Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Using loops to mix?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

903djPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Beat matching is the one type of transitioning I'm having some difficulties with. I think I do a pretty good job feeling the room and knowing what to play next. A lot of times I can just let one track start playing out and can slowly bring in the next without really having to worry about beat matching. Other times I can use the echo out effect, brake, or back spin or just slam the next one in.

I've fallen into an easy trap of using the wave forms to beat match and I do all right visually, but I know there will be times I may have to improvise due to technical difficulties or whatever. I'm looking for examples/tutorials on using loops to transition from one track to the next and that will help me with my beat matching.

Inviato Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 11:08 am
Go to YouTube and search for "DJ mix using loops" or similar.

There are thousands of results.

Inviato Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 11:15 am
Loops are funny old things.

As a hobbyist House enthusiast, I use loops for all sorts of reasons, but because House is easily structured, and more or less at the same tempo, with intro's and outro's, I use loops of a single kick drum to energise the current track, I love the driven double-kick sound as the current track winds up. Or, clone the deck, and pinch the main sample from the track to drop in and out anywhere I fancy.

Depending on what you mix, for example chart music, you can use a loop to extend the last, say, 64 beats of a track with no outro, so perhaps the chorus looped over and over with an ever deepening echo will give you the time you need to mix your new track in, either beatmatched or using effects to bring the new one in, and the looped one out.

The only way to learn is to practice with it - there's no one right way. Just a tool to manipulate the sound. Just remember, the longer the loop, the more musical and less robotic it will sound, for example, pick a chorus, loop all of it, and let it play a couple of times. Then halve the length of the loop, and it becomes more manufactured, halved again even more so, till you get to a stutter buzz a 1/64th (I think) of a beat.

Have fun.

Ta
Mike

Inviato Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 5:46 pm
Do you put the loop on the playing track or on the upcoming track? Can you advise when to do either.
Thank You

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 16 @ 3:00 pm
It's entirely up to you. There are no rules. It can be done either way, or even both at the same time.

P.S. please try to avoid commenting on threads over a year old (this one is from 2013).

Inviato Thu 23 Jun 16 @ 4:33 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)