Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Vista Processes and Services

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I run Vista ultimate, VDJ 5.0 on a gaming PC.
I have followed a lot of the posts advising to switch of aero / defender / sidebar / security etc etc
dedicated vdj machine, no internet
I have gone through most of the control panel sections and switched off all the things as instructed and things that seemed obvious to switch off and not damage performance
Despite doing all this there are a lot of Processes and Services running when I ctrl alt del and select task manager. I'm kinda PC savvy but no guru and most of the names are not intuitive in that I dont know if safe to remove or not.
Is it possible to guide me as to whats needed, whats not and how to disable and make the whole process reversible incase I mess up ?

Inviato Wed 23 Jan 08 @ 9:16 pm
My question to you is, Is VDJ running for you good right now?? If the answer is yes leave it alone. I know I have over 35 processes running on Vista Home Premium and VDJ is flawless. I tried gettin rid of processes but I will warn you, shutting off one process may affect another. So I put it back to the way it was and run like that.

Inviato Wed 23 Jan 08 @ 10:05 pm
as per my other post on.....over 50 hours ran ok, then a crash....... I'm not sure if I'm running ok or not, hence the question. I ran the Pc over 24 hours automix non stop, it eventually crashed. I rebooted and recently ran 48 hours ok. Maybe I'm asking too much ? I'm now testing 8 hour sessions with a reboot between sessions. I thought my ibuypower gamer machine was running great till this one crash.

Inviato Wed 23 Jan 08 @ 10:18 pm
Ok but do u honestly dj for 48 hours straight??? Have you ever crashed at say a 5 hour gig?? If not i will say your doin ok. I wouldnt worry about it.

Inviato Thu 24 Jan 08 @ 4:19 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dave is a perfectionist or needs a video jukebox, anyway he is a patient and passionate guy and I believe he gets the award for the longest VDJ video session or in that matter for any video dj software and he should be mentioned in the Guinness World Records Book.

Inviato Thu 24 Jan 08 @ 4:59 pm
Now to stay on topic, Dave kill all the vista processes and instal xp pro, you will get about 16 to 20 processes running and your machine will thank you and yes I (and not only I) do believe that xp is more performant then vista for video even without the latest direct x unless your machine is not xp compatible

Inviato Thu 24 Jan 08 @ 5:09 pm

Inviato Fri 25 Jan 08 @ 9:27 am
Andy, is that with networking and printing or not?

Inviato Fri 25 Jan 08 @ 11:14 am
no, no networking or printing, just virtual dj, maya 44 usb soundcard, external hard drive, and DMC2 controller.

Inviato Sat 26 Jan 08 @ 11:48 am
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You can get hold of free programs that will let you tailor your set up and stop unwanted services. They also give you an idea of what the service is. I think doing it manually would remove more, but the good thing about using this type of software is that it normally allows you to make a back up of your settings, so if something doesn't work, its easy to put them back.

I'm using a gaming machine, with about 42 processes runnning. Like an earlier user said, i did disable a lot, but then found i had no problems using Vista out the box, so i let them all run now. I do turn off anything that 'scans' such as defender, and makes sure there is nothing set to run in the task sheduler.

I think stopping services was initially suggested for people that were having trouble getting the required performance out of their laptops, but it made people think if its there, i may as well try it, even though they might not need too.

If you are unsure what a service does, a quick google will take you to any one of a number of sites that give a list and explanation of each service. Many of them will also tell you whats safe to disable or not.

If i remember, you are using an HP machine. Taking off the HP software will also stop some of the services.

Good luck

Gary

Inviato Sun 27 Jan 08 @ 4:14 pm
djlex wrote :
Dave is a perfectionist or needs a video jukebox, anyway he is a patient and passionate guy and I believe he gets the award for the longest VDJ video session or in that matter for any video dj software and he should be mentioned in the Guinness World Records Book.

I do need video jukebox - I set 100 songs and do other things at gig - i use automix and seek flawless performance. I'm please that the major crash is not hapenning ( technically it has happened once per machine during 60+ hours of non stop automix )

Inviato Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 12:43 pm
Dave man you might be on to something, anyway you proved to all others including me that VDJ can handle video for long sessions.

Inviato Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 2:19 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I do honestly think if you want perfection & a jukebox you shouldn't be looking at a computer, as you will never get perfection.

The computer will only do what you want it to do, and already you are looking at ways to stop it doing certain things (services) to try and make it perfect.

You are on to a no win situation if you are looking for perfection!

Inviato Tue 29 Jan 08 @ 9:32 pm
I'm used to working with production class enterprise software, given 100 vob files that work once, why can't vdj play them in automix for ever given heat control. As of now I'm running 48hrs non stop. Only issue is video hiccup after transition complete.

Inviato Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 12:48 am
davefromlondon wrote :
I'm used to working with production class enterprise software, given 100 vob files that work once, why can't vdj play them in automix for ever given heat control. As of now I'm running 48hrs non stop. Only issue is video hiccup after transition complete.

I think we all notice this little hiccup and for those who dont I wanna know what u are running.

Inviato Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 12:54 am
I just went back to an older xp machine v4.3 and it does not hiccup after transition BUT transition is a bit choppier than the vista 5.6 machine

Inviato Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 10:18 pm
can VDJ version 2, run on Vista?

Inviato Thu 31 Jan 08 @ 11:13 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Thu 31 Jan 08 @ 11:45 am
jboomerHome userMember since 2008
Set the OS for Best Performance and use MSCONFIG to determine what processes you can turn off without effecting your setup.

Inviato Sun 03 Feb 08 @ 9:08 pm
jboomerHome userMember since 2008
Oh, and another way to determine what a process is for is simply to Google it. Or, use the following site to find out: http://www.processlibrary.com/

Inviato Sun 03 Feb 08 @ 9:11 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)