Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to Automix "1 Deck"

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Ok, So everyone knows I like "2 deck automix" (just like it works in 4.3) better and I will be excited when the option for a 1 deck or 2 deck automix is offered in future versions. In the meantime I am trying to learn how to use 1 deck automix in 5.5 Hopefully someone can walk me through this. My apologies if these questions have been covered but I couldn't find it in the forums

During introductions at a wedding I usually have music lined up in a saved playlist for grand introductions..Example: Parents entrance song, bridal party song, bride & groom etc.... So in 4.3 I load this playlist and just click "automix" to go from one song to the next enabling me to hold a Mic and announcement sheet at the same time...when the next group was ready to come in I could just click automix and it would crossfade to the next song....and then the next would autoload. HOW DO I MIMIC THIS IN 5.5? Keep in mind...i dont want to crossfade here to deck A...I just want to crossfade to the next song on the playlist.

Next question. If I click "remove played" how come the automix playlist doesn't automatically keep removing songs as they are played? It seems I have to keep choosing that option to remove played songs...

Thanks in advance.

Vin

Inviato Sun 11 Nov 07 @ 2:19 pm
The way to segway between songs on auto mix is use the mouse and double click the next song in your playlist and it will auto mix out of the original into the song you just double clicked on.

The Removed Played only removes the tracks that where already played at the time when you use this function. It doesn't keep on removing each song after it is played.

Inviato Sun 11 Nov 07 @ 2:33 pm
Jeremy G,

Thanks for the info.... Well I know its a broken record...but 2 more reasons why 2 deck automix is better.... On version 4.3 which earns me an income; each song is removed from the playlist automatically after it is play (if that option is checked) and all you have to do is click "automix" to seqway to the next song. enabling me to leave the mouse pointer over automix and change songs with 1 click while making announcements etc...

If anyone else knows how to do this on 5.5 I appreciate the info....but it looks like 4.3 still wins out for now...

Waiting to uprgade....

Vin....

Inviato Sun 11 Nov 07 @ 9:55 pm
I see. I'm with Vinny on this as well. Sort of have the same qualms as you do, Vin.
Do ya think you could send me a quick short list of some of your most popularly used
grand entrance introduction songs:
parents
bridesmaids/ushers
maitron of honopr/best man
husband/wife

In these parts (Central Maine, USA) we rarely use any background for this, but I'd like to start
playing some stuff in the background. They usualyy don't request it, but I think they'd all like it,
or I can make suggestions for them if I had a typical list?

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 1:51 am
I understand 1 deck automix is something one must get used to as it now plays the role of a typical player like Winamp. However, double-clicking is so ambiguous. Therefore, VDJ should then resemble a typical player by adding a ("<" previous, and ">" next) type of "Start Automix" feature. Though, I see other questions will rise up to this idea.

Now, the 2 deck automix on playlist is gone. But, I still do not see why the convenient one-time/one-click mid-top automix button is also gone. Also, being able to group the "already played" together would be nice in case we need to remove them all at once.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 8:29 am
I dont think I understand your last post as when in automix you will know which song is next as it is under the highlighted song which is the one that is playing, you only need to double click if you want to cut the song short for whatever reason and have a smooth transition.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 8:53 am
Double-clicking is not too obvious. That's part of the confusion. With previous and next of the highlighted, that makes it a little traditional. If "currently playing" is not on the playlist, next should be the top song as long as shuffle is off.

With the single one-click automix of the 2 loaded decks, I think that's a good compromise that everybody can live with ...I guess ;)

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 9:16 am
In short:

Previous or next button automixes the previous or next song of the highlighted one (currently playing song).

Top-middle automix button automixes the 2 loaded decks - (old behavior).

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 9:37 am
Oh - while double-clicking stays the same, of course. Or, "select song + enter" also automixes with automixing enabled --as double-clicking can fail sometimes. This would look like a Winamp-style behavior within VDJ...

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 10:26 am
wheelMan wrote :
Double-clicking is not too obvious. That's part of the confusion. With previous and next of the highlighted, that makes it a little traditional. If "currently playing" is not on the playlist, next should be the top song as long as shuffle is off.

With the single one-click automix of the 2 loaded decks, I think that's a good compromise that everybody can live with ...I guess ;)

I will double check this tomorrow, but when you click on shuffle it doesnt randomly play the songs in a different order rather it changes the order of the songs in the list so the highlighted (playing) song will move in the list and the next song that is to be played is the song directly underneath that highlighted song.
I will double check this tomorrow but I think I remember that this is the way it works.

I use automix all the time and have no issues with it bein 2 deck.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 11:00 am
what is top middel behaviour like the old 2 deck mix, is it back. Hooray

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 11:30 am
Quote: "when you click on shuffle it doesnt randomly play the songs in a different order rather it changes the order of the songs in the list so the highlighted (playing) song"

That's correct! And it's fine the way it is. I just hope that someone sees my point on Next/Previous. If mid-top automix is back just on the two loaded decks, this place would be one big happy family ...again ;) Echo "Hooray!"

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 6:45 pm
Ditto..

Ok..I guess we there is no "Next Song or Auto Crossfade" 1 click or 1 key option right now except to double click the song on the playlist. Then we have to click Remove Played songs everytime we want to clear the list of played tracks....

Oh well...I guess it does mimic winamp... Just for the record...there is no NEW Style / OLD Style for those who prefer 1 deck automix... There is just 2 deck automix and 1 deck automix... 2 completely different features/technologies in my opinion.

My offer still stands...if there is any beta testing of a 1 deck / 2 deck option in future versions I would love to beta test.

To the moderators sorry to bring up the subject again... I was just trying to mimic features of 4.3 in 5.5....

Vin.

Inviato Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 10:13 pm
Its all good

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 12:13 am
I installed version 5 and was hoping for improvements but have become totally frustrated with the update 1 deck automix function that I have reverted back to version 4.3

I DJ, VDJ and KJ and am constantly switching between karaoke songs and videos or music. For me, I have to have the automix button that is an option at the top middle for when a singer is finished with singing so that I can automix into a video. I do not keep automix enabled all the time unless I have to run to the bathroom or step away from my dj station because every song/video is different and I need to be able to easily control it manually.

I did try the 1 deck feature but the issue is that while someone is singing karaoke, I can NOT have automix turned on or it will likely cut the singer off while there are still words on the screen. So, to use the new 1 deck feature i have to wait till the singer is done, then click on automix on bottom right in playlist, then clcik on the next song/music video i want to play. In version 4.3, all i had to do was load the next song in playlist 2 and whenever i am ready to mix it, hit the automix button.

So, the bottom line is that for me to use the new version, it is causing more steps for me in my show that just are not practical for a smooth transition between singers and music.

Oh, one more point, when i did try to use the automix playlist function, sometimes the music would get distorted or jumpy. Crazy. So, I will stick with 4.3 until someone can give me an easier work around, thanks!

Inviato Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 6:20 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I rather like the single deck automix mode; For me it means that I can still use the other deck to cue and preview songs that I want to manually mix, whereas it's more challenging to do that with a two deck automix, because you have to make sure that it's got the right song in it well before it needs to mix out. Also, if you're using a real mixer, it means that you don't have t check your line, eq, and crossfaders before you leave your mixer, which I'd occasionally forget to do.

Another thing that would often trip me up with the two deck mode is that I'd start mixing in a track, and then all of a sudden automix would kick in (because I forgot to turn it off) and restart the song and make me sound like an idiot because the song would restart. That can't really happen with the single deck mode.

For what I do its advantages far outweigh the disadvantages - I don't really get all the complaints about the single deck mode, but there are a few disadvantages I can see:
-You can't as easily see what the next song is in some scenarios (although usually it's obviously the next song in the playlist), and you can't see where the mixpoints are in the next song. Nor can you see a waveform preview of the next song.
-You can't adjust the gain in advance.
-You can't independently control each song with your mixer (if you were to want to do this while in automix for some strange reason)

But... most of those are kind of trivial I think. it would be nice to have the option to have it similar to the old way for those who prefer it, but I for one am glad that Atomix took the initiative to try a new system, because for me it works much better.

Studioone, I don't entirely understand your usage scenario (I used to host Karaoke and DJ video simultanesouly also) but it sounds like your problems are more to do with not selecting the appropriate type of crossfade. I usually found that with karaoke, you don't want any crossfade at all, which you can select by clicking on the big + in the playlist and select "Automix Type" None or "Remove Nothing". Usually karaoke songs have a pretty long into and outro, and I found that this allowed enough time to make your announcements for the singers and get them the mikes... but nonetheless, this is a problem that would also have existed in the old automix mode as well if you didn't tweak it.

Thankfully, VirtualDJ now has the ability to choose many more options for the automix types and easily change the transition lengths on the fly. Before I found automixing terrible because it usually cut off too much of songs or tried mixing in silly ways, and it seems quite a bit better to me now.

About the automatic removal of played songs, it would be nice to have the option to set whether these will be removed or not. I've heard this complaint from others, although I'm rather indifferent myself. One thing that I've wanted to see in virtualDJ was the behaviour that I was used to in BPM Studio where when you load the song in the deck, it doesn't disappear, but it gets highlighted, and doesn't get removed from the playlist until you remove it or clear the played songs. This would be a very nice option to have in VirtualDJ, and fits in nicely with the complaints about how automix deals with the playlist. (Although I half suspect that this behaviour was more of a side effect of how the new automix mode works that intentionally deisgned that way).

Inviato Sun 30 Dec 07 @ 7:53 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)