Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mac Book Pro's new GPU

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

VOG_PRO InfinityMember since 2006
There is allot of talk around the new Mac Books Pro's twin graphics cardd and how applications can now tap into the power available from the second GPU processor.

I am just curious if VDJ has any plans to use this technology in the next sweet of updates, it seems like a great solution for VJs

Inviato Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 10:37 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The new Mac Book Pro is a one or the other design. Both GPUs are not active at the same time. It is a power saving feature. You make the change in the Mac Power Savings settings. Now, I can tell you that either GPU is very good. And since 99.9% of the time you will be on a power supply using the higher end GPU isn't going to affect anything from a performance standpoint.

Inviato Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 11:53 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Right now its tied to the power however the architecture is there for switching. The new nvidia gpu's are really good on paper.

Inviato Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 3:58 pm
When you do a switch the system must log out and log back in ... the architecture does not allow for a simple switch by software.

Inviato Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 4:18 pm
Yeah I noticed that too, but for some reason I thought they could be used concurrently.

I believe snow leopard will allow developers greater access to the GPU.

Would this be of benefit to VDJ or as the program is mostly graphics based for those doing video I sure that processing would be assigned to the graphics card anyways

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 2:12 pm
Well from what I have seen with mine ... it doesn't matter which GPU I use the quality and performance over all is GREAT. And I am not familiar with the hardware architecture design ... but if the hardware wiring isn't setup to have both GPUs active where they don't conflict then it doesn't matter what you try to do with the software (O/S).

I think that is why when you switch between the 2 now you have to 'log off' is so that way the O/S can dedicate is configuration to 1 GPU and turn the other off. Otherwise if the GPUs could be 'actively' running at the same time then the switching would be a much more simple process without the log off.

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 2:23 pm
Yeah I tend to agree with that.

as soon as I watched the Keynotes address my first thought was that would rock for video djing.

The testing I have been doing with VJ on Mac OSX with videos has been really good so far.

The biggest downside of the new mac book pro in my opinion is the lack of the S-Video out, I have had to buy a vga to s video converter which I am waiting to arrive. The club I am in only has s-video

Inviato Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 2:34 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)