Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Need help regarding lighting, DMX etc.

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

iPengoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hi all!

I am in the process of setting up a bit of a home-studio-club sorta thing. It's not a huge idea because essentially it's just for houseparties but I think it's about time I got some lighting for my sets. I'm already about to purchase some monitor speakers for the job too, probably a pair of Mackie MR8's which should be plenty good enough for a houseparty (though I will kindly take your suggestions on what I should look for in terms of speakers...)

Anyway, I've been looking into lighting but there is a lot to look at and a lot to understand. First and foremost, I would like to be able to control lighting either via an independent controller, or via software on my computer (or on 2nd laptop), so that I can trigger particular lights (e.g. strobes) in time with the song. My basic understanding is that I can purchase a DMX lighting controller, but this is probably a bit excessive for what I need.

Obviously the lighting would only be for a single room in this house (and for use in the future elsewhere) and so big professional lighting is OTT but I was keen on getting the following:

1) A strobe with options for speed etc
2) Several LED colour tubes (Example: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/american_dj/LED_Color_Tube)
3) And an additional piece of lighting as yet undecided

So ultimately it is not much lighting that I want, but it will certainly make a difference to houseparties. I was hoping for some guidance on what to buy and how best to get it to work. I don't mind paying a high price for a good product but I wouldn't want to get something that can handle a much bigger venue than what I intend to use it for.

1) Which strobe lights would you recommend and why? How would I be able to control the strobe lights in time with the music? Would I need to buy a DMX controller, or could I somehow connect the strobe to software on the computer, or...what?

2) What are your thoughts on the LED colour tubes (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/american_dj/LED_Color_Tube). The description states that they come with a wireless remote to change colours. Is this something that you think would be good for my intended setup? Are there any similar products

3) What other lighting would you recommend and how could I control this lighting in time with the music...?

If you could link me to some specific products online that are suitable for my needs then that would be brilliant

I know very little about this side of DJing and would kindly appreciate your help with it all!

Greg

Inviato Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 11:26 am
Also I realise that what I'm asking for is perhaps too complicated for what it's worth.

At the very least is there any one who could advise me on what strobe lighting to go for and on the controllability of such things?

Many thanks,

Greg

Inviato Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 6:08 pm
I see you are from England. No matter, enter www.guitarcenter.com and check american dj and chauvet brands. This will make you learn. Go trough all the list, it won't take you that much. Check price and capabilities, you can order the catalog from popular (best selling) or price, etc. I recommend you LEDS. You can find LED oproducts on almost everything including strobes. LEDs don't heat up, you can use them all night and take them off and pack them and they will be cool. You don't have to replace bulbs also. Check for DMX 512 connectivity for the case you want to upgrade to it, it's not that difficult once you check tutorilas on YouTube.
Now almost all lights will dance to music,it says so in the product description. You can also buy pairs and sincronize them with an inexpensive DMX cable and the effect is magnificent. To make them dance to music you only follow simple instructions from the product manual (it's real easy).
Colour tubes, I recommend you the color strips from Chauvet they work great or the color palette. You can wash a wall, floor or make them do effects.
For the most basic set up I recommend you a pair of Chauvets Vue or a pair of American DJ REVOs. They look great and with fog you won't believe your eyes. Buy a fog machine, almost any light will make a great show with fog.
Once you know what to buy check for dealers in England.
If I could help you with something else, please let me know.

Regards. (Viva Morrissey!)

Inviato Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 8:09 pm
Many thanks for the response. This is a great help and I'll make a start on trying to find the right things.

I was also wondering what kind of DMX controller to go for. You say to look for DMX512 compatibility - but what do I use to actually allow me to control things via DMX. I realise there are physical controllers and also software. Which ones will work with American DJ and Chauvet brands of lights and how do I connect them all up? Do I just use multiple cables and connect in daisy chain?

Inviato Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 10:56 am

Inviato Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 10:59 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I would reccomend you a software and a DMX USB interface to control your DMX lights.(Second laptop is not actualy required, but it is reccomened) There are plenty in the market, check , Enttec Lightfactory, Freestyler, Dashlight..etc. You can do more things with software rather than a DMX Controller. I used to have one of them but quite soon i discovered the power of the DMX Softwares.

If you think that your skills will not help you to understand to way softwares work, go for the controller, but be sure that after a while, you will realise that the DMX software is exactly what you needed.

Let me tell you a simple example what a controller can't do and software does.......
I simply wanted my LED PAR to flash for a few msec everytime a beat was coming on and then go off until the next beat. Controllers can be triggered by music of course but there is no ability to control the duration of the flash....so no goal. Software does this in a million ways and that is just a very simple example !

Inviato Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 5:28 pm
If you plan to have 8 lights or less that chauvet works great. I have the Chauvet Obey 40 and I'm very pleased with it. You connect them with DMX cables or XLR (mic cable). Some people argue that mic cables won't do it and will loose signal. I have not experienced such problems. But if you can find DMX cables buy them. They are not expensive. DMX 512 is the languaje of the ligths or protocol. So anything DMX is DMX 512. 512 means the lines of addressing signals from the lights. There are lights that use 2,4,8,16, etc channels. Don't worry about it. It will come to you when you learn DMX. I think the Obey 10 will be enough for you. If you are worried about needing more. lights buy the Obey 40 is very inexpensive.
The way you connect them is a cable from the controller to the first light, from that light to the next and so on, in the last light you put a DMX terminator or something like that, it cots like 7.99 USD. To learn more aobut DMX please check YouTube tutorials, they are very clear. To assign the adress to each light you move pins in the back of the light or with a panel in the back and arrows, also explained in the manual of the lights. You will need to have the controller to learn more, but you need pacience and time. Once you learn the basics and make your first show you will see that it's easy and only require that you experiment with them. The only way to learn more is once you have some equipment, only buy lights DMX 512 capable so you are ready for the future. If I can give you an opinion on a fog machine or light, I'll be glado to do so.

Enjoy.

PD. Look for a dealer in your country, plan a visit and ask them to show you the lights, whatever they have, look at the back of the light, check the connections, etc. Don't be afraid to ask the dealer whatever you need to. Don't buy what he tells you to buy, take notes, tell him you will think about it and check for reviews on the internet to see if the light or machine is good and the price is right. This is very important so you will invest on the right equipment. Look in youtube for the lights, there are lots of videos showing the lights working or even in a video review. This is the only way to learn. Think about space and that you will be carrying and installing them. And last, buy LEDS, if you buy light that are not energy efficent you will blow the fuse of the house or the place where you are partying/DJing if it don't have a good electric circuitry. LEDS are almost disaster proof.

Inviato Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 5:44 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)