Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Headsup for anyone Bootcamping a Mac with Windows 8

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Last November, when Windows 8 was released, I upgraded from W7 to W8 as it was at a cheap introductory price. But, as a download, you only got either the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version according to what your current W7 system was. Previously when buying the DVD from a retailer I got both 32bit and 64bit W7 operating systems on it. I was running the 32 bit version and upgraded successfully. Everything worked fine, until, after a few weeks I had W8 completely crash with no warning with a full dancefloor. This happened 2 consecutive Fridays. That was enough, I returned to W7 and decided I would wait a few months til any bugs were ironed out of W8.

On Monday I thought I would give W8 another try. Rather than a clean install I thought I would go the easy route and just upgrade. Got it done but I couldn't get the mousepad on the Mac to work. This is important as I have both USB ports taken up with my external hard drive and my Denon MC6000. So, no room for a USB mouse. I tried downloading different versions of Bootcamp from Apple's site without success. Still no working mousepad.

On further investigation on Apple's Bootcamp site there is a paragraph easily missed that states;

Quote "Which versions of Windows are supported with Boot Camp 5?
64-bit versions of Windows 8 and Windows 7 are supported using the Boot Camp 5 Support Software. If you need to use a 32-bit version, you need to use Boot Camp 4 Support Software, and you must use Windows 7. 32-bit versions of Windows 8 are not supported via Boot Camp. For a complete list of Windows OS support, click here."

This is frustrating as the first time I tried last November it worked without any fuss apart from the crashes a few weeks later (which could have been the dodgy memory I have just replaced). I now will have to return to Windows 7. Next question is; should I go for the 32bit or the 64bit? Even if I go for the 64bit I could only upgrade to W8 if I paid for it again at a much higher price than what I paid last November. The next question is; is there much advantage with 64bit over 32bit?

I assume I am going to have to clean install as I don't think I can 'upgrade' from W8 to W7. Also, I have backup files from the 32bit version that may not work with the 64bit version. Either way it's gong to be a PITA day restoring my system back to a working condition before Fridays gig. I have the Mac version of VDJ so I could use that if necessary.

If only I had known Apple didn't support the 32bit version of W8 it could have saved me hours of frustrating work.

Inviato Tue 18 Jun 13 @ 11:19 pm
Spent the rest of the week doing a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. Everything is back to normal except it's the 64bit rather than the 32bit version of W7. Last nights gig went flawlessly.

If only I had know last November I could of upgraded to the 64bit before paying £25 (special introductory price) before downloading Windows 8 32bit which is now useless. Checked up on the current price of Windows 8 £99 ggrrrrrrrrrrr....... As I've already paid for W8, ssshhhhhh........ I know a man down the pub that has.........................

Inviato Sat 22 Jun 13 @ 4:34 am
Ha ha... good info Les.
I'm done with Macs. Overpriced and unreliable.

My current Sony is ace and very good indeed. I can see why people buy Macs and boot camp but there are some decent Windows machines out there.

PS my MacPro only has a 256 SSD with Win 7. Contrary to what Apple say you don't need Apple OS on it to work :)

Keith

Inviato Sat 22 Jun 13 @ 9:07 pm
I use bootcamp on mine, and no problems, but I am comfortable with VDJ mac version, so I'm good with both.

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 10:34 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Do you mix video with that 13" MBP or strictly audio?

Inviato Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 8:57 pm
I am collecting videos....I have never tried mixing to a ext monitor or projector from the 13" yet.
but mixing internal seems ok so far.

Inviato Thu 27 Jun 13 @ 3:52 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)