Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lighting & Audio On A Single Circuit?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, using both audio and a bunch of lights on a single electrical circuit can sometimes create nasty audio interferance. I'm wondering, does anybody have any tricks or tips they'd like to share for events where seperate circuits are not an option? Is this another thing ground loop isolators would take care of?;^]

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:04 pm

Groud loop eliminator yes ;)

And you can also try using NON ground extention cords at some of the equipments

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:06 pm
Thanks for the quick reply! Guess I'll have to go buy a few now, it's suprising how many places here still operate on a single circuit;^]

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:12 pm

true.. A mobile dj should never go to a gig without a ground loop eliminator.. its a djs best friend when hummin is cummin :)

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:14 pm
Who's hummin? ..lol.. js kiddin'

Seriously though, one more question, should I get three to put between my pc/ mk2 and mixer or will just one between my mixer and amp work?

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:20 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Cut away the ground pin on the main plug of your audio equipment. This should be enough; if it's not, buy a ground loop eliminator, or a 1:1 transformer.

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:25 pm
TexZK wrote :
Cut away the ground pin on the main plug of your audio equipment. .

will work, but is extremely dangerous..

Might kill your equipment, and even you, at worst case scenario..

Ground is there for a reason :)

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:30 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Low voltage will also create some hum I found out once.
Always try to isolate lighting from system and if possible isolate sound power as well.
A power conditioner like Fuman will show you available voltage under load.

This is part of my normal sound check, turn on all the lighing, crank up the sound and watch the voltage to see how much drop there is.

Another consideration is to use quality 12awg extension cords, long runs through 16awg wire will also cause voltage drops.

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 3:52 pm
ive had one of these cause pops out the speakers every time you change the switch and found that its due to the fact that the when the relays get a bit worn there is a ark from the contact and switch inside the unit. was this edsact unit but one close to it and it was on the same breaker but if it was on a speret breaker it was fine
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waGroup1datarq~[waGroup1datarq]~eqint_KeyIDdata~30822~itemNumber~[item_number]~UID~2007082508223762~disp_IMG~Y~catgroup~%5BcatGroup%5D

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 5:27 pm
hey, guys would not recomend cutting ground off plug your equipment depends on that and more importantly so do you overcurrent needs a place to go if it does not have a place go you are the place!!!! what creates overcurrent ? short circuits,lightning,backfeads such as someone hitting a utility pole close to your gig that overcurret could find it's way to the cuircut your plugged in to rare but can happen.

as far as voltage drop this is important also you can damage your equipment in US should be between 110v - 125v You should caculate the load of all your equipment this is done by wattage tipically in most commercial settings the circuit will be 20amp this means you can have a max load of 1875watts over a 3 HOUR period. keep ext. cords short as possible and should be 12awg note should always use power conditioners this helps cleaning power to your gear but will not protect against large overcurrent.

if concerned about overloading circuit with lighting should consider investing in "LED" lighting which uses considerably a lot less wattage and the bulbs last a very very long time no more changing those ridiculously hot halogen/quartz bulbs that you can't replace touching them

hope this helps
Danny

Inviato Sat 25 Aug 07 @ 5:36 pm
Well I just picked up one ground loop isolator today and after testing my first guess was right. Not much differance when I put it between the mixer & the amp, so then I put it between my sigmatel card (I use it as a third channel) and my mixer since it was the noisiest channel. Man, what a differance, almost crystal clear! When I get paid I'm gonna order a couple more to put between my mk2 and mixer, found a couple on ebay from hong kong for only a couple bucks a piece plus shipping. I'm only mad I hadn't bought some sooner;^]

Inviato Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 1:48 am
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can you post the ebay link please?

Inviato Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 2:40 am

Inviato Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 3:13 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)