Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: One More Free Gig To Go...

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Found out at the clubhouse I go to is gonna be having a halloween dance Nov. 1st, so naturaly I volunteered my services. I'm going to start taking song requests next week because they have no wireless access and this crowd, being mostly folks with mental illness will be a bit harder to read than your average audiance. I'm just about finishing putting together my light set up first of october so I'll have plenty of time to test the new lights before the gig. Of course, I consider this more a donation thing so I won't be getting payed however they are sponsoring me to attend a three day conferance on mental illness and recovery, so it kinda balances out. Heh, should be pretty fun and in a way it may be easier than most gigs since I know most everybody there. But this will be my first gig using the lights and my first non BBQ gig using VDJ. If you can believe it, they were going to simply make compilation cds and play em in a 5 cd changer without lights, so this years dance should be a much better one. Hehe, and the best part aside from getting more exposure, is I get over a month to prepare. Just the way I like it;^]

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 10:52 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Hi Timmy

It's very nice to see you are doin something good, for the less fortunate people amonst ourselves.

Hope it all goes well, have a good time and keep up the good work.

Jimmy b

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 12:22 am
Thanks, it's my pleasure to do it. I'm actualy one of them, although my conditions (asbergers & schizo effective disorder) are very mild while most of them are pretty severe. Nevertheless I enjoy every minute spent with these guys, it's a very friendly enviroment with much social interaction and encouragment of eachother. Ever heard the statement "kids say the darndest things"? Some of the things these guys say keeps me rolling for days..lol;^]

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 12:43 am
I am sure you know this already but just encase you didn't. Do not use any strobe lights... they can induce seizures in handy cap people or people that have grand-mal seizures

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 1:16 am
Thanks for that info, some of the guys were looking forward to the strobes but I'll run it by staff in community meeting on thurs. to be safe. Thanks again!!;^]

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 1:20 am
I see your in the US. I believe if you've been documenting your donated services, I think you can clame your volunteer service hours on your taxes. May be get a little something back. If someone knows better, please correct me if I am wrong. I am interested in this as well...

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 2:47 am

I had a friend with a mental illness, but he passed away a couple of years ago. We went to school together,

Such a funny guy and he didn't let his illness affect him, what so ever. He was even in the school Rugby team with me.

I had the most repect for him and was pleased to have spent time with him.

Jimmy b

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 2:47 am
SpeedDemond29 wrote :
I see your in the US. I believe if you've been documenting your donated services, I think you can clame your volunteer service hours on your taxes. May be get a little something back. If someone knows better, please correct me if I am wrong. I am interested in this as well...

It can be done, but I'm not interested in it. The sponsorship for the conferance and the enjoyment of my fellow members is reward enough for me. Even if I did, I'd only donate it either back to the clubhouse or the harrisonburg or staunton valley mission.

@ Jimmy, sorry to hear of your friends passing. It's a shame that so many people tend to either count out the mentaly ill from being succesful or simply turn away as if our conditions were contagious or act like we're all serial killers (that ones mostly the medias fault though). The members with severe autism or down syndrome in particular can be some of the greatest people you'd ever meet, and most of them would do anything for you if only asked. I wish the world could know these guys like we do, I think it'd turn even the hardest of hearts soft again;^]

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 3:01 am

So True, so true.

Keep up the Good work matey.

Jimmy b

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 3:06 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)