Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Core I7 macbook pro over heated and froze during a gig....twice!!!!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I was working a club last night when my 15" macbook pro froze in the middle of a song and began heating up I was running vdj pro and my American audio Vms2 controller .....l luckily the club has a house cable radio system and was able to grab a fan from the dj booth to cool my laptop down but this is the second time this has happened to me on virtual dj at a gig ...

also it takes my laptop about 10-15 minutes to restart when this happens..

any ideas what it could be? I have allot of big gigs coming up and cant afford for this to be happening

Inviato Sun 28 Apr 13 @ 10:23 pm
I got rid of my Mac because of similar problems.

My 17" MacBook Pro used to heat up so bad you couldn't touch it. Don't think it's necessarily a VDJ issue as it used to happen without that running as well. Look on the Apple support forums, it's a common problem.

One thing to check is that you are running the correct resolution of skin for the screen size and not "stretching" another one. This causes the CPU to run faster and will cause similar symptoms.

Now I've gone back to a Sony Windows machine it runs cool all night.

Keith

Inviato Sun 28 Apr 13 @ 10:55 pm
ok Ive been reading horror stories on google about macs but this is my first time dealing with it personally but I;ve only been dj'ng a few months I usually do production, Mixing, and mastering in air conditioned rooms I think i will try out a cooling pad with fans for when I hit the clubs with because I'm in texas and it can get blazing hot in a club here even with the house AC and fans on

I'm using the stock american audio vms2 skin on a 15" screen (non retina) I have never touched my screen resolution settings

also I think my hard drive may be lagging as well I have the 500 gig 7200rpm one and I have had some lag previewing mp3s lately not sure if I should just grab a 1tb drive or wait a few weeks and get a 650gig or 1tb ssd drive

Inviato Mon 29 Apr 13 @ 12:16 am
The fact you're in Texas can have an impact. Where I stay it's never ever more than 20c so we don't have the heat issues :)

Drive ways you could go for in internal 7200rpm mechanical which should be fine, or you could put a 256gb SSD to run the OS then have your music on an external drive. To be honest with MP3 files even a standard drive should load them fine without lagging.

Keith

Inviato Mon 29 Apr 13 @ 12:23 am

Inviato Mon 29 Apr 13 @ 11:11 am
Install Smc fan control. Set it to high performance. The i7 runs hot. Also you didnt say if you were doing video. But the video card get really hot as well. Either way smc fan control will allow you to run your fans inside the Mac on high and keep it cool

Inviato Mon 29 Apr 13 @ 12:45 pm
I called out to another gig last minute tonight I set up a fan to blow across my computer and and I'm going try using a different skin tonight and see how it all works I will also be using vdj stream allot tonight i'm dealing with a real country crowd and i'm a hip hop/rnb guy

I'll let you guys know how it goes

and thanks for the help!!

I already order a laptop cooling stand with built in fans and a usb hub so hopfully ill be good

Inviato Mon 29 Apr 13 @ 9:18 pm
I'm using a 2010 Macbook Pro i7 15" with internal 500gb drive. I have all my music & video databases on an external 1tb drive. I found that working with just music there was no heat problem at all, but, I have been gigging with video in my residency for 5+ years. Using video generates a ridiculous amount of heat at the back left hand corner of the laptop where the power supply and USB connections are. It's extremely hot to the touch.

Initially when I first started using my Macbook (bootcamped with W7) I found that after 3 hours the computer started becoming sluggish with it's response to mouse movements and various other indications that all was not well. I started using my Akasa cooling plate, the laptop still gets hot, but, I don't get the sluggishness after 3 hours, so, the cooling plate is obviously being a great help. Mine is quite old now, looking at their website seems like they have some better ones.

As the Mac only has 2 USB connections, I have my MC6000 and my external 1tb drive using them. I bought a separate mains plug that can provide power to 4 USB sockets. I have my cooling plate plugged in, my PCtoTV Convertor and my backup iPod. These things only require USB power, also the cooling plate has an extra 2 USB sockets if I needed more. It means I don't have to use a powered hub as I have had Controller problems with powered hubs in the past.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Cheers
Les

Inviato Tue 30 Apr 13 @ 6:17 am
Download SMC Fan Control and run your fans as high as theyll go, mine go up to about 6200 and I never have a problem. Im running VDJ with either Resolume or VDJ, Resolume and VPT all at the same time and I can do this all night. Fans are cheaper then a motherboard so just download it clean out your laptop whenever you get a chance and you'll be good to go......

Inviato Wed 01 May 13 @ 11:08 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
This is great info to know. Thanks for sharing. I'm testing an i7 tonight for 7-8 hours in a very warm environment.

Inviato Sat 04 May 13 @ 1:08 pm
Please notice:

A "very warm environment" is not suitable for laptops!
Okay, some of them are going well with stuff like that.

There are also military laptops which can stand a fall from high.
That's doesn't mean that all laptops stand a big fall.

I mean: buy a stand with fans or something...
Laptops need space around to breath and nice air.

I use a simple stand to keep it on my eyes' high, without bottom and everything is fine

With i5, not i7 ;)

Inviato Sun 05 May 13 @ 1:30 pm
Crane stand pro with a small fan underneath it along with SMC fan control and your all good.......

Inviato Tue 07 May 13 @ 9:47 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008

Inviato Wed 08 May 13 @ 6:43 pm
Put your computer on a stand. that lifts your computer Make sure you have some sort of fan maybe two.

Inviato Fri 10 May 13 @ 1:44 pm
Ive worked about 6 gigs since this post and a few things have changed

I switched from the stock Vms controller skin to a basic skin 1440x900 resolution
I purchased a cheap laptop cooling pad from walmart with 1 large fan in it (never completed my online order for the other one I thought I ordered)
and I installed smc fan control

with the old skin and no cooling pad my cpu ran up to 165-185 degrees while dj'ing (way too hot) but with the new skin and the cooling pad it stays at a steady 130-135 degrees while dj'ing and stays at 125 while doing production and mixing in logic, and about 113 while surfing the web....

also after a phone call with american audio i discovered my vms controller was also overheating so I run it with 2 of its rubber booties popped off and keep it elevated for circulation

and the results are I have a much more stable setup I had a couple video and mouse gliches still the last couple weeks but i think its just time for new ram I'm currently running 4gigs ram but I'm wanted to max it out to 16 gigs every since I got it

harddrive also loads much faster with the cooling pad on

Inviato Mon 13 May 13 @ 12:43 am
martyokPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I work with my mac under the sun for 8 - 10 ours and my problem is the ram. I only use virtualdj and at beginning i star with 2.6 Gb but near the end of the day I have only 100/200 Mb. It doesn't seem a problem of warm cpu, for me

Inviato Fri 28 Jun 13 @ 2:55 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)