Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ALL MOBILE DJS/VJS CHECK THE OOVJ LAPTOP (coming winter 2009) - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Inviato Tue 27 Oct 09 @ 3:21 pm
Some of us remember the PCDJ 00DJ laptop to which this is the successor.

My DJ friend had one, and he sent it back so many times he lost count. It was extremely expensive, not very high spec and nothing but trouble.

I'm not sure there's a need for a "custom" solution these days with so many good top end laptops available. Some of the Sony ones are pretty awesome and there's always the MacBook Pro 17" which will probably still be cheaper than this.

Saying that, if I was a serious VJ I wouldn't use a laptop at all.

Not for me thanks!

•17" fully daylight readable touch screen

•Screen can be angled in any position, laptop style

•Completely sealed liquid proof keyboard, gamepad style mouse control built in

•Wi-Fi wireless networking

•Gigabit network socket, 3 x USB 2.0 sockets, firewire socket, DVI, SVHS and Composite video out

•M-Audio Delta sound card, 3 x stereo out, 2 x stereo in, midi clock in/out, digital audio in/out

•3.5mm headphone socket for casual listening, setting up playlists and so on without hooking up a PA system

•Custom designed all aluminium casing, anodised finish in gunmetal grey

•Any capacity internal 3.5" hard drive possible, standard size will be 1Tb as a minimum

•Internal slot loading dual layer DVDRW optical drive

•Industrial motherboard

•Intel 2 Ghz core 2 duo processor

•2Gb matched pair RAM (Can take 4Gb but no point on this optimised system)

•XP, Vista and Windows 7 all tested and compatible

•All DJ software known tested and compatible

•The OODJ and 00VJ are made by Computer DJ Ltd, not PCDJ.

•We can supply any DJ software with the OOVJ not just PCDJ products

Inviato Tue 27 Oct 09 @ 3:40 pm
Computer DJ Ltd, are they based in Hull?

Inviato Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 6:40 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
does it run osx?

Inviato Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 11:35 am
I would guess because it's not made by Apple it will be windows only.

Inviato Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 3:14 pm
Quote :
•2Gb matched pair RAM (Can take 4Gb but no point on this optimised system)
Love this one.. it shows how ignorant these guys are

Inviato Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 5:16 pm
Yip, I laughed at that too, a decent video megamix can easy run away with a fair bit of RAM and I would guess both Vista and 7 would need 1gb just to start with!

Inviato Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 5:21 pm
Hi Guys,

I saw this post and thought I should sign up. I'm in charge of the development of new products at ComputerDJ - for those of you who are unaware, this includes the OOVJ.

If you have any comments or questions about the OOVJ, direct them towards me.

@kradcliffe - I can't really comment on the reliability of a single user's machine, but I can say we have plenty of happy OODJ users.

The system will sell with 2GB RAM, it doesn't need any more. Unlike many other OEMs, we don't load the system with resource intensive applications. The things we do preinstall are all relevant to our user's interests;
Microsoft Windows 7 Business (Microsoft Windows Vista Business, Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Linux available on request)
Microsoft Live Security Essentials (scheduler disabled, so a scan won't kick in during a gig)
dBpoweramp Reference (for CD ripping, format conversion, META tagging, etc)
HandBrake (for DVD ripping, format conversion)
Microsoft Office Readers (for looking at songbooks, showing presentation files, etc)
Adobe Reader (for looking at software manuals, updater disabled, so it won't nag you during a gig)
Adobe Flash/Shockwave (updater disabled, so it won't nag you during a gig)
Sun Java (updater disabled, so it won't nag you during a gig)

Each system ships with the latest run of approved Windows Updates preinstalled (we check each update that is released for compatibility with a range of popular applications), and if a customer provides us with the licences for their software (or they buy it from us), we will preinstall, configure and test their software, as well as installing drivers and maps for any controllers they may wish to use.

New to the OOVJ, the unit also has a built in Compact Flash card which holds a complete backup of the OS and preinstalled software (including DJ software if we preinstalled that for a user). If a user installs an update/patch/program that starts to interfere with the system, they can recover the system back to the defaults we set when we shipped the system. This recovery has two modes;
Standard - the OS and any preinstalled packages are reinstalled, but the user's files (music, video, etc) are not touched.
Destructive - the system is nuked and everything is automatically reinstalled, the user will need to copy their music and video back to their system from a backup (you took a backup, right?)
The whole process in both of these cases takes around 15 minutes, and you don't have to enter any licence codes.

In response to another question, the system *can* run MacOS X, however, we aren't allowed to sell the system with MacOS preinstalled. We aren't allowed to tell users how to install the software themselves either. Apple have very strict rules about the hardware that their operating systems are installed on.
It's quite a complicated process to get MacOS installed, but it is possible.

We do think there is a need for a customised computer solution, especially for 'mobile' DJs - be it doing weddings and functions, or playing a different club every night.
Show me a laptop that can have 2TB of built in storage, has a built in multi-channel (in and out) sound card capable of 24/96, has built in 'self-healing' functions like the CF card backup and that can withstand the knocks and bangs of working on the road;
You'd need to have external hard drives (probably with their own power supplies), an external sound card (with it's own power supply), and you'd have to carry the recovery disc and a set of backup DVDs in case you had to restore your system just before a gig. Plus a flight case to carry it all in.

I know the product we have designed might not be for everyone, but it will make life easier for the people who do choose to go down this route.... Plug the OOVJ into the mains, connect up the audio, connect up the video (if you're using it) and start your gig.

Like I say, if anyone has any questions ask away.

Adam.

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 8:10 am
Are you based in Hull?

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 9:29 am
Yes, we are :)

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 1:07 pm
Thanks for popping in to the forum Adam, it's always encouraging when the actual people developing the hardware are here to support potential customers.

As per my post above, I can only comment from the experiences of one of my colleagues, but there's a bad apple in every basket and his 00dj may have been that one!

Do you have pricing yet?, I seem to remember the 00dj was quite expensive, and it's a while since that came out and many high-end laptops will possibly achieve similar results to your new model for less money.

I agree there is a market for custom solutions, but it needs to be the right product at the right price. Good luck!

Keith

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 1:14 pm
Hi Keith,

Yeah, like I say we have a lot of happy customers with the OODJ - we always do our best to get problems a user may come accross fixed.

We don't have any definate pricing yet, though I imagine the initial batch of machines will be selling for around £3k depending on what the individual user wants.
Hopefully global exchange rates will slowly go back to where they were, and we'll be able to drop our prices eventually.

Yes, as far as raw computing performance goes there probably are a few midrange and upwards laptops that can match our product - it's unlikely that we'll see laptops with similar internal disc space or sound cards for a while, if ever. I also believe that many laptops aren't as robust as they need to be for life on the road. I found that out the hard way with my old VAIO :(

I do hope that people consider the price (which we are forced to sell at to make any profit) worthwhile for the convenience the product will give them.

Thanks for your kind words, and I welcome any further comments or questions :)

Adam.

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 8:51 am
wow 5k

you could have a few mbp's for that.

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 9:46 am
Don't know any other way to put this. The specs are alright and everything, but does it have to be such an ugly box? :\

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 9:46 am
The Macs are nice, but even with the Mac Pro laptops, you're still lacking in storage space, sound quality and the amount of inputs and outputs.

When I'm allowed to, I'll post up some better pics of the unit. :)

EDIT: 5k? We talking USD?

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 10:30 am
Yeah, rough translation from the pound. DJ Cyder is in the USA

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 11:07 am
well i'm currently uaing a dell inspiron, and been looking at the studio 17 for 2 reasons, like my inspiron 17 it takes 2 hard drives giving upto 1tb storage (and betond if they develop a 1tb laptop drive thats 9.5mm thick) it also has backlit keyboard all for less than £800 then i just plug in my gigaport and i'm good to go less than £1000 in total, personally i can't see the point in paying 3k for a unit that is in all terms going to be out of date very quickly like all laptops

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 11:46 am
A 17" Mac Pro with a compact external HDD and a good sound card would cost far less than 3k

However, the 00vj does do away with the need for external HDD and sound card. The touch screen can be handy but I've used various touchscreen devices in the past and only certain basic functions can be done by touch. Pitch bend etc. is no use without a mouse or controller.

It is a niche product, but a Mac Pro or top end Sony with the accessories would cost far less.

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 12:34 pm
Mpb 17 can use the larger format drives up to 750 right now 1 tb before long.

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 1:17 pm
You could fit a 1TB drive to one now if you've brave enough to open it up, but it won't be fast; the drive is only 5200RPM and has a fairly poor seek time (12ms if I remember correctly). I think the 750GB drives are likely to be the same specification.

Inviato Fri 13 Nov 09 @ 3:19 am
59%