Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: It's madness I tell you!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I need to vent.

I was at a wedding this weekend. The "DJ" is a local radio personality. He charged a standard fee of about 900 US dollars for the gig. I saw the laptop, speakers, and a stand kit with a few lights on it. I rounded the back to see if he was using VDJ. To my amazment - there was NO mixing going on. He was using Windows media player and a play list!

OK, is it just me - or has this been going on for a while?

I thought the idea of being a DJ was to mix the music. He wasn't even being much of an emcee! To his credit - he did not play the "Chicken Dance" once!

OK, I feel better now. I think I will go for a lay down.

Ronny582

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 3:29 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
It could be, but mainly for an event that requires a jukebox just to play the requested songs, nothing more is needed then an average player. What they really paid for was the personality, and with that i'm sure they got exactly what they wanted.... a fun half ass MC and whole ass DJ (no that is not a new group) lol

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 3:37 pm
Heh, that's pretty funny, but I've heard of much worse things. Like the DJ on one of those court shows I saw with mom, the guy played all 80's music for a sweet 16 party. Heh, I think we need a list of don'ts for mobile DJs..lol;^]

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 3:39 pm
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Heh, that's pretty funny, but I've heard of much worse things. Like the DJ on one of those court shows I saw with mom, the guy played all 80's music for a sweet 16 party. Heh, I think we need a list of don'ts for mobile DJs..lol;^]

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 3:40 pm
it's not that uncommon .... at my good club the one guy is a gr8 mc but uses pcdj ?? he doesn't really mix .....just talks over everything .... me i mix and don't jabber anywhere near as much

at my crap club my "hero" has a cracked version of vdj and doesn't mix ......has a badly setup auto play and in general doesn't know shi# about vista his lappy or vdj ......but he makes up for all that by showing up late .......

they wanted an MC and a big name and they got it ......strange that he had no tech or dj while he MC'd and charged normal fee ........

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 3:51 pm
I was never a mobil dj (have nothing against it).

I was speaking from personal experience.

I played in large NRG - House clubs and never spoke/emceed....i was too busy mixing! I am not used to anything but. It just seemed really odd. I was used to non-stop house music as the venue. Where I worked, the public couldn't even really interact with the dj.

I guess I agree with the previous statement....it just seemed a little like a glorified jukebox - at a high price.

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 3:56 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I hate those DJ's, talk and play music, they're called "fun pub" DJ's, but there's nothing fun about a show that's been done a million times over, I think YMCA is one of those you play if requested only, by now, surely.

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 8:43 pm
AMEN....

I guess I was just out of the loop on this one. I had been to weddings with dj's before but they rented a club and used the club ds as a venue and yes you get a little more chatty with the guests at something like that - but the likes of this - I had never seen.

It was this side of a bad game show.

I love your "Fun Pub DJ" title. It was just cheesy.

Inviato Mon 13 Aug 07 @ 10:16 pm
Different venues and different occasions demand different types of music and presentation. Different types of DJs cater for these needs.

Just because you don't think it's cool doesn't matter at all if someone else is enjoying it (and paying for it). People want to have a good night and the DJ who delivers that will get more money and more gigs.

Audiences in general don't give a sh** about mixing skills. They just want to keep on dancing to the tracks they like.

Inviato Tue 14 Aug 07 @ 10:52 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
asymptote wrote :

Audiences in general don't give a sh** about mixing skills. They just want to keep on dancing to the tracks they like.

True even tho they subconsicious abt it:)

And i not fond either to dj who did not mix at events ,only play a playlist or a dj at clubs who just slammed in the tracks most of the time.. and yet they called themselves a dj whereas i find they more to sound man ,,this is not good, betta yet just book a jukebox to do the job.

Inviato Tue 14 Aug 07 @ 1:00 pm
i've been to a wedding were the dj was a radio dj and he did a real crappy job and i told him so
the groom ordered him for $600 and what the real bad part was that he didnt play a thing that the party wanted to here all the guests were wearing cowboy hats and boots, now what type of music would you play. well he did the opiset, he played hip hop, and turned the lights off so he could do some crapy lighting job with the par 64 cans and a strobe that wasnt even close to the same beat but all this while the wedding reseption pics are going on and no one could see. then when some one turned the lights back on he went and ripped that guy. oh yea and he was useing tapes and records and this was only 7 years ago not a cd in site not even a cd player go figure
well all and all it was a great party......... well after he was thrown out and we got the radio out.

where was my gear u ask 200 miles away.

Inviato Tue 14 Aug 07 @ 6:02 pm
I went to a birthday party quite a few years ago now.

All seemed good, until about halfway thru the night, whilst everyone was on the dancefloor i suddenly realised something. There was something oddly familar about the order in the tracks he was playing... then it came to me, i had a pre-mixed dance album, with the same songs, same order, same mixes!

What's the problem with you may ask?

Well the DJ the whole time was pretending to be cueing and mixing the songs himself, seriously, i watched him for sometime!

Ultimately no harm done, everyone enjoyed themelves, but just a little cheeky i thought!

Inviato Tue 14 Aug 07 @ 6:11 pm
Thanks, I am diggin' these "Did you hear the one about..." stories! Keep em' coming.

I understand that it takes all types - and that people can have a good time - but like someone said- do they realize that apparently they could have had JUST as good of a time with a bad mix cd from the store and a boom box... and saved 800 bucks???

I also know that given enough tequilla or E and people will dance to ANYTHING.

Ronny582

Inviato Tue 14 Aug 07 @ 7:19 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)