Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: DJ Genres

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi all,

Been surfing through some sticky posts here and there and see alot of good material which I take for granted after spinning for a long time. Also some misleading material, or rather biased to a specific genre. So I thought I'd put in my two cents about different genres of DJs and listeners.

BIG DISCLAIMER
Alot of these points may seem harsh, they are not intended to be. They are simply my own viewpoint of music as a self-procalimed music snob. I mention these things because its a part of mature discussion and growing to consider other viewpoints however radical or harsh you may percieve them to be. I dont villify anyone for any reason and I appreciate all forms of music, including poppy cheesy stuff when I'm in the right mood. I do however, have distinct preferences and decided to share some of that. Please refrain from posting anger and inflammatory comments. If you can't discuss this like an adult, I have no interest in hearing your opinion. Having said that, I know people will disagree and I know for a fact alot of very constructive arguments are created from some very adverse opinions.

Pop & Top 40

- railroad mixing (the 2 minute mix) works
- you follow the charts
- you play to the crowd
- you dont tell any story, you just provide a mood
- technical style is not a requisite if you know your music and crowd well
- your set needs to jump from style to style, just like a radio station or people loose interest
- momentum comes and goes and you make good friends with the venue by breaking it up so people buy more alcohol
- you can go anywhere and are not tied to a specific community or genre

Underground

- I much prefer the word 'specific' since the word underground is so highly abused
- railroad mixing doesnt work (except with a limited number of genres)
- you dont necessarily follow charts at all
- you play to a concept, the crowd is attracted to that
- you are a story teller
- technical style is imperitive
- you cant jump around from style to style otherwise people loose interest
- momentum is built steadily and not only through you, but the roster of djs for a night, so certain ettiquette applies
- garunteed you belong to a specific community but you dont necessarily care about this because its all about the music

General points

-The majority of music listeners are sheep and like what they are trained to like. If you dont agree, check out how they manage radio stations and you will be likely to agree with this. For pop DJs this is a good thing and a tool. For underground DJs, its a nemesis and suggests that you chose that occupation for the music instead of the fame.

-A great majority of club goers just 'want to dance'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. BUT, there is a sub-world of music lovers who appreciate music to a much deeper level. That is the underground and for a large part, what the House music scene evolved from. This thought process is a very large factor how you adopt your style as a DJ.

-The greatest achievements in music have always come from people who didnt give a damn what people felt about their music, it was done for the love and idea. That is how music becomes and artform and true mode of human expression.

Inviato Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 2:48 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
So I guess that means all the house, techno, "underground" dj's that all play the same stuff on VDJ radio are really pop dj's?????

Inviato Thu 15 Nov 07 @ 12:22 am
Sorry, not sure how you gathered that conclusion?

Inviato Thu 15 Nov 07 @ 5:59 am
Was tounge in cheek mate. But it's all pop music. People like it, it's popular, it's pop

Inviato Fri 23 Nov 07 @ 1:24 pm
not sure how you figure all music is popular, or even pop. there are more genres that belong to the avant garde class than does to pop. point is if you hear it repeated on daily radio, its pop. but thats a small fraction of the music released on a daily basis in the world

Inviato Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 4:51 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I don't think PFD50 was speaking about a genre of music Paz. I think he was making a play on words, but I could be wrong.

Inviato Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 4:59 pm
LOL, ok. I dont get it, but cool...

Inviato Sun 25 Nov 07 @ 4:53 am
POPULAR:
Regarded with great favor, approval, or affection especially by the general public; "a popular record"

Samian's Heater is on every compilation this Xmas. Now this started off as a minimal/techno tune which it still is but it's now very poular so it's become pop.

Pop is not a genre, just a statement of fact.

Inviato Tue 04 Dec 07 @ 7:36 am
excellent point and i agree. but i was talking about genres of djs (not music genres), which i guess is as much tongue in cheek as your statement. anyhow, i make it a rule that as soon as i hear a track on the radio, i stop playing it.

Inviato Wed 05 Dec 07 @ 3:18 am
Paz75

I guess you could say you are are feeding the crossover records to the POP DJ's who probably only here a track once it's played on radio.

Me I never buy anything I've ever heard played before, so to me at least, the sets I play always sound fresh.

Now this weekend past I have bought a mix of Leeona Lewis's Bleeding Love which I don't know if it's pop or underground??

Inviato Wed 05 Dec 07 @ 7:34 am
There are all kinds of DJs out there. I play both Commercial and Underground. I enjoy Underground because it is usally fresh and new. But Commercial is good too as they are crowd favorites. So Paz if you are a club or mobile DJ it will be hard to make money if ya don't play Commercial stuff. Folks just love hearing the same song over and over and over again. hehe ;)

MS

Inviato Wed 05 Dec 07 @ 9:05 pm
maddsound, you pretty much sum up all what im saying in my original post. keep in mind, not all of us do it for money. i certainly dont. i belong to a dying clique who listens to jacking house. i couldnt give a crap if others like it or not. when there is a party which is taking that format, im all over it. for the rest, theres lots of djs who will play commercial for the crowd. thats the difference. nothing wrong with that, just the truth.

Inviato Fri 07 Dec 07 @ 11:06 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)