Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ Midi Controlling

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

jammy11Home userMember since 2009
Hey Guys,

I want to use my mixer as a midi controller fir VDJ. The mixer is a pioneer DJM800 so it has midi capabilities. I also have a midi convertor lead that runs from the mixer to the laptop. Do I have what I need to assign the eq's etc. on VDJ to my mixer? If so does anyone know how I this is done. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks a lot

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 4:20 am
There's absolutely no sense at all to MIDI-map the EQ's of your DJM-800. On analogue mode they are both more accurate and better sounding.

However, what does make sense is mapping the unnecessary buttons, such as the fader start buttons to do something usefull...such as browse the playlist, start/stop, whatever - up to you.

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 5:18 am
Thanks, im not sure I understand though. Basically I would much rather control the eq's on my mixer instead of the laptop. Instead of having to use the mouse to adjust the eq's on the VDJ sofwtare I could just use the eq knobs on the mixer, are you saying that you dont think this is a good idea? Thanks again.

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 6:33 am
Nope, that's not what I mean. What I mean is that there are two ways to use the EQ-knobs of your mixer:

1) Use them as real EQ, i.e. to control the analogue audio signal that is coming from your sound card. This is exactly the same as you would have a pair of turntables or CD-decks connected to your mixer.

2) Use them to send MIDI control signal to remote the control the EQ of the software (=VDJ).

For the reasons I mentioned before, option 2 is a bad idea. What I'm trying to say here, is that if you just want to use the EQ's and faders of your mixers just like you would do with a pair of decks, you don't even need MIDI. Just plug in the outputs of your sound card to the inputs of your mixers.

That being said, this doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't use MIDI at all. It's better to use EQs and faders normally (=analogue signal processing), but use MIDI to map unused mixer buttons to perform tasks like playlist browsing, play/pause, etc. etc.

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 8:49 am
Yes option 1 is what im looking for so I dont need midi so. I just want to use eq knobs and faders on my mixer. So you say what I need to do is plug the outputs of my sound card to the inputs of my mixer.
Do I need an external soundcard for this? I have a dell xps laptop so I dont know if I can use the soundcard on this? Also, what leads would you use, just the normal red/white phono to phono leads? I apprecaite your help, im new to all this and am just trying to get my head around it, thanks.

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 9:13 am
How come when I looked at this topic from the general forum it says there was a new message from devasty1 but when you click into it there isn't a new message?

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 10:27 am
Because he posted off-topic with nothing related to your original request. The thread was moderated to avoid confusion.

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 10:34 am
Yeah exactly, you need an external USB or Firewire sound card. There are dozens of makes and models to choose from, but the most essential requirement is that is has two stereo output-channels. Usually these sound card have either RCA-connectors like in the ESI Maya 44 that many people use, or balanced 1/4" jacks like the Edirol FA-66 that I use myself.

Many external sound cards also have a MIDI-connector, so you can also connect your DJM-800 if you want to map some buttons in your mixer.

Inviato Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 1:33 pm
Thanks a lot for the help

Inviato Wed 07 Oct 09 @ 6:18 am
No problem. Remember to register your software so you can get the latests updates and extras.

Inviato Thu 08 Oct 09 @ 7:32 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)