Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: NO MORE CRASHES

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I made a few adjustments that I want to share with the VDJ community....

The most important thing I did was get rid of Service Pack 2 and installed Service Pack 1. This is the important step! This process requires that you reformat and reinstall win xp, but since I took this major step I've experienced, "NO MORE CRASHES."

After fooling around with VDJ for a few days, I decided to add more RAM - 512meg. NOW I RUN VDJ with 1024meg. This was done because it improves performance in other audio programs (WAVELAB) and it's just faster and smoother, especially when you record 30 minutes of music. I also replaced the hard drive from a 4200 RPM to a 7200 RPM.

So it took a few teaks and three hundred dollars, but I am very happy with the results. The elimination of Service Pack 2 is the important teak. You don't have to spend any money on RAM or a new hard drive unless you want the increased performance.

DJ JOSE

VIOA 3.06 Pentium 4 Notebook
1024 Meg
60 gig 7200 RMP Drive

Inviato Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 3:05 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,

Are you sure that it isn't some of the additional services running in the background that cause WinXP SP2 to crash? The most notable one I'm thinking of being the Personal Firewall. Removing SP2 is simply not a viable solution for people who purchase new computers/laptops because SP2 comes as default and unless you buy another version of Windows (or acquire one illegally). I'd imagine the new product keys don't work with pre-SP2 either before anyone states the obvious (though this needs to be confirmed).

Inviato Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 3:14 pm
TRUE!

But I did disable the firewall. I know that there's alot of talk about hacking, but if you're not using the computer on the web, YOU DON'T need certain features. That said, I had a disktop where I had many problems with Service Pack 2 and audio programs. But the problem was the motherboard and SP2. There was nothing wrong with my motherboard, but Service Pack 2 did not like something in my motherboard. When I got rid of Service Pack 2, all the software related problems were gone. Months later I bought a new motherboard and did some tests with Service Pack 2. Some audio programs were working great while others did not. GUESS what? Programs did not crash with SP1. That tells me that it really has to do with your hardware and the Service Pack version. I've experimented extensively. If you're having problems, try it out - YOU'LL BE VERY SURPRISED WITH THE RESULTS.

DJ JOSE

Inviato Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 3:23 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Don't get me wrong - I'd imagine given the extensve overhaul the operating system was given between SP1 and SP2 there probably are quite a few programs that will have problems. Unfortunately I am not really in a position on my new laptop to move to SP1 unless I use a work version (we're MSDN subscribers so getting hold of the media isn't a problem).

However, as highlighted, it probably isn't a viable option for many people buying new machines now, and obviously over time will become even harder. What we really need is to try and find out what the issues are with SP2 and resolve them accordingly. Some of it might be services related, some hardware and driver related etc. I'm sure as time progresses and the VDJ team do some analysis and provide updates, SP2 should stabilise for VDJ. I mean with new PCs/laptops, theorectically the hardware is certified with SP2 so that should eliminate some problems.

Inviato Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 3:40 pm
Sp2 is not bad for everyone....ive had it since the beta version and i have no problems....i think the fact that you doubled your ram is more like the real reason your cpu was crashing
Maybe it was heat.....if your cpu swaps then it will heat up faster if its running full steam ahead.
Ever since i was able to keep my temp at 50 celcius (NO MORE CRASHES)Search for temp posts....you will find many
Also if you are experimented ....tweak your settings to power user (www.blackviper.com)
Some of the sp2 settings will actually make your computer much faster than sp1 while a lot of them are not neccessary......happy reading
Andre

Inviato Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 4:27 pm
It's not bad for everyone. It depends on your system. That's why it's worth a try. If you're having issues and are using Win xp SP2 try Win xp with SP1. Memory is important, but I was able to get good performance from 512 meg.

DJ JOSE

Inviato Sat 22 Jan 05 @ 8:20 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)