Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: using the waveform to beatmatch in VDJ 7 Pro?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I am not understanding how to use the waveform to beatmatch? Looking at the userguide, it shows when both the peak and cbg's are lined up but sometimes the beats are matched with the peaks lined up but not the cbg's? what I am doing is setting the downbeat of the incoming tune and let it go with the downbeat of the existing tune but I am doing this be ear, thing is, how does the waveform help you beatmatch then? I tried simply matching both big blocks of the cbg but that doesn't always work, i tried matching both peaks of each tune and that doesn't awlays work? Even matching both peak and big block of both tunes doesn't mean the tunes are beatmatched as the guide says so how do you guys use the waveform to beatmatch please?

Inviato Fri 25 Nov 11 @ 1:59 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
The wave forms are only a mild reference point. The most effective tool for beat matching is your ears. Under the wave forms are little squares, or blocks. Those are called Computer Grid Blocks or, CBGs. You will notice You will notice one large one, three smaller ones, and another large one. The large is what I consider the down beat. Also, try hard not to vary BPMs by more than 3% until you become more accomplished at blending....

Inviato Fri 25 Nov 11 @ 3:16 pm
I am using tunes with the same bpm and matching up the big blocks on both tunes is not working form some tunes.

Inviato Fri 25 Nov 11 @ 4:51 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
What songs? The reason why I ask is, electronic music, I.E. house is much more suited to mixing than music performed by musicians I.E. rock. The reason is, musicians muscles grow tired and even the best drummer loses time after a given amount of time drumming. For example AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long. The drummer starts out at @ 125 bpm. During the course of the song however he jumps up to 128 and ends at @ 126. So, your choice of songs might be the issue. Also, practice will make you a more adept skill at blending even rock and roll. It just takes time. Also, if you are first learning, try not to hold the blends for more than say 8 to 16 beats. Once you become more adept, you can hold the blends longer. Also, if you ripped the songs from a belt driven turn table, you will notice BPM drifting as well.

Inviato Fri 25 Nov 11 @ 5:10 pm
charlie55 wrote :
I am not understanding how to use the waveform to beatmatch? … I tried simply matching both big blocks of the cbg but that doesn't always work, i tried matching both peaks of each tune and that doesn't awlays work? Even matching both peak and big block of both tunes doesn't mean the tunes are beatmatched as the guide says so how do you guys use the waveform to beatmatch please?

This is why many of today’s DJs are having a difficult time matching beats—they are focused on using their eyes instead of their ears.

TearEmUp wrote :
The wave forms are only a mild reference point. The most effective tool for beat matching is your ears.

So true….

TearEmUp wrote :
Also, try hard not to vary BPMs by more than 3% until you become more accomplished at blending....

Good point. Go to CONFIG and click on the Options tab. Change the Pitch Range to -6% to +6%. Also, disable the Auto Pitch Matching and practice with songs the have BPMs within the new pitch range. As you get better at beat mixing by ear, you will be able to make the Pitch Range higher. Please remember that you will not be able to beat mix songs with a greater BPM difference than the new pitch range unless you also speed up or slow down the song that is playing, but try to avoid doing this.

Keep checking this forum, I am working on a beat mixing by ear tutorial. However, I don't know how long it will take me to complete it.

Inviato Sun 27 Nov 11 @ 10:22 pm

Deleted double post :)

Inviato Sun 27 Nov 11 @ 10:22 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)