Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Database drive question [Resolved] - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Another problem is that any virtual folders that i make are simply vanishing whenever i shut the software down.

Inviato Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 10:28 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Question - How big is your external hard drive and how much space is free on that drive?

And, sorry about my instructions they were for a VirtualDJ user - however I modified them below for a CUE user.

*Again, make sure everything is set as for a gig*

Go to your external drive(s) root (e.g. F: ) and rename the Cue Local Database v5.xml -to- Cue Local Database v5.orig
Go to the My Documents->Cue 5.0 folder and rename the Cue Database v5.xml -to- VirtualDJ Database v5.orig
Now, look at the other .xml file you should have a copy of your v4 file - Cue Database (username).xml
--If you don't see it go to the C:\Program Files\Cue folder and copy the file from there to the My Documents->CUE 5.0 folder
Launch CUE an what should happen is that V5 will use your v4 DB XML to rebuild the V5 database files. This in turn should have all your info from v4.

The reason you are missing things after shutdown is because CUE is not able to build the necessary database file to store your information in. We need to get it to build the databases.

Also, you are running Vista, correct? Do you have administrator rights using the account you use?

Inviato Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 11:52 pm
funny you should ask, i was going to ask u something along the same lines. My hard drive is a 500 GB western digital with 47 GB free.
Am i running low on space in terms of CUE/VDJ Specs ?

As far as the OS , yes i am using Vista with Admin rights.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 12:01 am
No you have more than plenty - I have a 500Gb drive with about the same free space and my Database is only 36Mb in size. So it's not a space issue.

I just saw this from another user and it goes to what I asked about the Administrator level of the account -
"If you are running VISTA disable the UAC (user acount control) in the control panel,"

I am not a Vista user, so don't know where to tell you to go in the control panel.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 12:03 am
UAC is disabled.
I actually went into a small fit of personal rage and un-installed, deleted and re-installed everything meaning cue direct from the CD, the 4.3 upgrade, scanned HD for all media files and bla, bla, bla and then i installed 5.0 with the only difference being that my external was up and running and ready to go only to go back to initial issue. No "F" Drive in the browser tab and no XML installed onto my external

In Documents i see a "VirtualDJ Database" and "VirtualDJ Database v5"
And on my "C" Drive i see "VirtualDJ Database" along with some other language and midi device XML files

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 12:49 am
Wait. VirtualDJ ? Why not CUE? I need to research something. I will get back shortly. Wait one.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 1:04 am
OK, I got one more thing I got to track down and will get back with you. But I am at about a 90-95% answer for you, just need to confirm one thing.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 1:58 am
Please tell me you have an answer. I will praise you forever

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 3:31 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Yes phenominal, even in CUE it shows as VDJ data base, I learned that the hard way as well...lol.....Cstoll is doing a great job of getting you straightend out.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 3:39 am
OK, so no matter how good you are there is always room for learning something NEW. I am not a CUE users so for me to picture what you have I needed some things. Got those from TearEmUp. So with that here we go...
Please stop at any point and post back if what I say isn't so... that way we can figure out what is still not right. Remember, I don't have CUE so this is based on what I have gotten information about and what I understand of how Vista treated the v4 application.

So in XP, in the C:\\Program Files\\Numark CUE folder you would have a file that is titled - VirtualDJ Database (username).xml but you are using Vista, so the problem may be in that it didn't find the hidden one.

Do a search for VirtualDJ Database*.xml but make sure you are searching HIDDEN files as well. Now when your system finds it. Right click on the file and choose to Open the containing folder. We want to copy this file to your desktop because we will need it.

Now, you have installed V5 of CUE. It created a folder in the My Documents location and that folder is called - Numark CUE - correct? Copy the database file from your desktop to this folder. (If it is a folder called VirtualDJ - please let me know)

Make a copy of that file in the Numark CUE folder and rename it to VirtualDJ Database v5.xml

Now copy that same file to the root folder of your external drive (F: ?Think that's what you said it was?) - and rename it to VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml

OK, at this point launch CUE.

What happens? And, again let me know if anything I said above is incorrect on what you see.
cstoll

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 4:10 am
i had to step away and am checking on the post from a friends house but i will try this as soon as i get home.
In the meantime i want to thank everyone for the help and dedication to these issues.
Cstoll - ur help has been great.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 4:15 am
No Problem - my dedication is to try and help where I can... and make a difference so we can all enjoy this program.

Also, did you by change try the v5 demo before the CUE release?

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 4:30 am
No, never tried the demo.
the laptop i am having issues with is actually new. I ordered just before V5 was released, went to the DJ Expo and got it when i came back. I loaded CUE 4.3 on it and did 1 gig with it. V5 was then released and installed and here we are.

PS - Im going to give a shot for a few minutes tonight but if i dont find anything i'll try again tomorrow after work.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 6:34 am
Alright, i could not find the xml file wtih the user name. i tried every possible way to search but no dice.
I did find the Virtualdj database file and tried copying that and changing it to local data base which gave me back the external drive in the config>browser tab. The next step is getting the virtual folders to stay put

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Maybe i can stop by my friend Mr. Oteros office and he can help.
Good night all. Try again later.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 6:56 am
I have the same issue: on my external drive, no XML v5 database is created. Question: is it possible to MANUALLY create the xml? why copy/paste + manual edits won't work?

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 11:54 am
DJRogerBorges wrote :
I have the same issue: on my external drive, no XML v5 database is created. Question: is it possible to MANUALLY create the xml? why copy/paste + manual edits won't work?

The copy paste is to retain any previous version information. If you don't care about the old information from v4 then you can manually create a file -
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>

<VirtualDJ_Database Version="502">
</VirtualDJ_Database>

@phenominal - looking for any updates to my instructions - were they Numark folders or VirtualDJ folders in your My Documents? Also, glad to see we are making some progress.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 1:22 pm
Sorry for the delay, just got in from work. in my documents i have a Numark cue folder.
In it i found a "VirtualDJ Database" xml document and a "VirtualDJ Database v5" xml document.

By the way i wouldn't mind loosing all i had in version 4 provided i could run 5 w/o kinks

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 9:39 pm
PS - The only problem i can see for now is retaining the virtual folders. If i create a virtual folder but leave it empty it will stay there. The minute i add music to it and shut the program down and restart the folder dissapears

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 10:06 pm

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 10:18 pm
I checked yesterday and as far as i could see UAC was disabled, however if you or someone else could give me step by step instructions it would be great. Inly to confirm that i am doing it right.
I'll keep trying in the meantime.

Inviato Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 10:23 pm
91%