Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ 7.4, Ecler Evo5, doing video & 2 incidents ;-) & Mac vs. Windows thoughts

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Following up on
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/178899/MAC_Version_Technical_Support/VDJ_7_4_Mac__Ecler_Evo5__Hercules_DJ_Control_mp3__all_good.html ......

So, after back-to-back gigs ... did another one last night.
Added video, still all was fine.
The venue had 3 plasma's that took RCA (Composite / CVBS).
Used this box to go from miniDisplay Port to VGA to Composite:
König CMP-Telview2
It takes power over USB. Used a 220v-to-usb power adapter for that, so I didn't need to use the MBP's usb port.
The picture was sharp enough.

Found out, that switching between Music Videos and mp3's seems to throw off VDJ a bit. Had to disable & re-enable Video output in VDJ Config to get music videos outputted over VGA again. No glitch in the sound or anything though in that process.
Also, as we know, plug-ins for VDJ Video on Mac are more limited than under Windows. I couldn't quite figure out Slideshow / Clipbank to do what I wanted as plugins for audio-only files.
What I missed most, was a plug-in to display text on the TV's (will check the VDJ download center for Mac later).

Two incidents on the night:
they had a gorgeous lighting setup, all controllable.
Bar back-drop, bar lights, a disco-blocks-ceiling (all LED), and PAR spots.
There was a dedicated (Windows) touchscreen with Martin Lightjockey on it.
At a high, I punched in the strobo, then something else. The Windows system froze, and all the room was in bright white ;-(
The windows system had no keyboard, and the touchscreen was not really calibrated on the monitor.
3 staff jumped in ;-)
They got it right ... took away the bright white ...

More familiar probably: one of those types who insist on playing an obscure (and rather heavy) song after you closed down the night (15 min. later than agreed with the venue) ...
Someone who has had 5 hours of opportunity to request something and only does so 15 mins. after the actual end ... and is really PO'd when she doesn't get it. This happens regularly, still sometimes manages to leave me with an anti-climax feeling. Well I guess you just can't please them all !

Finally, I read more & more here on the benefits (price, stability) of Windows.
Using both now (Mac since 2 years), I would say:
MBP for build quality, very fine touch, looks professional to clients (makes an impression!).
Stability of several Mac apps is just terrible. When they crash, at least the OS never (?) seems to crash !?
Windows 8 seems quite the hit. Have not tried it yet. (Still on Vista ;-))
Am considering building a Hackintosh (Google TonyMacx86): hardware with lots of power at 'Windows prices', still running Mac OS, which I quite need for VJ'ing (Quartz Composer, Syphon).

After all, I guess it's just a positive, that Microsoft have stabilized Windows, and that hardware (laptop) makers are getting closer to the build quality and aesthetics of Apple. This makes the case for non-Apple Windows (so: no bootcamp either) stronger.

Lastly, it just seems Apple releases new OS versions so rapidly after another, that some apps have trouble, staying compatible with the latest/all Mac OS versions.

Best greetings,
Arie

Inviato Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 6:04 am
Please do not create a separate post for everytime you want to talk about your hardware. Your prior thread has been locked.

Inviato Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 12:25 pm
Point taken. Pfff you seem to suggest I overflood the forum all the time ?! ;-(

Inviato Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 3:53 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)