Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: usb or firewire

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Which one is faster or and better?

Thanks

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 1:38 am
Firewire

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 1:59 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes.firewire

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 3:49 am
i thing usb is bettre becaus ethe speed id 480mbs than firewire 400 mbs.what you have to say for this?

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 10:03 am
speeds are "up to 480mbs" do they actually transfer that fast?

is it possible to make a external usb hdd in to a firewire hdd?

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 10:13 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
well that depends on the quality of the cable and the device in question

most sources point to firewire if you have a port its ment to be faster in expermiments

however you may wish to consider for most compatablity ie if you ever want to use it on another computer , every pc has atleast one usb port.

its not possible to change that unless you remove the internal harddrive and place it into a firewire external drive caddy , which would void all hope of a warrently

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 12:43 pm
Firewire is generally faster and can sustain better read speeds. It also has dedicated bandwidth, usb has to share everything. Firewire uses a peer to peer architecture but usb uses the dated master-slave (which I don't think we're allowed to call in computing anymore because it's not politically correct).

But as sky mentions, usb has the best compatibility - nearly any machine you use, whether it's at a library or a friends will have usb. Not all will have firewire.

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 4:45 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just for interests sake, if you have a computer with an eSATA port on it, then this will obviously outperform both USB and FireWire.

This is because the hardware doesn't have to convert and re-convert the hard drive signals to USB / FW and back again. eSATA provides the same bandwidth as an internal SATA drive.

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 5:56 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Andrew87 wrote :
But as sky mentions, usb has the best compatibility - nearly any machine you use, whether it's at a library or a friends will have usb. Not all will have firewire.

or a cheap arse clubmangers computer never again will i make that mistake lol owch

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 6:08 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
My vote goes to eSATA, tried it and it is faster than anything else. Off course, this makes sense only on faster HDD's (250GB and above where 16MB cache starts).

Inviato Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 6:36 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)