Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual folders are gone after upgrading to VDJ 6

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Help: My important virtual folders are gone after upgrading to VDJ 6.

Is it possible to keep them after upgrading. I see the database v5 is still intact in my external hd. Possible to convert it to v6?

Inviato Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:39 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Doesn't sound like you have run v6 with the hard drive connected?

Run the install again with everything connected ... should copy and create the v6 file just fine.

Inviato Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:56 pm
Thx!!

You just saved the weekend for me. Had to delete v6 database on ext hd before reinstalling vdj6 again, and now it's working perfect.

Thank you!

Inviato Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 9:27 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Every now and then, my MP3 (name of actual folder) shows up missing as a virtual folder.

Any reasons why?

I just drag the actual folder and life is good.

But can invoke a deep sinking feeling in the tummy just before a gig.

Inviato Tue 28 Jul 09 @ 11:56 am
Greetings,

I have experienced the same problem. Here is how to check it out....

Use an XML editor and scan the databases for your missing Virtual Folder. If it exists it will probably have a bunch of "spaces" right before it.

Delete these "spaces" to make the XML song and folder elements contigeous. Save the file back as XML and then launch VDJ.

You should have the missing VF re-appear in your list.

Good luck

JimL

Inviato Tue 28 Jul 09 @ 5:25 pm
hmm, mm...not my missing ones..gone..period. Can't figure out how it happens either.

Inviato Wed 29 Jul 09 @ 1:03 am
bryantpb wrote :
hmm, mm...not my missing ones..gone..period. Can't figure out how it happens either.

Yup, happened again today. This one was a really unacceptable situation. I lost THREE virtual folders and one took me quite some time to make (it was all songs for a wedding). Freakin' Bummah. :(

Of those three I saw one with some spaces before the heading and was able to bring it back.

For some reason, the saved xml file i had was exactly the same. I'm thinking it ruined itself upon closure and then i saved the ruined xml file. I really don't know what's going on here?

Inviato Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 1:25 am
bryantpb wrote :
bryantpb wrote :

Yup, happened again today. This one was a really unacceptable situation. I lost THREE virtual folders and one took me quite some time to make (it was all songs for a wedding). Freakin' Bummah. :(

Of those three I saw one with some spaces before the heading and was able to bring it back.

For some reason, the saved xml file i had was exactly the same. I'm thinking it ruined itself upon closure and then i saved the ruined xml file. I really don't know what's going on here?

Bryan,

Do this test.

Do your work for the next gig like adding your Virtual Folders (just a couple don't go crazy adding too much). then shut down VDJ.

Copy all your drives databases to a safe location.

Re-launch VDJ and check to see if your VFs are still there.

If NOT then minimize VDJ and open your saved databases from your backup location... and scan for a VF that is missing.

If it IS in your backup database (and check them all) then shut down VDJ and copy the current databases to a different backup location (same filename hassle prevention)...scan those databases in your XML editor for the missing VFs.

See if there is a difference. Let me know your results and we'll move on from there.

Regards,

Jim L

Inviato Fri 31 Jul 09 @ 2:19 pm
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
bryantpb wrote :
bryantpb wrote :

Bryan,

Do this test.

Do your work for the next gig like adding your Virtual Folders (just a couple don't go crazy adding too much). then shut down VDJ.
What do you mean by "adding your virtual folders"? there is NOTHING to add ; they are already there.

Copy all your drives databases to a safe location. "I do that every time I make additions to the database. Which is only on the "C" drive, no externals.

Re-launch VDJ and check to see if your VFs are still there. They are almost always there, just once in a great while, they randomly disapperar, no way to prdict, it just happens.

If NOT then minimize VDJ and open your saved databases from your backup location... and scan for a VF that is missing. If it is missing, there is nothing to scan.

If it IS in your backup database (and check them all) then shut down VDJ and copy the current databases to a different backup location (same filename hassle prevention)...scan those databases in your XML editor for the missing VFs. Did that too, they are NOT there.

See if there is a difference. Let me know your results and we'll move on from there.

Regards,

Jim L

My feeling is: The database should not be that intricate, it should NOT delete parts, keep parts, do this randomly; my other programs don't do this with there databases, EVah?

Inviato Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 12:54 am
Hey I feel the pain. But remember this VDJ is a work in progress. It would be helpful to deliver feedback to the developers with any help you can provide.

I agree the database is critical. No one wants to invest boo-koo time organizing all the music and folders then have all that work disappear. OOPs... I have to re-BPM quite a few, and tonight I did some time fixing x2 on songs down in my slow music areas to get 'em back up where they should be. And I have a lot more BPMs to re-do.

Tonight I played a few of them that I fixed. They went missing for a while. And of course I don't look in the slow jam areas for Beat It or Superfreak.

(off topic) Atomix...I see what is happening with BPMs changing. When I look at the timing boxes under the waveform view they are missing every other beat. The song seems to have a good 4/4 kick but VDJ is only picking up every other one. Thus my BPM gets cut in half.

You might tune the band pass filter a little different. Or give us a tool where we can tweak the frequency band or amplitude. (/off topic)

I'm sure we are all in agreement that the next release of VDJ should have improvements in management of the databases. I am suggesting to them to do a "pack" on the database to eliminate the "holes" in the XML code.

Nobody from Atomix has chimed in that this trouble is reproducable. I wonder how many DJs actually use the Virtual Folders. Maybe we are unique???

Regards,

Jim-e-L

Inviato Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 2:44 am
My wife lost a virtual folder right in front of her eyes last night.

1) She was doing a search in a folder. Then went to clear the search, and as it was "recursing/clearing", whatever,
the virtual folder called dance 70-80's of about 1000 dance songs of that time vanished. Pretty unnerving for her, you have to admit.

I hope this info helps.

Inviato Mon 03 Aug 09 @ 6:47 pm
dj-amadeus wrote :
Help: My important virtual folders are gone after upgrading to VDJ 6.

Is it possible to keep them after upgrading.

I'm beginning to think it is "impossible" to keep virtual folders, period! :)

Inviato Mon 03 Aug 09 @ 6:49 pm
You could also make ur v folders, then load the whole folder into the playlist and save it as a playlist that way if you lose it you can remake it. I dont understand whats goin on on your system, I never have lost a V Folder. Somethin is weird.

Inviato Mon 03 Aug 09 @ 7:32 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
You could also make ur v folders, then load the whole folder into the playlist and save it as a playlist that way if you lose it you can remake it. I dont understand whats goin on on your system, I never have lost a V Folder. Somethin is weird.

Like I have said before, it is on my wife's system as well and her backup, system, and on my backup system too.
We have laptop with internal HD, and we have laptops with extrnal HD's. All exhibit the same problem.

We have PC's with or w.o external HD's and they lose VF too.

Others have verified this too.

It is now up to the team to develop a fix not based on those that haven't seen the database integrity issue, but recognize those that have.

Inviato Wed 05 Aug 09 @ 1:53 am
discobrian24 wrote :
You could also make ur v folders, then load the whole folder into the playlist and save it as a playlist that way if you lose it you can remake it.

Good idea Disco. I'll do that.

Inviato Wed 05 Aug 09 @ 12:16 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
You could also make ur v folders, then load the whole folder into the playlist and save it as a playlist that way if you lose it you can remake it.

Good idea Disco. I'll do that.

I posted a thread in the general discussion, but regarding playlists . . how can you edit it after you create it. As in add files to them. I'm not sure if something wrong with my system, but once the playlist is created, i cannot add/drag-drop files to them. Seems immpossible to delete tracks from them too (one thought you could remove from the playlist window, but you then can't "resave" or even "save"

(I"m demo'ing VDJ right now, trying to get enough confidence to fully transfer from PCDJ FX)

Inviato Mon 10 Aug 09 @ 10:42 am
I'm demoing this softward and I just had a few Filter Folders dissappear on me. I had only a few "test" ones made up, but after launching this morning, 2 of the 4 were gone.

I'm about 8 hours (over the last week) into really testing this software . . . .I've got 13 days left on my trial and so far my warm and fuzzy is turnning into cold and jagged.

Inviato Tue 11 Aug 09 @ 10:41 am
djblakemiller wrote :
I'm demoing this softward and I just had a few Filter Folders dissappear on me. I had only a few "test" ones made up, but after launching this morning, 2 of the 4 were gone.

I'm about 8 hours (over the last week) into really testing this software . . . .I've got 13 days left on my trial and so far my warm and fuzzy is turnning into cold and jagged.

Do me a favor. make a bumch ( 7 or 8) virtual folders and see if you get any disappearing act with any of them. I would like to believe that i and you are not the only ones this happens to, and that the Dev team is working on fixing these erratic database problems. It seems to happen when other databases, such as those from other HD's plugged in maybe, run concurrently, but not sure.

have you been getting any missing bpm info on any songs after you open VDJ. Or are ALL your songs keeping all their info in tact.

I keep a column that shows bpm and length of song, when i open VDJ and go to the main music folder, then recurse, then hit the bpm column header, any songs w/o bpm's will be at the end of that listing. I almost always have a dozen or so.

How bout you?

Inviato Tue 11 Aug 09 @ 1:53 pm

Do me a favor. make a bumch ( 7 or 8) virtual folders and see if you get any disappearing act with any of them. I would like to believe that i and you are not the only ones this happens to, and that the Dev team is working on fixing these erratic database problems. It seems to happen when other databases, such as those from other HD's plugged in maybe, run concurrently, but not sure.

have you been getting any missing bpm info on any songs after you open VDJ. Or are ALL your songs keeping all their info in tact.

I keep a column that shows bpm and length of song, when i open VDJ and go to the main music folder, then recurse, then hit the bpm column header, any songs w/o bpm's will be at the end of that listing. I almost always have a dozen or so.

How bout you?
I'll definitnely be keep an eye on this stuff. I'm still trying to make the decision whether to even switch to VDJ . . . and as i've mentioned in other posts, I *have* to have some sort of folder/playlist/ system. And it certainly will not work if they're not stable and reliable.

I have not had any BPM issues, but i haven't gotten that far yet . . . still at the basics of folders/playlists/etc. (and organizing my music at the same time)

The only thing i can think of for this particular "disappearing" act is that i've been also re-organizing alot of music offline (via Explorer) I moved around probably a few thousand tracks in between launching VDJ. Maybe it threw the db for such a loop, it just decided to lose the folders. I subsequently re-imported the search db and fixed/cleaned the db (but after the dissapearing act) Nonetheless, it still has to be stable.

Oh, and I have my OS/program on C: and all of my music on G: (which is a partitioned space on same physical drive). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Inviato Tue 11 Aug 09 @ 4:26 pm

How bout you?
I'll definitnely be keep an eye on this stuff. I'm still trying to make the decision whether to even switch to VDJ . . . and as i've mentioned in other posts, I *have* to have some sort of folder/playlist/ system. And it certainly will not work if they're not stable and reliable.

I have not had any BPM issues, but i haven't gotten that far yet . . . still at the basics of folders/playlists/etc. (and organizing my music at the same time)

The only thing i can think of for this particular "disappearing" act is that i've been also re-organizing alot of music offline (via Explorer) I moved around probably a few thousand tracks in between launching VDJ. Maybe it threw the db for such a loop, it just decided to lose the folders. I subsequently re-imported the search db and fixed/cleaned the db (but after the dissapearing act) Nonetheless, it still has to be stable.

Oh, and I have my OS/program on C: and all of my music on G: (which is a partitioned space on same physical drive). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Inviato Wed 12 Aug 09 @ 3:39 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)