Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Formal support for FLAC in Virtual DJ - Cue 5 [already supported but not the tag]

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi Guys,

I recently invested in Numark Cue 5, only to disappointedly find it has no formal support for the FLAC codec.

Following advice from another forum member, I implemented oggcodecs, and in NC5 added the flac codec assigned to 'Windows Media Audio'. This allowed me to play flac files. However, VDJ / NC5 still does not support the flac meta tag & cover art data.

The application of another tool, authored by another forum member, does the trick for basic tag info. But I stress that it is a tool, a cumbersome one, which is not automated. It needs to be run manually to update the XML VDJ database on an as needed basis. VDJ then reads the updated database accordingly. This does not resolve the display of cover art data.

However, I'd like to emphasise that the measures undertaken above are simply work arounds and that a formal automated facility for total flac support is still needed.

I'm sure you'll find that there is a growing number in the VDJ community and beyond, considering or using the flac codec. It is a codec that has been accepted by major audiophile media server hardware manufacturers, (e.g. Linn, Logitech, Slim Devices, Sonos...to name but a few) and is adopted by many major players in the music industry for the distribution of music. It is also a valuable format for dj's which allows the manipulation of recordings in their total lossless state!

Lesser 'rival' products support it. Oh, and even the mighty Winamp supports it!

If VDJ Development team does not act soon, it will allow others to steal a march on them!

I must remind you that in business those that succeed are those that guard against complacency and always look to stay ahead of the competition. Wake up guys... FLAC is a major format of the future.

I'm going to persevere with the work arounds and hope your guys produce a worthy patch update before I too am enticed by one of the rivals.

Yours faithfully

Steve

Inviato Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 8:34 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
There is already a similar thread in the general forum regarding this topic. please see your answers there....and please do not start anymore threads along this line. Thank you.

Inviato Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 8:41 am
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am aware that there are threads in the general forum regarding this topic. However, I must say that I am a little dismayed with your response. The reason I took the time to post this topic here is because I was urged to do so by your technical support team, in a response to a query on this topic. They made time to write to me so I honoured that effort to follow their advice. And I quote:

"Its always a good idea to add this kind of input to our new features forum.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/18/Wishes_and_new_features.html

Development looks there first, and I have passed this on also.
Posting in a thread will generate more interest and demand will get more attention then."

Perhaps you guys should talk more to each other. Sorry I troubled you.

Regards

Steve

Inviato Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 9:09 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Sorry Steve, we are not privy to private communications between the users and technical support. Please accept my apologies.....

Inviato Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 9:15 am
Apology accepted Mr / Ms TearEmUp....

As you quite rightly state, there are discussions in the forum on this topic. I've just had a quick scan and found the entries go back many months. Perhaps with your connections you may shed some light to us members if the VDJ Development Team has FLAC Support in its roadmap and if these intentions, with possible estimates, can be published?

Cheers

Steve

Inviato Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 4:37 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 3:45 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I've already instructed him to do that cioce, he's asking for out-of-the-box flac support, and metadata/tag support.

Inviato Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 6:09 am
Hi Cioce,

Thank you for your considered reply. However, I am aware of that; SBDJ, whom I'm very grateful to, had already advised me of that. Perhaps your misunderstanding of the essence of my query and requests is common throughout the organization and may explain the lack of feedback or progress, for the many months that posts on this subject have appeared in this forum. SBDJ is correct in his observation. SBDJ is devoid of comprehensive support for the flac codec to allow the use of the power and functionality of VDJ when managing the files. The ability to play them is one thing, but to know what they are is another! So, I guess the amendment to the topic of '[ALREADY SUPPORTED]# is somewhat premature and innacurate, not to mention misleading to the membership and anybody else with interest in FLAC, which no doubt will spawn more questions when it is found that it is not the case. However, if it is the VDJ team's interpretation that the ability to play flac means it is fully supported and so have little intention to progress the product, then I apologize and will may have to consider an alternative product.

Thanks again for your considered time....and high five's to you SBDJ.

Regards

Steve

Inviato Wed 19 Nov 08 @ 6:26 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I will retry to ask a FULL support to the team but I really don't know when this will be included, my request of new features is not short :)

Inviato Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 5:12 am
Hi Cioce,

Thank you for your response and efforts. To be honest, 'when' is not an issue, 'Intention / commitment to' is. It would be nice to know if there is a commitment to add formal flac support. The publication of roadmap development will no doubt suppress and/or prevent many repetitive entries being added to the forum; not to mention deter users from looking elsewhere for solutions. The trade of I guess would be the subsequent questions of when? But hey, we are the users that finance the development through purchases, those that manage development would have a better idea of what & when.

Thanx again for your time. I'll persevere with VDJ for now, unless I get enticed to another product, which if happens I'll wish you guys the best of luck for the future.

Cheers

Steve

Inviato Thu 20 Nov 08 @ 8:05 am
Hi Guys.

I would also like to see full support for the Flac format. I have been rather busy these past few weeks ripping my CD's to Flac, and i must say there is a great improvement in sound quality. I am currently using the Ogg Codec pack to play flac files through virtual DJ although this does work, it would be nice to see the Meta tags & Album art being fully implemented. I hope we all get a nice christmas present soon.

regards

Michael

Inviato Thu 27 Nov 08 @ 2:34 am
Any updates on when full FLAC support will be implemented in VDJ/CUE?

Inviato Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 6:45 pm
any news about this ppl thank you

Inviato Tue 08 Oct 13 @ 4:50 pm
does it pay FLAC files or not, i need this response urgently please, i´m going to make a session on saturday please somebody

thank you

Inviato Tue 08 Oct 13 @ 4:51 pm
i tested the post above with the foto, but nothing but noise goes out....

Inviato Tue 08 Oct 13 @ 4:52 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
VDJ supports FLAC playback out of the box.

Inviato Wed 09 Oct 13 @ 6:19 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)