Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mixtrack + Custom Launchpad Mapping = Constant Crashing??

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

So yeah I did a custom mapping for my novation launchpad and now that it's completed it's causing complete crashes of my computer when I actually get it running in vdj.

Any help?

Inviato Sun 16 Sep 12 @ 3:49 pm
post your crash report.

Inviato Sun 16 Sep 12 @ 5:22 pm
Which log am I looking for?

Inviato Mon 17 Sep 12 @ 12:24 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not sure if you created/modified just a mapper or created your own definition as well, but since the crash came up in the middle of your development, maybe it would be wise to step by step troubleshoot your issue.
Meaning that...
Backup you mapper file(s), then try to add a few lines, load the mapper, and keep testing VirtualDJ while adding step by step more lines to that(those) files.
Then apparently, you will come up with the line(s), that give the crash.

Crash log(report) might not help much as it will probably show a generic hardware/controller issue.

Inviato Mon 17 Sep 12 @ 8:07 pm
The mapper and definition file are both custom, complete and have been for a little while. Whether it crashed at all during development I don't recall.

As for the crash log the only one that shows up is some old one that appears to be all the way from when I was running limited edition.

Soooo I'm sort of at a loss.

Inviato Tue 18 Sep 12 @ 2:59 pm
nothin? ouch. lol

Inviato Thu 20 Sep 12 @ 8:28 pm
I was waiting for the team to respond...

The reason I thought you should post the crash log is because 99% of the time when it's happened to me it's a dodgy vst effect that I am mapping not the actual mapping or definition itself "as long as you previously had it running"...

The other 1% of the time it's the ONINIT command that shuts VDJ down on me. You know this is the problem if VDJ shuts down immediately after the controller is recognized, or doesn't open when VDJ is loading, you should see "activating devices" just prior to it shutting down.

*note - ONINIT should be the last command in the mapper.*

Can you tell us more about the lead up to VDJ crashing... Are you pressing a particular button? does it happen when you connect/disconnect the device? Is it because a particular LED is on? etc...

In my experience if you have multiple commands VDJ will just ignore the newest ones and do the first one in order of your mapper.xml, so that probably isn't the problem but worth checking. Other than that follow djdads advice he's pretty smart and knows what he is talking about ;-)

If your mapper has never worked then you should use an xml validator as xml will not work if you have any mistakes.

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp

Inviato Thu 20 Sep 12 @ 10:03 pm
Well I'm not actually getting a crashguard report because the setup is bringing down my entire computer unfortunately. A discussion I had with a redditor the other day suggested it may very well be the stress from the constant LED timings on the board. I'm going to make them uniform and tone down a couple bells and whistles in the mapping to see if it causes the same stress or whether I've designed this monster of a problem on my own by accident.

The mapper works flawlessly except for the occasional crash, and I haven't been able to pinpoint any trend as to what triggers it as of yet. Sorry I'm not of more help on the issue. Let me know if there's anything else I can share that would help the situation.

And thanks again you guys, you're always a massive saving grace on here.

Inviato Fri 21 Sep 12 @ 2:01 am
not sure that the LED's could be the problem... I have made some controllers do stupid things with LED's "although they are single colour"

Inviato Fri 21 Sep 12 @ 4:04 am
Yeah.... I was/am skeptical myself but apparently its been a factor for someone else so I have my fingers crossed. Should be able to mess with it in the next couple days.

Inviato Fri 21 Sep 12 @ 8:53 am
Just for reference it does appear the actual continual lighting of the LEDs was the issue in my case but it will take more testing overall to make sure.

EXPLANATION:
I was working with my equipment last weekend trying to reproduce the crash so that I could pinpoint exactly what was going on in the program during these crashes. I got thiings to briefly lock up a few times but no full crashes and I still couldn't find any correlation between the lock ups so I was going about nowhere.

About that same time I got a response on a thread somewhere else very confidently stating that the issue was with the power to the Launchpad and that an AC powered USB hub should solve the problem. I asked how he knew this and he said a background in electronics just had him in the habit of looking at issues from a hardware perspective before assuming a software issue.

Went and got myself a little hub yesterday and was using my full setup last night. I got zero crashes, zero lockups, nothing. And it all worked great. Obviously I need to use it more to make sure the problem is actually gone and I wasn't just lucky last night, but I have reason to believe this is the solution. When the computer used to crash the launchpad would respond in turn by freezing itself (as would be expected) because it was still getting power from the computer but no signal to continue its blink operations. When I was done last night I unplugged the hub from the computer before unplugging the launchpad from the hub. The result was that the launchpad froze due it still getting power from the hub but no longer the signal. That rang an immediate bell for me and so my hopes are very high that the issue is solved.

Thanks for the input guys and I hope this helps someone in the future!

Inviato Sat 29 Sep 12 @ 2:36 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)