Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 512MB is here - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

The 512MB I ordered for my laptop is here. Many have told me that this will help significantly using VirtualDJ and maybe cure all of my problems. It cost me nearly as much as the program itself!

I will post my findings

WirelessDJ

Inviato Tue 09 Nov 04 @ 11:26 pm
20 minutes: Initial tests show increased stability. It hasn't crashed when I repeatedly use an effect like spinback.

I still note some freezes on the GUI once and a while, but so far no crashies

CPU is at 100% utilization and holding -- This is pretty high for it is not gain scanning and max load time is set to 10mn

Inviato Tue 09 Nov 04 @ 11:46 pm
42 Minutes: I had a track tracking playing on deck B
loaded a track on deck A
using the XP10 I set a cue point on deck A
beat lock engine off
when I Started deck A, VDJ skipped a few beats on deck B for a few seconds and came back to life
So far no crashies but CPU Utilization still at 100%

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:08 am
I am convinced that beat lock is for pussy DJ's. If you have to use this you are not a real DJ. I mean it is bad enough that using the beat match button to match the bpms; I am guilty of that. Nevertheless I am testing it.

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:17 am
59 Minutes: Tracking playing on deck B, about 3 minutes left
started track playing on deck A, let it play for 1 minute or so
aligned the beats and switched from a 4 bar to an 8 bar loop on deck B

Ouch! - A fatal error has occured! Recover or Shutdown

Sound is looping over and over

Press Recover, VDJ does not re-launch by itself. Double clicked on VDJ icon, it launched 3-4 items in the task bar but none of them actually came up. I am forced to reboot.

Recall, this is a dedicated perfectly clean machine and not on the internet so it was not able to send the error report to atomix

Going to try 15 min max load time now.

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:25 am
78 Minutes: max load time set to 15 min. Average track length is 8-9 minutes. CPU Utilization is no longer staying at 100% after track scan. However, I do notice that the GUI freezes much MORE often. Rapid use of backspin effects does not trigger crash. Changing from fom 4 to 8 bar loop does not trigger crash or cause it to stop audio. CPU Utilization hovering around 26-46% with two decks playing

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:44 am
Interesting: I have noticed that some tracks are showing up longer than they really are! for example, I have a track that says it is 18 minutes and I know that is wrong. The CPU Utilization is a whopping 100% and holding with one deck playing

Oddly, when I moved the XP10 slider up and back down to zero point, the time is correct at 9 minutes.

Exit VDJ, load exact same track back up and CPU Utilization is back 100%, time on track is 18:37 (wrong!)

Seems like any track that VDJ -thinks- is over the max load time, pegs the CPU Utilization at 100% and causes system instability. What is this program doing?

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:52 am
loaded yet another track and it says it is 30 minutes long!
This is incorrect! It is really about 8:25
The max load time is set to 15 mn
VirtualDJ thinks it doesn't have enough memory and sends the CPU Utilization to 100% and stays there till it realizes that the track is 8 minutes long

I believe root cause of my problems to be in how VDJ identifies how long a track is and how it uses the Max load settings. This has been demonstrated over and over with numerous promo only tracks I have tried.

If you need me to ftp a sample file, please reference:
Rendez-VU - Basement Jaxx
Promo Only Mainstream Club 1999
Length 6:54
Bitrate 48 / Frequency 44.1, Joint Stereo
Filesize 6709951

My work is done here! Total time invested: 1 Hour 41 Minutes. I leave it up to Atomix Productions to look into this further and correct the problem.

WirelessDJ@Comcast.Net

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 1:07 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
For tracks with wrong length, try to analyze before loading.

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 2:12 am
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Keeping in mind that many traditional djs consider any kind of pc dj silly posers, I am convinced that digital djs that pass judgement on other djs for using such tools at their disposals as: beatlock, electricity, etc, are actually small minded pompous pussy djs themselves.

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 3:28 am
does any one know if virtual dj comes for mac osx users, i am club dj working in middle east

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 4:38 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
WirelessDJ> bitrate=48 ?

what is the format of your file. Is it an mp3? if so, is it a VBR mp3 or CBR mp3?

why do I ask? cauz I saw that a while ago, and although it never happened to me (I encode my CDs and Vinyl in 192kbps CBR lame.dll mp3s) someone in the thread seems to refer to your problem:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=7280

Nicolas

Oh, about beatlock use, I have to give my 2 cents while trying not to be insulting to anyone. How about:

IF YOU CANNOT MIX TWO TRACKS WITHOUT BEATLOCK ON, YOU'RE A VIRTUAL DJ

fair enough? hence VDJ will stand, depending on who uses it, for eitheir "Virtual Disk"-Jockey, or for virtual-"Disk Jockey". Everybody will have fun and get the job done with it, but the first category will also get the job done without it :)
I'm not being elitist, just realistic

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 8:15 am
No insult was intended about using the beatlock, I was just kidding around ;-) But the fact remains, if you rely too heavily on the features, your skills are not used as much as a conventional DJ and I can see why some consider digital dj'ing nor a real DJ. Worse yet, I have seen some people that as soon as they see the PC -- they just say that "oh well you are using a computer, then you are not a real DJ" well that changes as soon as they see the the DAC-2, XP10, or Time coded vinyl

The tracks are in fact variable bit rate. If VDJ can not handle VBR, atomix has much bigger problems.

WirelessDJ

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:13 pm
@wireless

about the "freezing" of GUI :
- can u please check if you have any IRQ conflicts or sharing, and very important check if soundcard and graphic card share the same irq, or lan...

I had the problems with "glitches" in gui on heavy play, when I had an irq sharing that the software did not "like"... fixed the irq sharing, and all was fine :)

Still sad to hear about your chrashes, and hopefully the team can figure it out from your error reports earlier.
I did as you, tested the program INTESIVLY at home to try to make it crash, and sorted out all performance tips and problems, before I took the software to gig..

I found that ALL my problems where PC related, and not VDJ.. But you say u have a clean pc.

Please check those irq's, and ALSO, turn off anti-virus as it may cause huge problems, also turn off any other not needed background apps... to improve performance

We WILL find the reason for your problems, I'm sure.. just keep this thread going until we do ;) because its for sure PC related, as I cant make VDJ crash no matter how hard I try!

And one last thing.... is it laptop???
Heat is the #1 problem for laptops!!! heat can make components "fail", and therefore make VDJ crash...
Make sure that the laptop fan have FREE air...

dj in norway

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 1:26 pm
No IRQ conflicts in the device manager
this machine runs NOTHING, no antivirus, nothing in MSCONFIG except the echo indigo systray app
yes it is a laptop! and I use a CPU cooler pad
remember this problems happen on two other machines so I dont think it is one specific machine
I think it is related to the fact that all of the tracks are in variable bit rate

I appreciate the reply

Inviato Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 11:24 pm

Upon further testing I can say that overall, the 512MB made a major difference. The system is not infallible and still can crash -- but a lot better than it was before.

I hope that Automix productions is working on the next version that may correct the various bugs noted

Thank you

Inviato Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 1:27 am
Ram sure make a difference ;)
But still, I use laptop, have 512mb ram - and NO problems, what so ever...

That's my only reason for thinking there is a hardware issue.. But guess the team will find out from your error reports :)

Inviato Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 12:43 pm
I think it my VBR encoded mp3's
they'll fix it, they are good like that

Inviato Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 12:49 pm
VBR encoded files have been causing problems for some other users as well... and as you say, they will fix it, they always do ;)

Inviato Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 12:58 pm
Hey Wireless... thanx for your excellent testing and the clear report.

I recall some thread somewhere on the forum, where someone adviced to avoid the use of VBR encoded mp3s, or maybe i have read it somewhere in the manual of VDJ
(i didn't like VBR encoded mp3s from the beginning anyway ;) but i'm sure the fix-team of VDJ will have it fixed in the next version.

Inviato Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 4:24 pm
91%