Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need an external sound card. Will appreciatiate recommendations.

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi all,

Point is I need an external sound card preferable USB for my lap top which of course I use when I am Djing.
What really is important when picking a sound card?

I came acroos this UBS sound card from CREATIVE and suits my budget however will be glad if there are alternatives or words from the experienced guys in here lol ol

See specifications below and link for complete information.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=207&product=10246&nav=1

SPECIFICATIONS

Description
1)Interface USB 1.1
2)Output Format Analog Line Out, Headphone output, SPDIF1 Optical Output (PCM, AC-3, or DTS)

3)S/PDIF1 Sample Rate Optical Out 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
Bits Resolution 16 bits
Power USB Bus powered - approx. 160 mA

4)Connections and Controls

Audio Input:

* Line In (Gold-plated, RCA pair)

Audio Outputs:

* Line Out (Gold-plated, RCA pair)
* Line/Headphone Out (Gold-plated, 1/8" - 3.5mm)
* Optical S/PDIF Out1

USB Connector:

* 1x Type ‘B' port (upstream), bus-powered

Controls:

* Analog headphone volume control
* Analog/Digital output selector

Indicators:

* Power LED

+Supports Windows XP SP2

1 SPDIF pass through is supported on Windows XP and Vista 32-bit only.

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 9:56 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
This card is not suitable for DJ-ing as it has just one stereo output. You should consider Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 24bit USB or Maya 44 USB if you plan to use TCV. That is the cheapest solutions, than comes Numark DJ iO card or ESI U46DJ.

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 12:00 pm

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 4:53 pm
Yes, that is Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 24bit USB but it has only one stereo input, if you wanna use TCV, you need 2x stereo inputs.

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 5:07 pm
So wich soundcard would suitable to work it ?

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 5:28 pm
chansinPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I like and use the Gigaport AG. No problems with it at all.

Here is a link

link

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 5:30 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ-ALF wrote :
should consider Maya 44 USB if you plan to use TCV. That is the cheapest solutions, than comes Numark DJ iO card or ESI U46DJ.

To name a few.. but then there are mk2, NVV etc.. or any other cards that have 4x in mono input n 4x mono output or 2x stereo input n 2x stereo output.. But the ones that been recommended is the cards from ESI..:))

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 5:33 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
chansin wrote :
I like and use the Gigaport AG. No problems with it at all.

Here is a link

link

Yes, but Gigaport is no good for time code use either, it only has outputs, not inputs.

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 6:15 pm
gigaport is best u can get a generic asio driver if you dont want to use esi one or windows click on link

http://www.asio4all.com/

Inviato Thu 26 Jul 07 @ 9:12 pm

I will not be using TCV so I think the Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 24bit USB will do for now. What do you think DJ-ALF?

Inviato Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 10:54 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Maya 44 USB works great for me with TCCDs
When not using TCCDs I use a BCD2000.

Inviato Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 11:02 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
bansoboy wrote :

I will not be using TCV so I think the Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 24bit USB will do for now. What do you think DJ-ALF?

On behalf of DJ Alf(is it ok Alf:P), i would say yes:))

Inviato Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 2:06 pm
It is ok ;)
SB Live is very good card (and cheap), you should take it.

Inviato Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 2:32 pm
DJ-ALF wrote :
Yes, that is Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 24bit USB but it has only one stereo input, if you wanna use TCV, you need 2x stereo inputs.

Gentlemen, did you notice this fine print:

* Due to data transfer limitations of the USB 1.1 connection, it may not be possible to play back, record or simultaneously record and play back content at the highest bit rate and/or frequency supported.

Inviato Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 8:50 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
He can get a PIMCA USB 2 Card, I think they are only around $35.
Or he can step up to a "Echo Indego DJ card" it has 2 stereo outputs and a +10db output, where most cards including the soundblasters only put out -4db. That extra 14db makes a huge diffrence in the quality of the sound and can make everything run so much cleaner.

Inviato Fri 27 Jul 07 @ 10:48 pm
@A Man and His Music
I did, he said he will not use TCV, so USB 1.1 for SB Live is just fine for basic 2 stereo outputs, I have that card and it is working perfect. It has good output signal but Hercules MK2 has better, I think.

Inviato Sat 28 Jul 07 @ 6:07 am
I'm thinking of either the ESI Maya 44 USB or the ESI U46 SE, both are £65, the soundcard will be to replace my Hercules Mk2 completely. What sort of latencies do people experience with these cards? I'm looking for something around 5ms with master tempo on advanced and ideally scratch set to advanced too. Although the Mk2 can do 4ms at 48khz with master tempo, VirtualDJ does not detect the pitch correctly and using Asio4All or similar did not give me good results (in contrast to my internal soundcard where it made big improvements). The soundcard will be used with a new pair of Numark Vinyl which I plan to order at the same time.

Or would you recommend a better card? If so, what cards.

Thanks.

Inviato Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 8:18 pm
I think that both can deliver what you need Andrew, ESI 46 should be better, there is a new version (MK2), it should be nice.

Inviato Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 8:34 pm
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm not sure where in Europe sell the Mk2 for a price which I can afford at the moment. If I'm going to be paying £180 for a soundcard, I have thought about just going down the Serato or Virtual Vinyl route. Serato being slightly cheaper, but I believe the soundcard is compatible with VirtualDJ which I already own?

For the moment I think I'll go with the U46 SE, hopefully I'll get my order in soon; unless I stumble across some software which allows the Mk2 to work well in asio and 44.1khz.

Inviato Fri 10 Aug 07 @ 5:41 pm
I just ordered the U46 SE with 2x Numark Vinyl, having 6 outputs with the ability to output 5.1 won me over. Hopefully when it arrives all will work well. Will post my views on the U46 SE for other European users as I think America are still selling the superior U46 DJ which has phono pre-amps. That really would have been handy for converting my vinyl with best results.

Inviato Fri 10 Aug 07 @ 8:12 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)