Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Timecoded Vinyl & Latency

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

hyte1Home userMember since 2004
I recieved my timecoded vinyl on Friday and have to say im very impressed with it. However I have noticed that there is a slight delay between when you move the vinyl physicaly and the change in sound. I must admit that I havnt really "tweaked" it but I was wondering if it was possible to eliminate it altogether.

I did notice that I got a quicker response when by turning up the volume and gains in the config, and turning the silence down to 0 but this lost the timecode quality (0%) and therefore disabling the needle drope feature.

It maybe down to my setup (P3 1Ghz, 256MB Ram with Creative MP3+ USB soundcard) but was wondering if anyone else has the latency or if I can actually get rid of it.

Mind it does seem worse when looking at the laptop due to the song display waveform (Which is somthing that has been mentioned in a previous post) and therefore would be better if I could turn that off (Or get a skin without it!)

On the whole tho like I said im very impressed and its definatle usable. The latency would not affect a non scratch DJ like myself anyway!

One thing I did notice it that if you tick the stereo invert box the song plays in reverse. Could this option not be used as an Effect for people who dont have turntables that play in reverse like myself (Technics Mk2)

Thanks

Hyte1

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 9:27 am
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No latency problems here. Music changes on the fly. If you have trouble with the visuals too, it seems that your system might give a higher priority to the GUI handling than to the sound subsystem.

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 11:16 am
Gota ya, Ill change the performance options in systems properties to optimize performance for background service (IE soundcard drivers?) See if that makes any diffrence. Will also need to update soundcard driver!!

Cheers for the input.

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 11:31 am
The latency has been corrected in the latest version, v2.05, but it's not available in the demo version yet.

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 11:35 am
Cool, looks like its going to be fixed!!! I think Ill just take the plunge and buy the software! Ill test it some more tonight and if Im happy Ill get it tomorrow. I must say that once again im very impressed with the support the developers give to vdj users. Thats a few times ive posted questions on the forum and aswell as getting a response from other users theres always been once from the developers. thanks.

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 11:49 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if you want 0 latency you must to buy one soundcrad that support ASIO DRIVERS - MAYA 44 Usb is very good .

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 6:53 pm
im on the verge of buying the Maya 44, anyone know where (in the UK) i can get one from.. not bothered if its an online shop.. as long as they deliver UK cheap :)

it's going to be my final step of getting the full wack!

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 6:57 pm
Does anyone have a list of soundcards which support asio drivers? Do normal PC soundcards such as SB Live! support it?

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 7:42 pm
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
From http://www.coyotes.bc.ca/SoundCards.html (I would still double-check the cards, though, since only Audigy 2ZS in the Audigy family supports ASIO):

"ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output) is a technology invented by Steinberg (www.steinberg.net) to address a shortcoming of the Windows audio subsystem. Windows' audio drivers (particularly those of Windows 2000 and Windows XP) suffer from long latency. That is, a considerable amount of time (typically 25-50 ms) can elapse between the time when an application provides some audio to the sound card and when the sound card actually plays that audio.

For an acceptable "feel" when playing an instrument, the latency must be in the range of 10 ms or lower.

An ASIO driver is able to achieve very low latency (in some cases below 2 ms) by bypassing the "kernel mixer" component of the Windows audio subsystem."

The following is a small sampling of the many sound cards that support ASIO (listed alphabetically by manufacturer):

* Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy and Audigy2
* Echo Darla20/24, Layla20/24, Gina20/24, Mona, Mia
* MOTU 828, 896, 2048
* M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, Delta 10/01, Delta 44, Delta 66, Dio2448, Delta Dio2496, USB Duo, USB Quattro
* Roland U8
* SEK'D Siena
* Sonorus Stud I/O
* Tascam US-428
* Terratec DMX 6fire LT and 24/96, EWX 24/06, EWS 88 MT, EWS 88 D
* Yamaha DSP Factor DS 2416

Inviato Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 8:02 pm
AND WHERE'S maya 44 usb ???
2 in +2 out

Inviato Tue 19 Oct 04 @ 12:22 pm
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
True, true, Echo Indigo for laptop users should be in that list as well (borrowed from http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=7194).

@hyte1 and other TC Vinyl Users:

Is ASIO the ONLY way to go, or do you get decent results with other cards as well? Did VDJ 2.05 improve the latency problem just for ASIO cards?

Thx

Inviato Tue 19 Oct 04 @ 8:42 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I need to know that too !

Inviato Tue 19 Oct 04 @ 9:06 pm
ASIO is the only way to go if you want 0 latency ...high latency It's not a VDJ problem ..it's a soundcard problem or limitation -
VDJ works perfect with ASIO drivers ...

Inviato Tue 19 Oct 04 @ 10:15 pm
First : I was working with audigy soundcard and onboard soundcard (for line in) and audigy for OUTS without Asio drivers
The result it's not bad but is not tottaly proffesional -

If you are a serious dj go for a soundcard that support ASIO drivers ...Maya 44 usb (130 euro) is a good soundcard and I think it's cheap -

Inviato Tue 19 Oct 04 @ 10:20 pm
OK, after a but of messing about with the volume levels and changing my stylus I now get much better results using the tcv (Even without V 2.05) I wouldnt say its going to be worth me buying an ASIO supported sound card as its good enough with my current card (Creative mp3+ USB)

So thanks for the advice guys!!

Just one question, does anyone know when 2.05 will be released as demo?

Thanks

Chris.

Inviato Wed 20 Oct 04 @ 8:59 am
forget the demo and go for the full version and please : If you like VDJ BUY IT -

Inviato Wed 20 Oct 04 @ 10:01 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)