Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Need help building up library

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Djing, and just bought my first equipment. While I'm a bedroom dj for now, I really want to get out doing gigs and what not. To get to the point...I found my music library is awful for djing. I really like house (esp. electrohouse) and need help getting songs. Could you guys post song ideas/sites froom which i could download? Is one site better than another?

Thanks

Inviato Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 7:03 pm
There are many sites to download house music! The most popular (and most expensive site) is www.beatport.com. They have a huge selection, the site is easy to use, and you can get your songs in mp3 or wav format. The only problem is, they're 50-100% more expensive than the other sites! I like www.masterbeat.com, and www.djdownload.com. I'm sure there are others, but when looking for house music, more than likely one of those three websites will have it. However, I will only go to Beatport as a last resort because of the price.

Secondly, remember... building a library takes some time! Of course, you could spend hundreds of dollars right off the bat and build a library, but the normal DJ doesn't have that kind of money, especially right after buying his or her first set of gear. So be patient and really start digging through tracks! I also love electro house, so I know when you preview a song, how it can make you move right in your seat with a bouncy beat and electric basslines and vocs! You'll find those, too, and you'll just have to have them! Have fun with it and be patient! Good luck!

DJ Michael Clarke

Inviato Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 8:29 pm
hey guys Im also a newie , been dabling off and on with djing for a while and now want to take it a little more serious ..I have the basic gear but not enough music ..is there a way to get a good music library already put together ? I realize its better to put your own together but that takes a lot of time ..any suggestions
Thanks
Peter

Inviato Mon 07 Dec 09 @ 5:43 pm
djpeterangel wrote :
hey guys Im also a newie , been dabling off and on with djing for a while and now want to take it a little more serious ..I have the basic gear but not enough music ..is there a way to get a good music library already put together ? I realize its better to put your own together but that takes a lot of time ..any suggestions
Thanks
Peter

IMHO there is now excuse to building your own library. Relying on a hard drive full of MP3's and just searching for tracks when people make requests simply isn't good enough...

A lot of time needs to be spent listening to the music, sorting out your playlist for the event. After a while this will become second nature and you will find your own method of categorising your tunes, by genre, by style, etc. etc.

Are you simply going to fade or are you going to mix? Mixing requires some knowledge of the tracks themselves, where to put the cue points for mixing and for loops, trying out mixes (in advance) to see whether they work or not.

You can't shortcut this process. A lot of it you can do on the job, the rest will require putting your own time in.

When most people book a DJ for 4 hours, they seem to think that they are only paying for those 4 hours. What about:
The setup/take down time?
The buying of the music (and the hardware)?
The organising of the playlist which is done before you show up?
The practice you put in at home to make sure your show is on top form?

You can wing it, but if you want repeat bookings, put the time and effort in first...

Cheers,

Roy

Inviato Wed 09 Dec 09 @ 10:12 am
I f your looking for House, start with Deadmau5!!! load of songs many great!!!!

Inviato Thu 11 Mar 10 @ 8:43 pm
Like everyone else has stated...If you want a good solid collection, it will take time. When you hear another DJ playing a song you like, don't be afraid to ask the name. Your music collection must reflect you and your style. If you wanted to be a Top 40 DJ, it would be easy. House DJs must build around their personality. A DJ is not the music. Your style is what will make you a success. The way you put the songs together and use different effects will be the defining factor.

I think all of the big sites have been mentioned. If you are planning to take this seriously, look into a pool too. One that I haven't seen anyone mention on here is SURE (www.SURERecordPool.com). I think I get about 200+ songs per week from them. You'll get a lot of stuff you can use and a lot of stuff you can't use. They are primarily an urban pool so you won't see any Country, Heavy Metal, Rock, etc. I don't know if they service DJs outside of the US. You will have to ask.

Inviato Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 9:14 am
rikii90PRO InfinityMember since 2010
check some songs on itunes, or better yet listen to some songs from the Billboard charts! watch some videos from youtube for electro and house and you should be good.

Inviato Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 8:56 am
dempagPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Your post said that while you "like" House music I am assuming that you would do a any type of gig? I mean, you have to start making money and won't be making it by staying a bedroom dj.

That being said, yes, it does take awhile to build a good library...even more so depending on the genre and developing your own style, finding out what works for you and what doesn't. BUT...the focus point here is getting you enough music to start working.

If you don't have 100's of dollars to spend upfront, there is an alternative that I also use...Zune. For $15/month, you can download and use unlimited songs. The point is that by doing that, you can get out there and make money. Doesn't have to be a house gig, but it would be a gig. Every month you also get 10 free songs which you then own. It adds up. I have known many Djs who have done this and have massive libraries. Slowly but surely they are building their own wihtout needing Zune.

Just an idea from somone who remembers what it was like starting out...I borrowed Cd's from every person I knew just so I could go do gigs. Heck, I remember trying desperately to cue up tapes fast enough, haha.

Good luck to ya!

Inviato Thu 25 Mar 10 @ 7:44 am
dojenPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I do not know where you're from. I live in Texas in DfW area and we have a Half Price Bookstore here. They have a massive collections of discounted Vinyls and CDs. For example I bought 20 Full Cds for about 25 dollars and yes they are in good condition and different genres. I bought one vinyl for about $3.50 to use on my turntable for just scratching. If I were you, check your community for such a store and might as well check your neighboring towns also. If you find one, great because you can definitely start a music library from getting them from discounted stores. Hope this helps.

Inviato Mon 27 Sep 10 @ 3:18 pm
I am on several website including purchasing from iTunes. I have built up a library of 5000 songs within 3 months. Look everywhere. Run stuff through google or yahoo & links will show you the way. Put in the groups you like & look at top music lists.

Inviato Fri 01 Oct 10 @ 3:29 pm
i think i like it by fake blood
basshunter
boys noise
the bloody beetroots
deadmou5
diplo

Inviato Sun 10 Oct 10 @ 11:35 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)