Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Database location for 6.0.3

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

DJ TT2PRO InfinityMember since 2009
new user here from PCDJVJ - Not liking that my database isnt stored on my external USB drive so I ask....and I hope this is not a stupid question -

How can I change the location of the database? On the browser tab the drop down does NOT list my external drive as a choice.

Here is my config -
HP 8530 laptop running Windows 7 - just got it today
external Seagate USB drive

So I am making some giant steps here but my old laptop is still working with PCDJ so I can fall back if this does not work.... :-)

Thanks!

Inviato Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 5:26 pm
In the File Tree in VDJ, locate the folders of the drive that you want to use and right click on them "Add to Database". This will build the database on the External as well as make one in My Documents/Virtualdj.

Inviato Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 11:22 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
In the File Tree in VDJ, locate the folders of the drive that you want to use and right click on them "Add to Database". This will build the database on the External as well as make one in My Documents/Virtualdj.

That is how I added the music from the USB drive to the database that resides on C right now.

I sure hope I did NOT have to have the USB drive connected to laptop when I installed VDJ....

Inviato Wed 18 Nov 09 @ 7:18 am
Come on guys, am I the only one in here that wants to store the database on the USB drive? That is how 5.2 was....why can't I get the new version to store it in the same place?

Inviato Wed 18 Nov 09 @ 8:04 pm
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009

Inviato Wed 18 Nov 09 @ 8:23 pm
DJ TT2 wrote :
Come on guys, am I the only one in here that wants to store the database on the USB drive? That is how 5.2 was....why can't I get the new version to store it in the same place?

As far as I understand this hasnt changed..
the Database is still stored on the drive where your music is.. or at least it is on mine?

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 2:17 pm
hippydog wrote :
DJ TT2 wrote :

As far as I understand this hasnt changed..
the Database is still stored on the drive where your music is.. or at least it is on mine?

Well I am running the new version of VDJ 6.0.3 and my the database is stored on c:, it wont even give me the option to store it on the USB drive.

When I was using PCDJ VJ version 5.2 it was stored on the drive where the music was like you talk about......wish it still was that way because that way if the laptop fails I can use another laptop without have the Recurse or add the database.

I would like to know why they thought C would be better cause I dont see the advantage.....

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 2:31 pm
New discovery just now!

The external USB drive I am using is a non-powered USB drive. I connected a powered USB drive to the same laptop and it see that drive and stores the database on the USB drive.

Any suggestions on how to get VDJ to see a non-powered USB drive? It plays music from the drive but does not see in on the Browser tab inside VDJ config.

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 3:10 pm
DJ TT2 wrote :
New discovery just now!

The external USB drive I am using is a non-powered USB drive. I connected a powered USB drive to the same laptop and it see that drive and stores the database on the USB drive.

Any suggestions on how to get VDJ to see a non-powered USB drive? It plays music from the drive but does not see in on the Browser tab inside VDJ config.

This sounds more like a windows OS issue, then a VDJ problem.. (VDJ has no idea what kind of drive is connected.. I've seen it put the database on my thumbdrives)

connect your "non-powered USB drive" back up to the laptop.. open VDJ..
IN VDJ double click "my computer"
you should see all your hard drives.
is your USB drive listed there?

if so double click on it and drill down to one of your music folders on that drive..
right click on that folder and add it to "my favorites monitored folder" yada yada

that folder should now show up in your favorite folder list..

right click that folder and "add to search DB"

done..

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 4:22 pm
hippydog wrote :
DJ TT2 wrote :
New discovery just now!

This sounds more like a windows OS issue, then a VDJ problem.. (VDJ has no idea what kind of drive is connected.. I've seen it put the database on my thumbdrives)

connect your "non-powered USB drive" back up to the laptop.. open VDJ..
IN VDJ double click "my computer"
you should see all your hard drives.
is your USB drive listed there?

if so double click on it and drill down to one of your music folders on that drive..
right click on that folder and add it to "my favorites monitored folder" yada yada

done..

I can see the drive in the folders list, I can do EVERYTHING you suggest but it still stores the database on C....
I can play music from the drive, it acts normal but just cannot see the drive in the drop down on the Browser Tab in CONFIG inside VDJ.

BUT I can see a powered drive inside VDJ in CONFIG.

(And I am not hollering when I capitalize, I am just trying to make it easier to read. :) )

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 4:36 pm
DJ TT2 wrote :

I can see the drive in the folders list, I can do EVERYTHING you suggest but it still stores the database on C....
I can play music from the drive,

1.) keep in mind, I'm not a "TEAMER", teamer's are a lot nicer then me..
2.) what is the drive letter of your non-powered USB drive (I just want to know so I can stop calling it your "non-powered USB drive")

3.) before we go any farther.. did you ACTUALLY go thru the steps I described?

hippydog wrote :

4.) what folder did you choose? (what was its name)

5.) where else on your computer is there music? do you also have some stored on the 'C' drive? (I need to know this for the next step.)

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 4:52 pm
hippydog wrote :
DJ TT2 wrote :

I can play music from the drive,

1.) keep in mind, I'm not a "TEAMER", teamer's are a lot nicer then me..
2.) what is the drive letter of your non-powered USB drive (I just want to know so I can stop calling it your "non-powered USB drive")

3.) before we go any farther.. did you ACTUALLY go thru the steps I described?

hippydog wrote :

4.) what folder did you choose? (what was its name)

5.) where else on your computer is there music? do you also have some stored on the 'C' drive? (I need to know this for the next step.)

The drive is letter G:
I did everything you asked in the previous reply.
I added G as a favorite
I then added folder BMG for the database
then I browsed out to the drive to see if the database file was there, it was not.
I deleted all database files and did it all again thinking that since the database file was already on C that was defaulting there
again the database was stored on C:
there is NO music on C, I keep everything on G:

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 09 @ 6:20 pm
OK I did some experimenting..

first I created a fake .mp3 file called "Find Me - Test.mp3"
so I could find it in the xml files quickly..

I have a bunch of external drives on my computer.. including a media reader that creates 4 extra drives..

I moved the test .mp3 to my music hardrive (on my computer it is the F: drive)
I played the song in VDJ (which scans it) and then checked the local .xml file on the F: drive
yup.. it was there..

I then inserted an empty Flash card in my media reader.. (this comes up as Removable Disk H:)
using VDJ I copied the "find me- test.mp3" to the flash card..
the song showed up in VDJ..
but wait!
WTF??? NO LOCAL DATABASE WAS CREATED!
I then checked the local database on the C: drive..
the song was placed there! weird..

soooo..
I then connected my thumbdrive (which is named "Golfthumb L:")
I deleted any .XML files from it (as I have used it to move music before)
and once again using VDJ I copied the "find me- test.mp3" to the thumb drive L:
I then (using explorer) checked what was on it..
"VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml" WAS PLACED ON THE DRIVE!!

WTF?
why did it place the local database on my thumbdrive but NOT the flashcard????

Looking at the two, the only major difference between them (as far as windows is concerned) is one has a name and the other doesnt..
(and the thumbdrive has two 'windows files on it, Autorun.inf & Desktop.ini)

soooo...
I tried to give a name to the flashcard (H: drive)..
weird.. it would not let me..
I pulled the flashcard back out.. then re-inserted it..
now it let me rename it.. I named it "Flash"

once again...
I opened up VDJ.. in my computer VDJ now listed the drive as "Flash (H:)"
I then (again) copied the test.mp3 file to a folder on the flash card..
and guess what?
looking at the card (using explorer) VDJ NOW CREATED A LOCAL DATABASE XML FILE..

WOOHOO!!

Inviato Sat 21 Nov 09 @ 3:21 pm
I will check that out and let you know how it goes.

I do have a name on G: already....it is named Primary 640 but I am at work right now so will have to test this later.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 09 @ 10:56 am
hippydog wrote :
OK I did some experimenting..
once again...
I opened up VDJ.. in my computer VDJ now listed the drive as "Flash (H:)"
I then (again) copied the test.mp3 file to a folder on the flash card..
and guess what?
looking at the card (using explorer) VDJ NOW CREATED A LOCAL DATABASE XML FILE..

WOOHOO!!

OK update here - the latest test - I already had the drive named, I even changed the name of it. I still cannot get the db on the drive. I DID notice that this particular drive is formatted NTFS as opposed to FAT32....do you suppose that has anything to do with it. It would have came that way out of the box because I opened it and stated using it right away....BUT when I did that I was using the older version of VDJ 5.2.

I am so ticked right now.....BUT I do have two of these drives and I am willing to reformat one of them to FAT32 if you think that has anything to do with it.

And THANKS for all that you have done so far in helping me figure this out.....kinda wish we could chat live but I think you live in Canada, right?

Inviato Wed 25 Nov 09 @ 2:57 pm
DJ TT2 wrote :
I DID notice that this particular drive is formatted NTFS as opposed to FAT32....do you suppose that has anything to do with it.

it shouldnt.. both of my terabyte drives are NTFS where as my thumbdrive and flash card are FAT32..

right now my 'spidey sense' is sticking with the fact that my flash card did not 'recieve' a local database at the first try..
it was like Windows just saw it as a generic drive..
and maybe? VDJ will not 'add' a local database to any drive it thinks it cant tell the difference with the next time its connected..

this is all theory... but I keep thinking this has something to do with your G: drive being correctly recongnized by VDJ (via windows)

another thing I was going to have you try is putting Autorun.inf & Desktop.ini on your non-powered hard drive.. and then customize them..
this way it forces Windows to see the drive as something different..

when I get a chance I will post a copy of what I did with mine..

Inviato Wed 25 Nov 09 @ 3:51 pm
hippydog wrote :

Thanks man, I am looking forward to it.

Inviato Sat 28 Nov 09 @ 8:01 am
DJ TT2 wrote :
hippydog wrote :

Thanks man, I am looking forward to it.

Would really like to get this resolved.....any ideas?

Inviato Sun 06 Dec 09 @ 3:24 pm
Ok. I thought maybe the Desktop.ini might have something that helps.. but I just looked at it (the one on my thumbdrive), and its blank.
the only thing left I can think of for you to try is add a blank "Desktop.ini" and "Autorun.inf" to your drive..

and maybe add a blank VDJ database "VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<VirtualDJ_Database Version="602">

</VirtualDJ_Database>

Also try using windows to "safely remove hardware" and then attach your hardrive to a different USB port..

thats it.. thats all I can think of.. sorry :-(

Inviato Sun 06 Dec 09 @ 4:00 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)