Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hewlett Packard

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi everyone, just sharing some information with you guys. Some of you may be aware of my laptop problem. An interference crackling noise coming through the external soundcard.

I've had no luck in getting HP UK to acknowledge my problem, and while trying to get through again to them last night, i got through to HP USA by mistake. I thought i'd tell them my problem and see if they have any more knowledge.

Straight away the engineer told me that that external soundards should not be used with HP Pavillion range of notebooks!! They simply don't work was his explanation!

I couldn't believe it. Since February this year i've been in contact with HP UK trying to get the problem sorted, and i'm hit with this info.

I called HP UK and explained all of this and they completely clammed up. They blamed the soundcard and said they wouldn't be checking, reparing or replacing my machine becuase it was a 3rd party hardware problem, not the laptops problem.

I explained i had the problem in writing from HP USA (the operator e-mailed me a transcript of the conversation) and they got quite annoyed saying the engineer shouldn't have done this.

Bottom line is they won't do ANYTHING.

So, firstly, a warning to potential HP customers, secondly I've probably uncovered a problem they new about but are refusing to acknowledge to to how much it would cost them. Thirdly, has anyone else had similar problems with HP Pavillions? I'm assuming it refers to the latest range of models, the DV9000 series.

Gary

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 1:08 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Which sound card are you using, USB or PCMCIA? If you have USB sound card I recommend you to get PCMCIA to USB adapter and try it. If HP is stated that Pavilion has problems with USB, that should apply to USB controller only so it should work with PCMCIA adapter. Or you can get PCMCIA sound card.
I bought new laptop HP 530 and it is working perfect with Hercules MK2, so it must be problems only on Pavilion models.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 2:17 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
First of all, wanna say HP customer service also did messed up my laptop too couples of mths ago n their service is bad. That was involving my 3d max n autocad files. Still until now the enginner did not reply as promised so i give up.I using HP pavilion dv 5000 (old model).

Abt using external soundcard so far, i did not have any problem whether using via herc mk2 or behringer usb soundcard..

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 2:22 pm
Yes Alf, its a Maya 44 usb i've been using. I tried a creative soundblaster 5.1 as well and the same problem.

I was wondering if a fire-wire card would be any better. I do have the connection, just can't afford to 'buy and try' at the moment.

I'm using Vista that came with the laptop. Yesterday i put a copy of XP on and it all worked fine, even the maya soundcard!

I have two internal hardrives, so i'm going to try and make one XP for VDJ and one Vista for all other stuff.

The only problem is when i goto the HP website to download the drivers, it only gives a couple of basic ones for XP. There are none for the onboard sound, motherboard etc.

Gary

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 2:44 pm
So, the Vista is a problem huh? I tried Vista on mine at it was working ok, but had some cracks and pops now and then, not at the same time or pattern. I reverted to XP and it is working perfect.
Which model do you have exactly? My model has all drivers for XP and Vista.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 3:48 pm
Hi Alf,

The model number is Pavillion DV9288ea.

Looks like i'll have to trawl the net for XP drivers.

So, dual boot. How exactly does it work? I have to internal hard drives (160gb each) For best results should i have XP on one & Vista on the other? I've never attempted a dual boot system before.

Gary

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 5:09 pm
GaryBr you don't have to download the drivers from the HP site, I know I preferred not to. If you need your motherboard chipset drivers you can get them from the intel, via or nvidia websites. Depending on what chipset is used in your laptop. The only drivers I downloaded from HP's website was for the Infenion chip (I have a business model), MS HD Audio interface (non redsitributable), Fingerprint scanner, HD Mobile Protection and the MMC/SD card reader. Everything else should be available from the actual manufacturer.

Going from XP -> Vista Dual booting is a lot easier than the other way around. You shouldn't have any problems doing this when installing from the Vista DVD-Rom. The only problem you may encounter is the Vista bootloader will not recognise XP once installed, you may then have to use the FixMBR utility upto three times before it becomes accessible again.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 5:26 pm
Hi Gary
Here goes list of drivers for XP for your laptop:
Chipset
Video
I think for others like sound you can use the ones for Vista, I think they are the same for XP.
About dual boot, easiest way is to setup XP on one partition, and than launch Vista installation in XP and choose option "New Install" and install Vista on other hard disk. That way you will have option to choose which one to boot.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 6:04 pm
Guys, you both helped a lot, so thanks.

The problem i have is my Vista is only a recovery disk. I have XP pro as a full install disk. If i have XP installed and then use my Vista disc, i think it reformats my hardrive and returns it to manufacturer standard.

I have the option of having a different hard drive for each operating system. Is this the best & easiest way, or should i put both OS on 1 drive and keep the 2nd drive for files?

<confused>

Gary

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 6:47 pm
You can put them on the same disk but on different partitions. I think you can launch XP install inside Vista, just choose New Install and select partition you want to use.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 8:14 pm
You can, but Microsoft's disk partioning software has always been scary to use in comparison with paid products provided by companies such as Acronis and Symantec. You'd be safest to install the Operating Systems on different physical discs unless you fancy getting a hold of one of the above mentioned utilities.

Inviato Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 8:21 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)