds quicker.

Inviato Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 10:49 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i agree with above , except for one small exception if you have large mp3s of 30 minutes or more

place these only on the 7200 drive as it can help them load better when used with the max load option

you can aslo boost general mp3 loading performance using the registry tool made by dj cel

click here

by enabling the speedload key , this dissables the security in vdj for low spec computers which loads songs slower to prevent crashes.

Hope that helps :)

Inviato Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 1:57 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I recommend:
Leave 5400 HDD and Windows on it
Use 7600 HDD as external
Add 2Gb ram and disable swap (page) file (for video you might need more ram, depending which video format you use)
Follow steps for optimizing machine for VDJ use in Sky's blog

I use audio only, Max load on 15Min, I have 1,5Gb ram and disabled page file and it is flying! My specs are in my blog.

Inviato Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 11:15 am
Andrew87 wrote :
If you only had to use one drive: The 7200rpm drive will run faster. hotter and produce more noise. I find a 5400rpm drive sufficient on my system; all but the most hardcore of gamers and video editors will find a 5400rpm drive sufficient. The drives cache is another factor which may make people decide, e.g. 2mb vs 16mb. You should be fine with the 5400rpm drive and having 60gb more capacity could be useful as your music/video collection grow.

Can your notebook support two drives? Must be pretty big, 17" plus? If it can support two drives, use the 7200rpm drive for Windows and VirtualDJ and the 5400rpm drive for music and pagefile. The only likely benefit you're going to see is that Windows and large applications load a couple of seconds quicker.

Yes I got a 17" supporting 2 HDD. Thanks for your help !

Inviato Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 8:13 pm
DJ-ALF wrote :
I recommend:
Leave 5400 HDD and Windows on it
Use 7600 HDD as external
Add 2Gb ram and disable swap (page) file (for video you might need more ram, depending which video format you use)
Follow steps for optimizing machine for VDJ use in Sky's blog

I use audio only, Max load on 15Min, I have 1,5Gb ram and disabled page file and it is flying! My specs are in my blog.

I already have 2Gb. And my 7200 HDD is a 2.5 size (So I can put it directly in my notebook)

Inviato Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 8:15 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Ok, that is nice, but if you have Raid option for stripping, you can't use them because they are not the same. If you do not use raid, than it is ok.
2Gb is ok for video, but leave page file on and fix it's amount on 1Gb.

Inviato Sat 14 Jul 07 @ 2:21 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)