Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: The Dubstep Mixing Tips Thread - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

MoultzLE userMember since 2010
So how many of you out there are into the whole Dubstep genre and in particular into mixing it? I have focused myself on just Dubstep (probably a bad thing) but it's a genre I have fell in love with. I have seen many top producers live including Skream, Jakwob, Doctor P, Flux Pavilion, Nero and Magnetic Man.

I had a fun time mixing on just my laptop for about 3 months whilst at Uni and for christmas 2010 i received a Numark Mixtrack Pro and am getting used to the whole hands-on approach to mixing. This is completely new to me and i feel i've kinda gone back a step but im hoping it will be one of those.. 1 step back and 2 forward kinda things when i get used to it properly!

I guess this can be a place for us dubsteppers to give hints, advice and tips! I know i'd love some general tips from those who are at a quality level!

Cheers

Inviato Mon 03 Jan 11 @ 11:23 am
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I LOVE DUBSTEP!!!
Not the easiest thing to "conventianally" mix but when done well its AMAZING!!!

Glad theres another Steppa on the forum... Theres a few ov us out there.

Check out my soundcloud page "Genedefekt23" as i've posted a few DS mixes on there. If you like you could get a basic (free) Soundcloud page and post a couple ov hours worth ov your mixes on there for feedback...

Take care babes.

Keep on Steppin.

Seana
XXX

ps i've friended you so we can swap mixes and i'll send you a few VDJ Steppas names.

Inviato Mon 03 Jan 11 @ 7:46 pm
Hey man

I completely agree, Dubstep is a fun genre to mix, and just a fun genre in general. It promotes having fun and going wild at the beat drops, and that's what I love about it.

One thing I would have to say about mixing dubstep is that you should always come in and go out on big drops. and by coming in and going out, I mean very drastic changes using either the cross fader or bass EQ knobs. Dubstep differs way too much from song to song for you to attempt to blend tracks into one another successfully, like you would with house music.

For example, cue up a song on the first beat of a phrase, loop that beat in your headphones, and listen to when the track you're playing hits the end of a verse or chorus, then either slam in the next track with the crossfader or slowly build the bass of the cue'd track into beat drop about to happen on the track that you are playing.

Inviato Tue 04 Jan 11 @ 6:34 am
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
xwgpx55 wrote :

For example, cue up a song on the first beat of a phrase, loop that beat in your headphones, and listen to when the track you're playing hits the end of a verse or chorus, then either slam in the next track with the crossfader or slowly build the bass of the cue'd track into beat drop about to happen on the track that you are playing.

...You should listen to this guy... he seems to know what he's talking about...

KEEP IT WOBBLY...

Seana
XXX

Inviato Thu 06 Jan 11 @ 7:12 am

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 11:48 am
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
lol, the best tip i can offer when mixing dubstep, has got to be "take paracetamol 30 mins before hand" lol

seriously, it just sounds like noise to me lol maybe ill come to appreciate it one day..but for noy ill stick with my headache pills.

Hi seana, (waves) :D

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 3:59 pm
Hehehe Blulite,

I actually love dubstep (and older than you ;p), but you need to be pretty much in the mood for that and.. LOUD.. gosh I love it when that bass and synth tears through your body.

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 4:07 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
yeah thats true, i have listened to it a few times and found it ok, but as you say you have to be in the mood.

its ever so much like thrash metal.

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 11 @ 8:58 pm
@kirill69

Nice mix, like the choosen tracks. On improvement, most of the time you make the transition in the 'quiet' moment of the record, thats very safe and well performed, but taking some more risk can be great fun with dubstep.

Did some dubstep mixes you might wanna give a listen, my first one, with very safe transitions, most as earlier said in this thread slammed in with the crossfader: http://i.mixcloud.com/C07uh

The second is riskier transitionwise but also more exiting (and much darker and psy): http://i.mixcloud.com/C3ov9

Inviato Fri 24 Jun 11 @ 11:03 am

Inviato Sun 26 Jun 11 @ 3:53 pm
@Shortys99887, safe and clean as I can quickly hear it. But do yourself and the listener a favour and get a mixcloud account. You can put your tracklist in your mix and timecode it, easy for people to listen your tracks.

Inviato Sun 26 Jun 11 @ 4:09 pm
@jboerlage, thanks! will do

Inviato Sun 26 Jun 11 @ 5:43 pm
KefkaHome userMember since 2011
@Moultz
I felt the same way when switching over to my first controller, but its definitely 1 step back, 2 steps forward. With any new controller or hardware there's gonna be a learning curve, but once u get used to it and feel comfortable with it, it opens the door to bein able to do so many more things in a much smaller window of time, things that would not have been possible with a mouse and keyboard, or at the very least much more difficult and probably wouldn't turn out as smooth.

Inviato Sun 26 Jun 11 @ 7:30 pm

Inviato Mon 18 Jul 11 @ 1:29 am
@Moultz
wats happening peeps, i'm a newbie on diss forum yo... but i'm also DUB MENTAL fo sho!!!!!

got a mixtrack pro too... dub unfortunately is one of da harder genres to mix it up due to the changing tempos, mad bass lines etc etc... embrace the crazyness ;)

so this is what I do:

You gotta know your tracks backwards mate, cereal. I work usually with 2-3 tracks that can be beat matched where the ones bass line doesn't contradict the other, or where that's a mission (often is ;), where the second track can be dropped as the first ends a phase (usually after a 16 or 32 beat). The tracks gotta be complementary, keep the flow going.

Or if there is a lil 2 beat break before track 1 drops again, that's where you can allow the second tracks drum line to take control before da bass hook kicks i.e cut the bass of track one, bring in the bass of track 2, volume of track 1 at +-70% (feel it yo), vol track 2 full, done all in a second haha. unless you scratch, forget about the crossfader, use only the EQ's and vol cntrl.

Lastly you will find that the first 60secs and last 60secs (roughly, don't quote me ;) of the tracks are usually made for mixin, ( electronic producers make their tracks to be played live) so use those sections..

dunno if that makes sense haha

GOOD LUCK!!!

Inviato Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 6:33 am
Jord0Home userMember since 2011
Hey guys! Ive been listening to Dubstep for sometime now, and i just recently started mixing dubstep and doing live podcasts. I use the IDJ3 but i really want to upgrade to vinyl turntables sooon :) im really into the more classic, reggae dub vibes, and classic UK dubstep like Digital Mystikz and distance, the majority of my dubstep collection is either in lossless quality or vinyl rips. I think one of the most important aspects to mixing dubstep, and especially the older more melodic dub is Harmonic Mixing. Mixing the tracks Harmonically, which means, matchimg the key of the song with the track your bringing in will make your mix sound soo sexy, everything will feel like it was made to go together.

Heres the link for more info, id recommend downloading that chart and using it as a refrence while coming up with your tracklist.
http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/

Anyways, just wanted to say im glad to see more people under the dub trance :p definitly my favourite of all the electronic genres and a fuckin blast to smoke a fatty and mix up some dirty basslines :p

Ps. Have aloooot of rare vinyl rips, if any of you audiophiles wanna bolster your dunstep collection, hit me up :) i most likely have what your looking for/ or can get it :p

Inviato Thu 21 Jul 11 @ 5:07 pm
lcmxr6PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Whats up everyone? Couldn't help but notice the thread. Dubstep has taken over my life ahhHh!! lol. Anyways here is a 20 min mix I entered into a competition to open for Excision and Dieselboy in my hometown of Columbia Mo. Lots of Dubby Goodness!
http://soundcloud.com/lofosho/cdc-excision-competition-20
Tracklist
1. Funk Soul - DeathStar
2. Da Cali Anthem - Rusko
3. Bass Goblins - Dr. Knobz
4. TALON37 - Bare
5. King Kong - Bare & Datsik
6. Indica Sativa - Bare Ft. Proe
7. Crazy Train - Ben Samples Remix
8. Egyptian Horns - Ed Solo
9. Street Fighter - Mikey B Ft. Datsik
10. Lost Woods - Ephixa
11. Modstep - Hulk
12. Kenny Powers - Kthulhu
13. Wicked Games - SPL Remix
14. Louder - Flux & Dr. P
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136523426425155

Inviato Fri 22 Jul 11 @ 4:21 pm
hi guys, im recently into dubstep and wanna learn how to mix my own, im extremely new to dj-ing and all, can anyone help me out? much help is appreciated! :D

Inviato Sat 23 Jul 11 @ 12:18 pm
kid vicHome userMember since 2011
kirill69, thats a dope mix bro! It's got some really well known tracks and interesting samples. Good on yah!

Inviato Mon 25 Jul 11 @ 3:22 pm
lcmxr6PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Whaaat up, all new mini mix for my weekly dubspot assignment!
http://soundcloud.com/lofosho/dubspot-mini-mix
++TrackList++
1. Big Jet Plane (Zoroaster Remix) - Angus & JuliaStone
2. Crucify Me Part 2 - Phetsta, Shock One
3. For Norway (Original Mix) - Superginger
4. Sultan of Swing (Original Mix) - Jantsen
5. Bust it Wide Open (Crizzly Remix) - Lil Wil

Inviato Fri 29 Jul 11 @ 6:02 pm
53%