Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Dual vs Quad Core...

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Evening all,

Was speccing up a new rig to run VDJ, and am trying to decide on a CPU. The Quad Core 2.4GHz and Dual Core 3.0GHz CPUs are the same. Obviously the Quad Core has more potential, but I guess only if the application is capable of putting those cores to good use - spreading out utilisation from master tempo, scratch, track analysis, decoding etc... across multiple threads.

If the code is optimised for two cores, then I'd be better off opting for the faster dual core, but if it's designed to spread the load well then the quad could be a good bet.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Ta,

Scott

Inviato Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 4:02 am
I would say if you are ready to spring for the quad core, go ahead and get it. You will be ahead of the game when the applications catch with the processor. It wouldn't hurt you any to have more power under the hood than you can actually use at the moment. .6 Ghz isn't going to make that much of a difference that you will be able to notice.

Inviato Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 4:57 am
Well it either has multicore support or it doesnt. If it doesnt then your dual or quad is going to waste because only a single core will be supported and you will be comparing 2.4ghz vs 3ghz and then the 0.6ghz difference will be noticable if the application(s) is demanding it.
But, I am assuming that because the recommended system requirements states a Dual Core CPU, then does have Multicore support and therefore the Quad core will be worth getting, Maybe not specifically for virtual DJ though as it probably wont be that CPU hungry, but for other applications that may be that cpu hungry or for future proofing your setup.

Inviato Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 8:06 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Not all the Quad Core processors have multi-core support. With dual-core processors, applications can be shared between cores, but with some Quad Core ones, they can't be shared!
Anyway, you can always decide how to assign cores. For example, you can launch VirtualDj on the first two cores and then Winamp + Milkdrop on the last ones. This way they will work flawlessy ;)

Inviato Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 11:58 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)