Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Vista thoughts

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What are your experiences with Vista?
Just purchased laptop for backup and so far I do not care for vista.
Can't seem to find things like XP, and also programs won't wotk in vista.
As for VDJ, Vista creates different folders which makes things more complicated.
Seriously thinking of going back to XP

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 5:46 pm

Takes a few weeks to get used to, but on my dual boot system (XP + Vista), I havent been much on XP lately.. Totally like Vista ;)

As for VDJ, next upgrade will make VDJ compatible for Vista.

My only drawback for Vista, is that sound is a bit of pain.
Worked easier at XP, when lots of programs used same sound out. On Vista it crackles, or programs just shut other programs out from using same soundcard.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 5:57 pm
There's a prerelease of Vista stability fixes floating around. Official release should be sometime this week. Fixes the infamous, it takes bloody ages to move files around, how hard could that be to code?!

Vista is an incomplete OS, always will be. Microsoft lost too much development time fixing XP (SP2) and now focus has been shifted to Vienna which is coming in 2009.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 5:59 pm

True...

A lot of things feels unfinished in Vista, thats also a drawback.

And that file-copy-takes-for-ever , or even just freeze, is a f..... pain in the a... lol ;)

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 6:00 pm
I personally like to Vista for the most part. I can navigate around faster now. It did take me a little while to get used to. The only thing I really don't like is the WMA player. When I rip audio and want to test things out. I haven't figured out how to search other drives since I dont place in library.

I do like the search feature that's available on all screens. Sometimes ripping video I forget to change the folder location.

I agree with the moving files is a pain... It has to calculate time to move then move files... Just move the Damn thing.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 6:05 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 6:19 pm
Microsoft give me free software including VS2K5 Team Suite ($10000 :o) so I can't complain too much :D But yeah, the Vista versions are ridiculous.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 6:21 pm
I love Vista. Works like a charm for me. All my programs work great.

I still use XP for VDJ though. Much easier that way.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 7:01 pm
I really don't like the way it makes 2 xml databases for VDJ. Most of the VDJ library is in the owner XML:, there is some stuff in the plain xml database but it isn't the vdj library.
Also has a bunch of crap on there I don't want or need. They don't give you a detailed list of
what is on the system as a trial and which are actual programs.
My actual gig machine still has XP , which I will leave as is.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 7:07 pm
VirtualDJ makes two database on XP as well. I think the main database is a universal one accessible from all accounts and your username one is specific to your account. Although I've never tried to see if this is true, as I have a single user system with the administrator and guest accounts disabled.

I'm not aware of Vista having any demo software on it. Perhaps it was preloaded by your OEM.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 7:10 pm
there is currently NO difference in how VDJ makes the database on XP and Vista

Its two database XML on both OS versions, like Andew said

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 7:40 pm
I should have clarified. Vista came with the laptop. That's probably all the other stuff came from.
Norway:
My mistake. The 2 databases are not made from vista. It's a VDJ thing right?

Andrew:
The way vista is set up for me is showing me as the owner & administrator. I will be the only one
using this system, so I hope this is set up correctly.

I have to play with it some more.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 8:20 pm
bogart wrote :

Norway:
My mistake. The 2 databases are not made from vista. It's a VDJ thing right?

yupp.. there are NO difference with VDJ running on XP and VISTA, its exactly the same....

Next version of VDJ will have some improvements about that, but it will still be exactly the same, regardless of the OS. Just changed a bit, to make it more Vista friendly.

Inviato Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 8:25 pm
dj-in-norway

I just setup my dual boot system , what i did was use Norton Partition Magic on a 250gib hard drive to do a dual boot XP = c , Vista = D drive. I was able to keep xp from seeing Vista on the D drive (If you go to my computer you would only see the C drive in XP). I am trying to do the same in Vista. Do you know of away to do this?

Inviato Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 3:38 pm

Problem with dual boot on SAME partition, with XP and VISTA, is the System Restore.

You'll get lots of FDISK error messages about corrupted files, each time you switch OS.

To prevent that, the only way is to turn system restore OFF (or use BitLocker to encrypt the vista partition, if you have Vista Ultimate)

The SAFE way and superb working way of XP and Vista on same PC, is using TWO drives, one for each OS (physical drives, and not partitions).

To prevent Vista seeing the XP drive, I'm not totally sure of. I know you can prevent XP from seeing Vista drive, but not sure if you can the other way around.

Inviato Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 5:26 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

Problem with dual boot on SAME partition, with XP and VISTA, is the System Restore.

The SAFE way and superb working way of XP and Vista on same PC, is using TWO drives, one for each OS (physical drives, and not partitions).

To prevent Vista seeing the XP drive, I'm not totally sure of. I know you can prevent XP from seeing Vista drive, but not sure if you can the other way around.

I run dual boot Vista and XP on the same HD.... using different partitions. One is on the C: drive and the other OS is on the D: drive.

System Restore is a bit overrated IMO so I simply turn it off. I don't go crazy installing a ton of crap on my laptop anyways. If I sense my laptop is acting funny... I simply reformat. I don't jerk around with system restore.

I use Norton Ghost to take a snapshot of both OSes when I first install them so if I ever need to wipe them clean quickly... I do a ghost restore. Takes a couple of minutes and works great. Usually if I have to do this... I just ghost restore the XP partition that has VDJ because thats the one I want running flawlessly.

If it ever comes a time I need to reinstall Vista... I simply reformat the entire laptop and recreate all the partitions and ghost images.

If you run the Vista install first to create the partitions... then install XP then install Vista.... you don't need any 3rd party partition magic. Vista will create the boot menu itself.

Inviato Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 2:10 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)