Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 7200rpm vs 5400rpm hard drivers

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

djlxproPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Are 7200rpm hard drives better for VDJ than 5400rpm hard drives?????

Inviato Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 8:23 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
yep...

Inviato Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 7:08 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

djlxpro wrote :
Are 7200rpm hard drives better for VDJ than 5400rpm hard drives?????

Yes they are, I have both, and to be honest I can't tell the difference performance wise.

My old drive was a 5400rpm drive, my new drive is 7200rpm. The only way I can tell it's a faster drive is when I come to transfer files onto it. When I use it with VirtualDJ it's just performs the same as my old drive did.

Inviato Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 7:14 am
CidKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Interesting, i would of though that since hhd goes straight into ram back and forth, i would of been best to have the fatest hard drive speed and the biggest cache you can get too.

Inviato Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 12:08 pm
If you are doing loads of video then there's probably a difference, but for music it's zilch. I have used laptops to DJ with since 1999, and even the old 4600rpm drives handle music perfectly.

Inviato Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 3:19 pm
DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
You would only REALLY notice a VDJ performance difference when mixing video.

VDJ doesn't really read/write much to the harddrives when audio only mixing (loading the mp3, accessing the database), most of the grunt comes from CPU, not disks!

That being said if I was purchasing a new computer I'd demand 7200rpm or higher simply because they cost almost nothing extra.

But if you were thinking of upgrading 5400rpm's then I wouldn't bother, spend the money on a better CPU!

Inviato Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 11:33 pm
DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
CidK wrote :
Interesting, i would of though that since hhd goes straight into ram back and forth, i would of been best to have the fatest hard drive speed and the biggest cache you can get too.

Once your PC has booted and VDJ is safely loaded not much data will be written to and from memory and disk, if you have enough memory.

For a dedicated DJ PC with only VDJ loaded and no antivirus/firewall etc loaded, I'd recommend 1GB for an XP machine and 2-3GB for a Vista machine.

You may require more if you're video mixing.

Open task manager and go to the 'Performance' tab and check out your 'PF usage'. As long as this is 75% of your RAM or less then you'll be fine. If not consider upgrading your RAM.

Inviato Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 11:44 pm
CidKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Sweet, well i got a Macbook Pro, with 4 gb of ram and 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo. My machine is super stable, was just wondering that maybe a lower drive would of make bottleneck for the rest of the system. But yeah it makes sense, all is loaded up, and its not the occasional track loading that will ask alot of disk usage.

Inviato Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 10:19 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)