Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: is adding a dedicated USB soundcard a risk ?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I have finally got a laptop to run VDJ with no crashes - thanks team.....but I'm using the on board sound (Realtek) on an HP Pavillion dv9640 vista, 2gz, 2gb, 256video. I have seen posting where HP engineers have admitted usb soundcard doesnt work properly on HP Pavilion. I also see lots of postings on similar problems on usb soundcards. My current sound is pretty good. I have 21 days to test this machine. I'm reluctant to mess with it since it works sooooo good.but as mentioned i'm using the realtek on board sound from the headphone jack. will there be a discernable difference with a USB card and is it worth the risk ?

Inviato Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 12:36 pm
If it is workin good then why change?? I have learned if it aint broke dont fix it LOL.

Inviato Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 2:18 pm
I tend to agree on the not broke dont fix response. The sound seems good to me on the on board card but I keep thinking it would be so much better with a dedicated pro sound card..........but I worry if I add one I'll have all the problems others seems to be having with usb cards..I guess I always want the best. I have an old pc with EMU 1212 sound card - I'll A/B it Vs the HP laptop with on board realtek sound and see if there is a discernable difference

Inviato Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 6:40 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
well, im one of those morons who's never happy with what i have. always tweaking and mucking about. sometimes you pay the price and ive learned to never take chances during moments where i need it to be reliable. however, in tweaking, i learn alot about gear and what i have.

ive noticed that my soundcard has lasted through several laptops since the idea of the hardware is pretty solid and doesnt change all that much. more so, the desire for a newer faster laptop refreshes much more often than the desire for a new soundcard.

saying you bought a new decent soundcard and it doesnt work with your pavillion, would it be so bad to wait till the next year when you buy a new one?

im curious to know the details of what the HP people said why it has problems. the USB bus is the USB bus, and it should work just fine.

you also have other options, ie, a firewire device or a carbus device. you already have and like the emu1212., have you looked at or tried the emu1616 or 1616m? I recommend cardbus over all other mobile interfaces, you only need to check if your laptop is cardbus or expresscard (which is still good becuase you can buy expresscard to carbus adapters for under 100 bucks)

Inviato Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 10:53 pm
garyBR wrote below re HP engineer and USB external sound card. I like to tweak to improve too but I'm paranoid since its working GREAT finally ( after months of freezing) and even installing something and de-installing it worries me. I agree, maybe the cardbus is a better option that USB but I'm looking for a Digital to Analog converter that will use sp/dif or usb out of PC and into DAC WITHOUT any drivers or software on the PC...and ideas ?

[
Posted Mon 12 Nov 07 @ 00:05:59

kingdon wrote :
gary y do you ask if its a hp laptop is there something wrong with them

Well, HP have admitted there are compatibility issues with some of their Pavillion Notebooks when it comes to using an external sound card.

An HP engineer actually told me you shouldn't use an external sound card with the one I have.

I've had the same issues with mine so I will be changing it.

I found the best way to almost cure the problem was running VDJ on the battery saver power setting.

Gary]

Inviato Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 8:12 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)