Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'm so depressed, plz help me ;-) - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have just been listening to the VDJ radio and the "Ejunkie" mixes, wow - this guy is more than great, hes fantastic ;-) Now, i just feel like killing myself ;-)

Btw, just want to say that all of you that doing live shows on VDJ radio are doing a great job, i listen as much as i can i i think all of you are doing a great job ;-)

Inviato Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 12:29 am
I need to hear these mixes dangit.

Inviato Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 12:44 am
thanks a lot guy, i'll transmit the message to unkie ;-)
Keep listening the radio, we're trying to offer good musique...

see u soon, bye
Guillaume / Crazy G

Inviato Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 2:49 am
It's just a new generation radio! It's really funny. I hope, maybe one day, you'll mixe on vdj radio, cos it's a very good experience. I know I've got many many chance to do that.
See you soon on the best dj's radio :))
Yann

Inviato Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 6:01 am
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
thanxs for encouraging us.
We are looking for american djs to mix when we europeans are all in bed. If you want to mix on the radio ask to do it on the radio page;-)

Inviato Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 7:48 pm
Graham5PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I asked to get involved over 2 weeks ago, and have finally been told that due to popular demand there have been delays in getting people authorised to DJ. There is to be a meeting this week to discuss how best to deal with the problem.

The frustrating thing is that when I have looked at the schedule over the last few days there has been loads of free slots that I would have liked to DJ in???

Inviato Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 12:13 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey Pern. Don't be depressed, good music getting played is happy. If you're depressed that this person is so good and you're not, keep practicing. Djing is very much like playing an instrument..more complex in some ways. It's just practice, practice, practice....and a good sense of beat....and staying in tune with the scene...and.... Good luck.

Inviato Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 3:46 am
Just wanted to let the people behind the radio service know that they are doing a fantastic job.

Used to do mobile and clubs "way back", then i got into radio and been doing that for a long time. Guess i'm going back to my roots now ;-)

Inviato Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 8:48 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Pern, I've been through the same thing. Don't know what you're way back is...mine was late 80's when I hit my "peak". I was a club dj, only did Radio when I won a couple of mix contests in NY and Tampa. Got out of it for the business world. Just got back to this as a love/hobby...the whole thing changed. It's a lot different then it was when you tried to mix vinyl, with music that was human made...what a difference. Hit a button and mix. Now it's all about keeping on top of the music..at a high level. I mean it was always about the music, but now it's worldwide "on top of the music". Very interesting to me.

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 3:03 am
About the same period,late 80's - early 90's. And a lot of radio i the 90's. I always prefered to do drive time and evening slots where you could play up-tempo and dance music. Then as a technical guy i got more and more over to that part and ended up with my own company designing and building studio equipment for radio and recording studios. Today i work mostly with Software/Internet-related stuff.

Now, i'm back to it and actually thanks to that i first tried a demo of AtomixMP3 a while a go, i really liked it but was a little to "basic". VDJ is much better and even if it's not perfect from my point of view i have great hopes for it in the future. I'm not planning to get back in it as a pro Dj but the technical side of it today really interest me a lot (Hardware, consoles, Mixers, Software etc) that's why i'm doing a lot of DIY of DJ Equipment-stuff and at the moment also working on a website to publish it at.

And yes, it has changed. But for the better i think. It took me a while to accept the "Click-and mix" kind of mixing. But really, it's still much more than that to be a good DJ today. That's why i really enjoy people doing great mixes. And not just not one or two, anyone can do that. But people that can do it for an hour or two in a row.

I think that's there is a lot of people like us that are comming back to it, and it's really so hard to resist. The music is so great today and it's just so fun, and VDJ is a big part of that. Just love it.

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 8:10 am
Good to hear your interest for DJ-ing is back on track... (no pun...lol)

Just wanted to say that a good DJ is NOT all about being techincal ("everybody" can do that), but a very big part is selecting the right tracks....
Tracks that will get the crowd going, tracks that will build the atmosphere, tracks that will make the mix progress... and mixing tracks that FIT together, in the sense that they sound good together, and even better if they have the same or fitting key (harmonic mixing)

Thats what seperates a dj that I say "wow" to, and a DJ thats great technical... (say "nice" too, lol)

;) just a few thoughts...

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 1:37 pm
Harmonic mixing......thanks dude first time i hear about this subject besides all my posts in the past 6 months
Finally you come along.....lol
Music selectoin is the most important.hands down
Andre

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 5:26 pm
If you think the crowd gives a shit when you do a harmonically correct mix, you'd be wrong. They just wanna hear *their* song. When it comes on, they shake a$$. It's that simple.

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 5:58 pm
true... at a club gig, that would be the case... ;) ass-shaking-music ...lol

But, my point was MUSIC FIRST, technical stuff second...

the harmonic part is more for advanced dj-ing at festivals, remixing... and stuff like that ;) Tiesto style.. lool

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 7:03 pm
@anewsome

I assume you know what Harmonic Mixing is. To say that it doesn’t matter makes me wonder though. Let me try to make an analogy for those who might be confused by your statement.

If you’ve ever heard a dj mixing an accapella over a track that was not the original track, you've probably heard at least one that just sounds plain ugly, because it just doesn’t "fit". That my friend is a simple example of Harmonic Mixing gone wrong, because the singer is probably in a completely different "key" than the music track.

Many DJs do Harmonic Mixes here and there without even knowing... and also PART of the reason we preview tracks in our headphones and decide in a few seconds if it's going to sound good in the main mix.

Yes, the audience wants to hear THEIR song, but you are also appealing to their sub-conscious by making songs "sound good together", which is what helps to give people the vibe and overall good feeling about the experience... unless you are not a mix DJ. Then all you would need is WinAmp.

As someone else mentioned... there are things about DJing that separate the men from the boys, so be careful.

@dj-in-Norway, I would say that Harmonic Mixing is for any event and if you have the musical talent to recognize song keys, you will sound that much better.

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 9:17 pm
Yes Mele, I do know what harmonic mixing is. I even read one of those DJ tutorials on how to do it but I still don't get it. I used to play guitar and I used to even know how to read music, so I do understand what a "key" is. But I certainly don't have perfect pitch, I can't call out a key just by hearing the song but I do know what sounds good together. I think I'm pretty good at that. I looked at my last post again and I think you guys got the wrong tone out of it. I wasn't discounting the importance of harmonic mixing, but I do frequent the club scene and I know crowds. They are either gonna be shaking ass cuz their song is on, or they'll be sippin their drinks with a puss on their faces, wondering what the hell is the DJ playing.

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 9:24 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Unless you are doing quick breakbeat or hiphop slam mixes, I'd wager that just about everyone does harmonic mixing without even realizing it. It's not like I think to myself, "Ok, this track is in C. Ok, now I need a track a 5th above that would sound great." Maybe some can do that, but I can't. =)

We can all tell what sounds right, and what doesn't....what is in tune and what isn't...what is harmonic and what is not. You don't need to know the name of the note to tell if it is "right".

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 9:36 pm
@anewsome
I guess I don't get your point from your last couple of posts. You appear to be saying that people either like the way you dj depending on how many of their favorite songs they hear, or they think you stink if you don't play enough of their favorite songs.

Again I think the total experience is what matters in the end. As you know, you can never satisfy everyone and there are those that can never be satisfied. Not sure what type of clubs you've been working in, but my experience tells me that people appreciate sets that are well put together, even if they don't say it, they subconsciously enjoy it. So my point is that, a mix that "sounds good" is almost always harmonically compatible songs, so aspiring to mix harmonically helps. I suppose you could think of it as just a term to describe what sounds good, but maybe it is the scientific term.

@Bargler
I'm not suggesting that we all need to be able to id a song key in order to mix, but there is a difference between beat-matching BPMs and "knowing what sounds good". So I'm suggesting that some DJs are better at this than others. (ref my previous analogy in my other post)

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 11:27 pm
anewsome: “If you think the crowd gives a [bleep] when you do a harmonically correct mix, you'd be wrong. They just wanna hear *their* song.”

I found this to be very true. DJs don’t listen to music played in public the same way as most people do.

Example: My wife and I went to a friend’s birthday party. The DJ for the party could not beat mix—I thought we were at a track (for horse racing), he brought in songs at the wrong time, I don’t even think he knew how to use the pitch control…. In short, he didn’t have good technical skills. Despite his awful attempts at mixing, he kept the dance floor packed!

After the occasion, many people commented on how good the DJ was. My wife asked me what I thought; I told her that he was terrible. I then explained (from a DJ’s perspective) to her why. She informed me (from a participant’s perspective) that she liked him because he played a lot of songs she wanted to hear. She also didn’t notice the many mixing mishaps I pointed out to her. I then realized he had the most important skill a DJ could have—he could read and react to the crowd well. He also interacted very well with the crowd. Some DJs get so caught up into the technical aspects of DJing that they forget about the practical aspects—pleasing the people.

Although the above DJ kept the floor packed, I still think a DJ should stay in control of the dance floor and not let the crowd control it. However, as anewsome stated, the crowd just “wanna hear *their* song”—regardless of how you give it to them.

Just one DJ’s opinion on the complexities of DJing.

OO

Inviato Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 11:32 pm
He He this is really funny ........harmonic mixing is the next step for djs that want to perfect themselves
i cant tell you in very simple terms: C goes with E and G therefore also goes with A because and A/G are the same note,
It does make a difference .....not to "joe public"but if you have any one who knows a bit about music they will notice right away and beleive it or not a lot of people that go to clubs like and know music
This is why it would be important to include in vdj the key of the song.......
as suggested in the past.
Maybe we just have been djiing for too long......lol
Abdre

Inviato Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 12:04 am
54%