Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Aluminium MacBook Pro - Video Output??

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hey guys,

I have been running video on my Sony Vaio laptop for quite some time now but due to the fact the harddrive is knackered i want to do it on my Macbook Pro (2008 model/Aluminium).

Like ALOT of Macbook Pro users now are having problems with the Mini displayport. I was just wondering whether anyone here has found a successful system setup. For flexibility, ideally, i would need a phono/rca out or at very least an s-video but all the setups i have tested (MDP to VGA then VGA through a PCtoTV box)have problems with flickering (probably refresh rates) that can't be fixed at the moment.

Any ideas anyone.

Inviato Sat 25 Apr 09 @ 9:58 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 8:22 am

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 8:56 am
Thanks guys - i already have the Apple VGA adapter. And i have a KWorld box (this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223833).

If i run a VGA cable straight to the TV its fine but through the box i can't get a crystal clear picture. it randomly flickers throught the video - on slower songs etc and static images it is fine which is why i was led to beleive it is probably refresh rates.

Any way - i am looking to update two of my gig screens in the next couple of months and as i have only 1 vid gig arranged before then i will struggle through. My new screens will have HDMI inputs and i have orderder and Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter and a HDMI distributer so in theory this should substantially improve the picture quality.

Let's hope anyway.

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 10:38 am
You are correct regarding better quality using the HDMI... that will be quite a difference.

Now that you mention the poor video quality using the VGA to Kworld box, I do remember seeing it when I first got my Macbook. Make sure you go to your power manager console and switch to the better performance video card setting (if you haven't already). That helped a little.....

I have been using VDJ on Windows XP (Dual Boot option on my MBP)... I noticed much better video quality than when using on Mac OS. Unlike Mac OS, you will have a nVidea video card console when using XP. That will give you more video config options.

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 11:06 am
I just checked out your PC to TV from Kworld and noticed its a different model.... not sure if the one I have is better quality of a converter... Maybe that's why I'm not noticing as much flickering and poor quality issues. If you plan on having the option to use S-video and Composite, you may want to look into getting a different Pc to TV box. You might notice better quality.

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 11:14 am
@djfanatic1200

Thanks for you input mate and i totally agree - a better quailty box may be the way forward.

I have seen some HDMI downscalers on the market - may look into one of those. they a little pricey but logically it must be better to downscale than try and improve something that is already downscaled via VGA (if you get my drift).

Thanks for your input.

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 11:40 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
djtouchdan wrote :

If i run a VGA cable straight to the TV its fine but through the box i can't get a crystal clear picture. it randomly flickers throught the video - on slower songs etc and static images it is fine which is why i was led to beleive it is probably refresh rates.

sounds like to me the tv is loosing sync there should be compensation inside every scan converter to prevent this. Also check to be sure you don't have a grounding problem ie the tv's are on a different ground then your scaler. If you looking to upgrade look into cat5 options.

Inviato Sun 26 Apr 09 @ 11:34 pm
djpawPRO InfinityMember since 2006

I have 2 vga to video converters and the quality is poor, let me know if somebody finds a better solution...

Inviato Tue 28 Apr 09 @ 1:22 pm
My mini displayport to HDMI should be delivered from the US tomorrow. Will let you all know what the quality is like.

Inviato Tue 28 Apr 09 @ 2:30 pm
Wait... you said you ordered a Apple Mini-display to HDMI cable? I didn't think that was out yet???

Inviato Tue 28 Apr 09 @ 7:12 pm
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

Ok - it arrived and WOW!! Crystal clear picture on my 26" LCD.

Havent run it for any period of time yet but it works and i would recommend it to anyone who has HDMI tv's in their rig.

djfanatic1200 wrote :
Wait... you said you ordered a Apple Mini-display to HDMI cable? I didn't think that was out yet???

It isn't an Apple branded model - i ordered it from MONOPRICE.com in the US.

UK users - FYI - i ordered this adapter and a high quality 10m HDMI cable - it cost me £34ish including P&P and arrived within 2days.

Once i have tested it some more, if i notice anything abnormal i will let you guys know! In the mean time, BUY BUY BUY. =)

Inviato Wed 29 Apr 09 @ 2:36 pm
Ok - a bit of an update for you here:

Having played around with the HDMI adapter and other things this week i have noticed that the flickering is still present although not as obvious as running via analogue VGA.

So i thought i'd try it within Bootcamp (Windows XP SP3) and see if it made a difference. YES was the over whelming answer - i have been testing it in windows for the past hour and a half with not one flicker/glitch or error. So i beleive the problem must be to do with OSX Leopard or the graphic drivers within it.

I have not tested my original PCtoTV box and VGA adapter in Bootcamp yet but my guess is the previous problems will be non existant there too.

I have emailed Apple who informed me that the drivers and other settings are being improved in OSX Snow Leopard. So i would assume they are aware of a problem and are fixing it within the next OS. So in the mean time i will run on Bootcamp to ensure excellent video and hope that Snow Leopard does the trick.

Just a side note to everyone in general - this goes to show that VDJ isn't the cause of all problems and anything could be hindering the way that VDJ works. It pays to do some research and investigating before moaning at Atomix/VDJ.

Inviato Fri 01 May 09 @ 9:41 am
I have been doing lots of testing with an iMac (radeon 2600 256mb) and a new macbook pro (nvidia 9600 512mb). It flickers, always. I am running it throug VGA. And yes I also noticed that the flicker goes from minimal to annnoying on some videos. It depends on the speed I think. I am quite sad that my new 2,000 USD Macbook Pro can handle what my little Shuttle PC with an X800XT AIW from 2004 can. I know my videos very well and can notice the most minimal line when it appears. I grow watching videos. I think I will have to go the Boot Camp way, sadly. I hope someone can find a cure or at least that Snow Leopard correct this, maybe if they take a look at Wiindows 95 and Direct X they can figure it out (Apple) how to run a .vob

Inviato Wed 17 Jun 09 @ 10:21 am
I too sincerely hope that snow leopard improves the performace of the graphics card under OSX. It isnt the hardware as it runs perfectly via bootcamp.

Just have to wait and see.

Inviato Wed 17 Jun 09 @ 10:23 am
I was testing today VDj upping the refresh rate on the second display. It still flickers. But, to my surprise, I could not detect flicker running the .vobs in VLC (media player). Why could this be?

Inviato Thu 18 Jun 09 @ 7:24 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)