Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: *Annoyed with database* - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm getting a bit annoyed with the new database in V5r2.

I leave my laptop running all night to scan and analyse the BPM's of my music files. The BPM of the files show up in the browser, so its obviously doing the job ok, but when I exit VDJ and restart it, its only saved about half the BPM's, the songs don't even appear as scanned.

I seem to be spending half my life analysing files and its really making using the software unenjoyable for me.

I've always got good help here, so i'm counting on you guys again.

By the way, if it matters i'm using Vista.

Gary

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 2:53 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Gary

Not sure what is happening, but yes occasionally I get a few that seem like they aren't analyzed. And what is even more interesting is it is like they didn't make it into the Search Database. I am not sure exactly what is going on, but I have posted some things back to the Dev Team on this.

Question are they in random locations like some files were skipped? Or are they in definite groupings like a whole structure didn't get analyzed?

cstoll

btw, I use XP so the issues may be different; but, I am sure they aren't

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 3:11 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've had the exact same issue under XP. It seems pretty random - in a scanned compilation album of 40 tracks, there may be 6 or so with no bpm data. If you're very unlucky, they have no artist or title field either. If you click on the "file info" bit, you will see that the artist and title are in fact there, but they have to be manually selected before they appear in the database...

After trying to migrate my existing database into v5, I encountered all kinds of missing artist/title/bpm problems. I gave up and decided to rescan everything from scratch. Spent a week rescanning everything. Two gigs later - the database has become corrupted again, 20% of the database is missing, and once again i've got missing artist/title/bpm information in random places. Back to 4.3 for me... (which for me is an upgrade, up til now i've been stubbornly sticking to 3.4!)

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 11:00 am
They are scanning ok, but VDJ is no remembering all the info.

The files are all in a partitioned part of the internal hard drive sorted into windows folders by genre. There is nothing else in there apart from music.

Its also showing video files in my browser when my video hard drive isn't even plugged in (external drive)

Gary

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 1:18 pm
Gary - do you have iTunes on that machine?

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 2:21 pm
cstoll wrote :
Gary - do you have iTunes on that machine?

Yes and No!

I have iTunes but it won't install properly. Keeps saying that it can't find the 'My Music' file when i try and install it.

Gary

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 2:36 pm
Gary, I think you have iTunes data that is mucking up your database. Lets start with getting it out of your system.

iTunes - VirtualDJ loads the iTunes library. It does not matter if you have the iTunes checked or unchecked in the Config->Browser tab.

If your iTunes library has bad information - location references to files that no longer exist - then you end up with that in your VDJ database.

Resolution -
Either clean up the iTunes Library so it is CORRECT or Delete it all together - here are the files based on their default locations - information from the iTunes Support site.

These are the files you need to Delete
My Documents->My Music\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
My Documents->My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

Launch VirtualDJ

Now verify your databases. Run the Check and Clean

Then check any and all Virtual Folders or Playlists for bad file references.
Also check your entire database - best way is to show the Drive column in the browser to see if there are any references to drives that are not part of your setup. If you do find files pointed to drive letters that don't exist, then select those files and delete them.

Go to the Config->Browser tab and check the Show iTunes option. When you go back to the browser, the iTunes navigation entry should be empty.

cstoll

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 2:56 pm
Ok, i removed iTunes as i wasn't using it anyway.

I used a tag processor and cleared all my tags (i don't use tags either)

I checked and fixed the database.

I rescanned one of my folders with about 200 songs in, when it finished i closed VDJ and reopened it again and half of the files in that folder are showing the yellow question mark (unscanned) and no BPM's.

Gary

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 4:53 pm
If you right click on one of those files and choose the File Info --
What is at the bottom of the window?
Does it say anything about "Impossible to open..." ?
And is the path statement correct?

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 5:14 pm
Yes, the path is correct. It says it will open with MP3 decoder. It will play fine. Once its played it will have the BPM as well, untill i close down and restart VDJ, then the info is gone and it shows it as never been played, scanned etc.

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 5:17 pm
You definitely have access issues to writing information to the database file. This is very odd.

You upgraded to 5 from 4.x correct ?

If so, go to the My Documents->VirtualDJ folder and rename the VirtualDJ Database file with the (username) in the file name. Just rename it to .OLD?

Now what happens?

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 7:04 pm
No, i didn't upgrade, i installed V5r2 as a fresh install.

I will try what you suggested though and let you know what happens.

Gary

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 8:18 pm
Let me re-phrase my question. Was Version 4 already on this system before you installed version 5 ?

If not, then there won't be a version 4 database file.

So, now this is very troubling as to why only certain data is being allowed to be written to the DB.
How big is the XML file on your external drive? You should find the file in the root location. So if the external is drive ? F: ? then go to F: and look in the root for the VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml file. What is it's size? If you right click and choose properties is the Read Only box checked ?

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 8:45 pm
I've clicked on properties and it seems ok. I've given user accounts permission to modify the file as it was set to administrator only.

I've off to work now, i'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for helping,

Gary

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 8:48 pm
mixitPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm also getting annoyed with the new database in V5r2.

I have been analysing files for two weeks now. Here what's going on with the database. I scan my files and then sometimes the hard drive gets corrupt so I use the fix in VDJ and when I recuse a folder there are more songs in yellow I thought the folder was all done because before i clicked fix the files in the folders showed no yellow I'm have xp on my lapto with 1g of ram and a my book pro 500g hard drive.
I need help spending every day analysing files is starting to suck for me.

Inviato Thu 13 Sep 07 @ 11:05 pm
Yes mixit, i know what you mean. Have you tried the things mentioned above?

I'm sure we'll get it sorted in the end.

Gary

Inviato Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 4:22 am
Ok, i'm not going to get excited to quickly, but i've closed VDJ ard restarted it 4 times now and all the BPM's etc are saving ok. I haven't tried renaming the database .old yet and creating a new one, i've simply changed the file permissions of the local database to allow users full access.

Maybe this was the problem, i'm still not sure, but so far so good.

If this turns out to fully solve the problem, then what has gone wrong?

Gary.

Inviato Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 4:27 am
I would say it was a permissions thing and something to learn from for the Vista Users.

Hope things stay tight.

cstoll

Inviato Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 4:58 am
Cheers cstoll, fingers crossed all will be ok. I appreciate the time you spend helping :)

Gary

Inviato Fri 14 Sep 07 @ 5:29 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
[quote=cstoll]Let me re-phrase my question. Was Version 4 already on this system before you installed version 5 ?

If you right click and choose properties is the Read Only box checked ?

Is that box supposed to be checked??

Inviato Sat 15 Sep 07 @ 2:40 pm
91%