Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Latency issue between master and cue.

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

andycPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi There,

I am having a small issue regarding latency between my master output and headphone cue. I have done nearly everthing in terms of optimizing performance my pc that i found on this forum.

Here is my issue:

My master is very slightly slower in terms of output. My headphone seems to be playing sound quicker then my master.

My hardware at the present moment:

Dell Precision M90 Workstation
Windows XP SP2, VDJ pro 5
Intel Core Duo T2700 @ 2.33ghz
2 GB Ram
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook via Duel adapter pcmcia to express card interface
4.1 setup for cue and master (2 output)
Master Unit: Bose Lifestyle 18 - Series 3 Home theather system

(I will be getting my Mackie d.2 in two days)

Could someone here help me out please?

Cheers

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 08 @ 2:17 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
you mean when you are cueing a track and press the cue button (cue, cue, cue, play) there is a small lag? thats standard but how much lag is the key question.

i dont know much about the audigy soundcard but im a bit confused what you mean about 'pcmcia to expresscard'.

what people generally mean about 'pcmcia' is 'cardbus'. pcmcia is not a format, its the company that invented the format. carbus is the old pin-based card in 54mm profile. expresscard is the PCI express version of cardbus which is faster and now in 34 and 54mm profiles.

generally the latency is quite good but i've seen studies that indicate that there might be more latency in expresscard due to the 'channelization' (1, 2, 4 and 8). mind you this was a study regarding the use of expresscard format for telecomm switches which demand huge performance. it wasnt related to audio.

so enough of the nerd talk. which format do you have? what are the setting you have in the performance screen? if you dig around, someone posted a really cool latency checker which helps you find services and hardware on your machine to turn off to gain better performance.

i think your pc looks fast enough. i only doubt the sound card. audigy series wasnt really a performance audio card, more like a hardcore gamer card. AFAIK the Audigy Z2 is not expresscard, but the new X-FI series is. Thing is I recommend you go for an audio card which is more for djs and audio production. Take a look at the Emu 1616M. Affordable and very good.

Other thing is to look around for the control panel of your soundcard. there might be a latency setting there that overrides any applications. for instance, you could put VDJ on 1ms but that does notthing. in that case the soundcard control is setting that. i just found such a thing on my A&H Xone:3D.

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 08 @ 5:59 am
hey mate thanks for taking the time to write all that.. hehehe...

Actually I wasnt talking about the cue button, but was actually concerned about the PFL headphone monitoring. The sound coming from my master is slower then the sound from my headphones by a little bit but enough to be annoying. There is no distance issue as I am at home.

Basically my dell has only has an express card slot. So in order for me to use the Audigy, I needed to get a hardware that interfaced pcmicia to expresscard. (dueladapters.com)

My settings are :

presets: Fastest
Latency: Auto
Safe mode : off
overclock: on
optimize for Latency
simple algorithm
basic interpolation
master tempo: fast

I have also set my OS :

No VM paging
Visual effects: for peformance
No harware acceleration for my Graphics card
Processor sheduling: background services
memory usage: system cache
No automatic updates
no system restore
Formated HDD just for VDJ as well

I tried looking for the settings program for my card but couldnt find any that related.

What do you think?

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 08 @ 7:59 am
ok. i dont know about the adapters, i only know of them (expresscard to cardbus). i wouldnt be quick to blame that either.

but i still dont quite understand what you mean by the PFL is slower. slower in what aspect? is it slower as in it starts slower (basically thats still a cue button issue) or slower that it doesnt beatmatch and the time slips out more and more?

if its a time slip issue, it would likely be things other than latency. latency is just the general responsiveness between the system and the operator. for instance, when you use the crossfader really quick (wing it back and force super fast) is there any strange noises or is the timing just off. also when punching the cue button, you can expect a fraction of a second delay. for instance, using software to do turntablism (butterfly scratching and transforming) you need to reprogram your brain for the 1/10th of a second delay. When you get good at that, then go back to real turntables, youre completely screwed.

anyhow, i wont give advice until i know exactly what the problem is otherwise i just sound silly. i hope you're not in too much of a hurry cuz im on my way home from work and then off to a house party with VDJ and my xone:3d to get completely hammered and forget this miserable week. but you have about an 1.5 hour window to reach me before i become completely unintelligible...

one last question, cuz i had a problem similar (if i guess correctly), how are you hearing your music from master? is it hooked up to a stereo and exactly what kind? when i first got my harmon kardon system (surround sound for home/theatre use) i patch into that as well as my studio monitors for extra power. i noticed the same, the music was off. i could only tell because of the difference between studio monitor off the mixer and the sound from the harmon kardon. after hours of messing around, I found one surround sound mode on the remote could be turned off by pressing the same button twice. surround sound is basically a fake. it deals with crossing certain frequencies over and delaying the signal. so your rear speakers cut above 4khz and are delayed about 100ms to give it that 'surround feel' which is bollocks. you only get real surround sound when you have an AC3 encoded audio source. for music, it just screws with what i mentioned above. really ticks off the dj as well .....

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 08 @ 8:22 am
hey there,

finally got my d2 pro and still having the same problem. Got an asio setup and when I listen on my headphones the main channel vs whats playing on the main channel via my master monitor(bose) there is a delay on my bose system.. just by a bit... sound is coming out of my headphone just a little faster... pisses me off.. cause I am used to the tradtional wax and needle and kinda bothers me things like this.. hehehe...

Inviato Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 12:48 pm
I just bought a lifestyle 18 series 3 home theather system from bose and having a slight issue. There is some sort of audio time slip issue.

The sound coming out of my heaphone is slightly quicker then the sound coming out of my master. I can tell this because I am monitoring the master on my headphones.

My setup :

Pc win XP SP2 optimized fully for VDJ 5 pro, done all the system setting. OS specially for VDJ as well.

Running mackie d2 pro.

Master bose lifestyle 18 S3

VDJ setting on make latency...
Asio... 5ms latency... (not even running TCV)
Video option on VDJ off... not interested

any help?

cheers

Inviato Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 2:07 pm
m8, its exactly what i mentioned in the last bit. you are using a home theatre system which is using a delay on the speakers. you need to study the manual for your bose theatre system and find out how to turn the surround mode off. its not vdj or computer, its the speaker system. trust me...

Inviato Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 8:30 pm
yeah.. thanks mate .. appreciate the help... was on the phone with bose and they said the audio processing cannot be turned off... need proper monitors i guess... guess its time to spend more money... :-( hehe

Inviato Fri 22 Feb 08 @ 6:07 am
yeah u need a propper amp ... mose bose syatms have that delay

Inviato Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 3:40 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)