Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: COMPLETE BASIC GUIDE TO TCV SETUP, ENJOY :D

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

HEY GUYS, I\'M SURE THERE IS ALREADY A POST ON THIS, BUT I NEEDED TO TALK ABOUT IT WITH YOU GUYS FOR MY OWN PERSONAL REASONS, SINCE IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO MASTER THE TIMECODE VINYLS.

ok, well here goes,

So before I got everything I needed, I started out with just the turntables being hooked up to the hercules soundcard, and it would work, but not that great,

and reason being is that the hercules is very sensitive guys. Imagine driving a honda civic, so now you want to add some super charges, but it won\'t be able to handle it because it has a stock engine, so you would have to upgrade some parts of the engine to get it situated without exploding up. right?

Well same thing here, like when your wanting to use timecoded vinyls, its gotta work the same way.

So what I did, was I bought the program Torq. Now I haven\'t used Torq completely, but its a nice program from what I have messed with. But nothing and I MEAN NOTHING, compares to VIRTUAL DJ. lol, I have to say that, because I love virtual dj. But enough about that.

Well when you buy torq, or serrato, there is a interface box that comes with it. Well, connect your turntables into the interface card, going in on decks A and B, and going out, to a external mixer, it doesn\'t matter what kind of mixer, any mixer, but going out to the mixer LINE IN, not phono.

Now heres a brief explanation. On any soundcard where its serrato, M-audio Connectiv, U46DJ, MAYA 44, whichever, it doesn\'t matter, but anyways, there should be switches to hit over to PHONO. Make sure its PHONO, and NOT LINE-IN. LINE-IN is only if your going to use the cdj\'s or any other cd deck with time code cd, REMEMBER THAT.

Ok, so for example, I have two vestax pdx 2000\'s mk2\'s and a Numark DXM-06MIXER, its not the best scratch mixer or battle mixer, but its a good mixer to get you by.

BASIC SETUP REQUIREMENTS
1. Get vinyl turntables whether they are belt-drive or direct drive.(direct-drive recommended) (belt-drive minimal requirements)
2. GET MIXER (Turntablists need any VESTAX mixer or PIONEER MIXER, but you can use any mixer to mess with) For non-scratch dj\'s just mix dj\'s, you can get by wiht the numark dxm-06, pioneer djm400, any american audio mixer, gemini, doesn\'t matter.
3. GET A ASIO SOUND DEVICE SOUND CARD, (M-AUDIO CONNECTIV, SSL, MAYA 44, U46DJ, etc.) My opinion I would stick with the MAYA, THE M-AUDIO, and the SSL, just because they are strong soundcards in my opinion after testing out all other soundcards.
4. HAVE PROGRAM TO TRY THIS OUT ON. Examples: VIRTUAL DJ, TORQ, SERATO, DJDECKS, TRAKTOR, FINAL SCRATCH, etc.
5. 8 RCA PAIRS OF CABLES.

SETUP REQUIREMENTS:
1. Position your turntables however you want. Next plug in RCA jacks into Asio card, so there should be 2 inputs and 2 outputs.
Connect 1 or two turntables into decks A and B into your soundcard. Then take another pair of RCAS and connect them going into the ouputs of your Asio into a external mixer and going in \"LINE-IN\" not phono. And remember when your pluggin your turmtables into the \"INPUTS\" of the \"ASIO CARD\" make sure to switch them into PHONO FOR ASIO AND LINE-IN FOR MIXER.

2. In your options for instance, I have the hercules MK2, 6 external harddrives, my laptop, my mouse, and my head phones. Now I also have 2 vinyl turntables (direct drive), and a external mixer.
Options:

Hercules has a little window on the side of your start bar for windows with the mk2 icon on it. Click on it, then select ASIO tab. Then go into advanced, and click on external mixer which basically isn\'t disabling the hercules but its letting the external mixer dominate as the primary soundcard.

Now that you have done that, open your VDJ up, and there might be a window that pops up that says error in \"Asio\" card, and that basically means that you don\'t have it set up in VDJ yet. So once VDJ is opened up go to config which is usually located on top right and click on it.

3. VDJ SETTINGS:
ok so first what you want to do is you want to select either one or two timecode in the picture box of the scroll down window under input.
Then for output, you can select headphones to speaker to mouse, or external mixer, or external three channel mixer. I usually just click on external mixer, because with three channel if its not there, vdj will freeze, and I MEAN FREEZE. lol, so this will not work for a gig guys, DONT TRY THAT\".

So for ouputs i select external mixer.

Then VDJ should automatically recognize your sound card. Right after the ouputs tab, under it will say SOUNDCARD, and depending what you have it will have two soundcards. For me it shows the hercules and then ASIO. SO I select ASIO. Once you do that, a smalller smaller tab will open up saying that it found the Asio sound driver and it will show your \"SOUND CARD DEVICE SUCH AS MAYA 44, M-AUDIO CONNECTIV, SSL, ETC.)

4. Finally for the input channels and the output channels. INPUT CHANNELS : 1 & 2 LEFT DECK/ CHANNELS 3 & 4 RIGHT DECK
OUTPUT CHANNELS: LEFT DECK CHANNELS 1&2/ RIGHT DECK CHANNELS 3/4

5. Last but not least, I\'m sure you guys are wondering about the performance tab. I have my fader all the way to the fastest preset.
Sound card is at 5ms Latency or 256 seconds.
Safe Mode and Overclock is unchecked.
Scratch is optimized for quality.
Simple Algorithm is checked.
Basic interpolation is checked and Master Tempo is advanced.

For timecode options, leave everything the way it is and don\'t mess with anything. The only thing you want VDJ to be told is to read the vinyls as relative. Not absolute or smart, and the reason for that is because relative is kinda like how the hercules and your mouse works when you mix songs and stuff. so everything always stays even on the graph. On TCV\'s if you select absolute, it will still work, but this is for advanced users and people that are very familiar with vinyl. So they don\'t use the graph but the ear. Smart is for users trying to drop the song on cue, and then exiting out the other song. Relative, is kinda like both options. But I prefer Relative over absolute. Reason is, sometimes the song will go faster than normal. and sometimes it won\'t read. Relative is GUARENTEED.
RELATIVE=GUARENTEED PROCISION at least in my opinion it works great wonders for me.

Ok now something I did neglect to mention is that if your vinyls have the quartz lock button on, make sure to turn it off first, because there are two quarts buttons. One in VDJ and one in your turntable. So uncheck it first, then when you have a song loaded on the deck, then click on the \"on button for the quartz\" and now your songs and mixing will work wonders.

Heres another thing to note, the hercules is like two decks and mixer too. So its like me having four decks, basically, and you can still use the options on the hercules. But then that defeats the purpose of the timecode. Right? Just thought I\'d let ya guys know about that.

Hope all this works out for you guys, and if you have any other additional questions, feel free to chat with me on msn messenger or email me at jcflores1@msn.com

again thats jcflores1@msn.com

I know there are several guidelines on the whole procedure on how to set it up, but hopefully this will guide you in the right path if your still lost.

Happy MIXING AND SCRATCHING.

:)

Inviato Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 11:16 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This is a nice post..well said n i sure most new user will benefit from this:)

Inviato Fri 24 Aug 07 @ 11:30 pm
thanks dj spinna,

:)

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 9:21 pm
thanks, i've certainly benefitted from reading that!

i'm a Virtual DJ user and already have Hercules and 2 turntables + mixer.

i was wondering, do you need to use Virtual DJ's own brand of Time coded Vinyl or can you use others (such as Serrato, Torq etc) with Virtual DJ too?

if so is there any difference in performance?

Inviato Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 12:01 am
I think you can`t do TCV with the home version, however the Torq vinyls for example will not work. They are MSPinky based yes, but they use a different timecode as the original MSPinky ones. For myself i bought VDJ TCVs to be on the safe side but with version 5 you can also use TCVs of different companies.

Inviato Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 7:36 am
Thanks. I'm going to upgrade to the Pro Version, I just wondered whether it was essential to use VDJ TCVs or if I could get away with using Serato TCV etc (as I've seen those locally available in shops for a cheaper price than the VDJ TCV and I won't have to wait for delivery)

Inviato Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 1:13 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@dj jcfloresxbox360

Hehe.. i not DJ Spinna (there is already DJ Spinna ard and famous too..)

I'm called DJ Antarez,, :) SpinnaJ is my log in name here tho:P

@Danmiracle

Yes , it is benefit to upgrade to pro ( N u could have the discount as u have the home version) n serato plugins n others are been tested n will be available soon..hence u could have different timecoded Vinyl with VDJ:)

Hope to see u as a pro user soon:)

Inviato Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 3:26 pm
ok my bad my bad dj antarez, lol,

@danmirale,

believe it or not i can use torq vinyls with vdj, or vice versa... Is it recommended that you stick with VDJ timecode, yes and no. I'm very open to other programs, but what I was trying to say was that everything is mainly based on your soundcard and not the vinyls.

Remmeber when i said the hercules is very delicate and it can't handle alot of frequency? thats why I pointed out the different soundcards, so hopefully that helps you out in your setup,

thanks for the replies back,

and keep in touch if any other problem persists.

-ROCKSTAR DJ JC FLORES

Inviato Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 10:22 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Sun 26 Aug 07 @ 10:34 pm
hi. i've got my turntables hooked up to my hercules now, however as soon as i open virtual dj i can't change the audio source. is there any way around this? i'm not too great with all this business, so sorry if i'm just being stupid.

i just want to record my vinyl so i can mix with them on my computer. is there any way i'm ale to do this without opening virtual dj?

edit - i've got it to play through virtual dj, but i don't know how to record it. is there a way?

Inviato Thu 20 Sep 07 @ 2:45 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
use the ripvinyl program

start> virtual dj > rip vinyl

Inviato Thu 20 Sep 07 @ 6:50 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)