Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ & Linux

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I'm in the market for a new laptop...still nervous about Vista. Does VDJ work with Linux???

Thanks for your help.

Bernadette

Inviato Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 8:56 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Nope, just Windows and Mac.

Inviato Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 9:28 pm
This isn't totally true, you might get it working with Wine, and it's even more likely to get it working with CrossOver Office but I have not tried myself.

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 12:47 am
Linux and Mac (FreeBSD/Darwin mixture + some own code) arent THAT different..

Maybe VDJ will be ported to Linux one day

And lots of people use Ubuntu (linux mod) these days... and I can understand why ;)

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 12:55 am
hackmiester wrote :
This isn't totally true, you might get it working with Wine, and it's even more likely to get it working with CrossOver Office but I have not tried myself.

I had 3.4 working with Wine, the performance wasn't desirable.

Ubuntu's installer annoys me. Every other distribution I've used, you can install the OS how you want using the GUI installer, i.e. tell it to use an existing partition. Ubuntu's gParted utility wanted to delete a partition and recreate it no matter what the scenario. I ended up losing a whole NTFS partition from it when it decided it was going to resize the drive incorrectly and overwrite the MFT. Nice.

Also for people with ATI cards, getting Beryl working isn't a walk in the park. Have fun recompiling your entire kernel.

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 1:03 am

As a curiosity

*Got VirtualDJ mac version running on my pc ;)

All you need is WMvare, a modified Mac kernal install ( dont ask where! hehe)

Its also possible to install Mac NATIVLY on a PC, with dual boot (will do that next) www.osx86project.org

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 1:11 am
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
A linux port would be Awesome!

I posted a while back that a linux dedicated box would be a great.
A one stop machine. Already tuned OS, Drivers and install
Dedicated hardware, gaaraaanteeed to work flawlessly.

U can only dream.

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 5:44 pm
Why not build a minimum XP installation using nLite and bashrat the sneaky's driverpacks (if you don't know what drivers you need).

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 6:22 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Andrew87 wrote :
Why not build a minimum XP installation using nLite and bashrat the sneaky's driverpacks (if you don't know what drivers you need).

Like an embedded OS? I've seen one at last DigitalJockey Show, used by the VisualDiscoMix mixing software. I't VERY optimised... but it's very expensive...

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 6:51 pm
Yes, it could be like an embedded OS. Boot time would be a lot quicker and ram usage would be minimal, there would be a lot more resources free for VirtualDJ. You could also make optimizations by doing away with explorer on startup and using VirtualDJ as the only interface. Also as there's less running there's possibly less chance of something going wrong.

nLite is free software and very powerful.

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 7:02 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
dj-in-norway wrote :
All you need is WMvare, a modified Mac kernal install ( dont ask where! hehe)

Shh can you hear it...shh.........listen......

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 10:12 pm

" sitting on the dock of the bay... "

Its a hidden da vincy code.. ;)

Inviato Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 10:30 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)