Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: bad audio/beat grid analysis

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

hi all.
about 3 weeks ago i bought ddj-ergo-v. nice piece of kit, and its works fine, but a software.... seems to be a pain in the..hole...

it was included virtual dj le ,which i even gone upgrading to pro, but its not solved a problems.

main issiue is that all tracks when they are analysed beat isnt couted like its should i.e.: its showing 127.93 instead of 128 , and in adition beat grid is like randomly stretching and and compressing . its not a major distances between grid markers but , its causing a monster. what its happens is you cannot mix a tracks smoothly, the beat runs out a bit forward and then comes back and goes backward - its exactly same effect like you will play ith pitch fader up and down a bit. in graphic wave stream you can see beat points are like randomly a "bit" bend on top in back or forward . thats is making a bit clicky sound when you try to mix a tracks like you wouldnt have tepmo set in proper way.

i know you will ask for some stuff so here an answers:
- yes, im using original tracks, buying them on beatport .
- yes, tracks where absolutely spot on before, as i was using them with home version of VDJ before i bought controller.
- seems software made a permament changes in tracks , im affraid im gonna have to delete arround 30% of my library and dowload it from btp back again.

any proposals to sort this issue out ?

my laptp:
vista
4gb ram
core 2 duo , 2.2 ghz

before instalation of software, hd was formated , system was installed and all drivers and all that kind of stuff updated, firmware in contoller is up to date, same as software \VDJ pro .
so laptop is absolutely "blank" ,no trash , no nothing, only vdj software and a few tracks ive put on to hd to have quickie acces when djing.

Inviato Wed 02 Oct 13 @ 4:08 pm
Make sure you pre-analyse all your tracks before you play them live at gig.

Also you might want to look into upgrading to W7. Vista has been noted to cause some issues.

Inviato Wed 02 Oct 13 @ 10:34 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It can depend on you music genre, breakbeat and hiphop can stray from the CBG but they still keep time, I've also noticed that the CBG sometimes refuses to get it right, I made several a click tracks with audacity

100 bpm is read as 100.005
130 bpm is read as 129.999
170 bpm is read as 169.997

I know the discrepancy isn't much but how can it cock up on a click track?

I've also noticed that if you double the bpm twice (to alter how beat based effects work) and then half it twice the resultant bpm isn't the original bpm

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 9:03 am
The best policy is not to rely on technology for things like BPM or key.

Mix tracks by using your ears to tell if it's drifting, and the pitch control to put it right.

If two tracks sound good together musically, mix them. If they clash, don't mix them!

Things like waveforms, BPM readout and key detection make people lazy. DJs used turntables for decades without needing all that stuff!

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 9:18 am
are you guys seriously worried about thousandth's of a bpm?

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 10:00 am
groovindj wrote :
The best policy is not to rely on technology for things like BPM or key.

Mix tracks by using your ears to tell if it's drifting, and the pitch control to put it right.

If two tracks sound good together musically, mix them. If they clash, don't mix them!

Things like waveforms, BPM readout and key detection make people lazy. DJs used turntables for decades without needing all that stuff!

like i wrote on first post - im using it maybe a week, maybe 2 weeks . before i was trying it on home version on laptop and it was fine.
like you pointed - im relaying on my ears, and i know what i hear. there is absolutely no problem with this tracks when im playing them on my cdjs ( basic set up cdj1000mk3 x2 and djm 800) - sound its absolutely perfect , beat is like its should etc. problems occurs when i decided to try it digital - still using skills like with cdjs or turntables - but sound its crap like hell. its impossible to mix tracks smoothly like i was doing it for last 14 years using booth cds and vinyls. what is happening with beat i can piont graphically like this :
I- beat gdrid
_ - space between bars

I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I

8x_ 7x_ 8x_ 9x_

and its random, however changes are small like up to 0,1 x beat grid , but its enough to have a red face. its annoying, and i think its possible software issue , as i tryied serato dj intro today on same controller and its absolutely spot on ! - sounds perfect on serato! so where is the bug ?

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 1:45 pm
So the tracks have been ripped from CD and the actual files are OK (they play fine with DJ Intro) but you think that VDJ has somehow changed the tracks so that the beats are not evenly spaced?

Or are you saying that only the beat grid is wrong in VDJ?

If it's only the beat grid then it should not affect your ability to mix the tracks - unless you're using sync.

If you're using VDJ Pro, why have you not registered the serial number to your account?

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 2:07 pm
groovindj wrote :
So the tracks have been ripped from CD and the actual files are OK (they play fine with DJ Intro) but you think that VDJ has somehow changed the tracks so that the beats are not evenly spaced?

Or are you saying that only the beat grid is wrong in VDJ?

If it's only the beat grid then it should not affect your ability to mix the tracks - unless you're using sync.

If you're using VDJ Pro, why have you not registered the serial number to your account?

1- tracks where downloaded from beatport.com
2 - beat grid is usually randomly placed - but i can coop with this issue
3- yes beat itself is like i wrote in previous posts - its juzst like randomly moving backwards and forward slightly which is affecting ability to match right tempo and makes you keep using jog all the time and on top of this its making a bit clicky sound.
4 - not using sync
5- if ou will read carefully everything - you may notice that i was "LE" user a week ago , and then there is an option in settings...go for 20 days free pro version , which i did to test it if bug will dissappear. but nothing changed.

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 4:05 pm
Djdragokg wrote :

OK - you said the tracks worked on CD, so you burned the CD yourself from the Beatport files?

Djdragokg wrote :
randomly moving backwards and forward slightly

I don't see how VDJ can possibly be changing the files/tracks like that. The clicking you mention could be caused by your ASIO buffer being set too low.

Djdragokg wrote :
20 days free pro version

Ah, so when you said you upgraded to Pro, you actually didn't upgrade - you only ran the trial.

You say the files are fine in the Home version, which makes me think the problem is the Ergo, not VDJ (because it happens when the Ergo is connected).

What happens if you play the files in the Pro trial without the Ergo connected? (if it will allow you to run it without the Ergo).

Inviato Thu 03 Oct 13 @ 4:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
Djdragokg wrote :

OK - you said the tracks worked on CD, so you burned the CD yourself from the Beatport files?

yes, bought them , dowloaded , then burned on cd

groovindj wrote :
Djdragokg wrote :
20 days free pro version

Ah, so when you said you upgraded to Pro, you actually didn't upgrade - you only ran the trial.

it is a trial for 20 days but its fully working like pro version

groovindj wrote :
You say the files are fine in the Home version, which makes me think the problem is the Ergo, not VDJ (because it happens when the Ergo is connected).

What happens if you play the files in the Pro trial without the Ergo connected? (if it will allow you to run it without the Ergo).

thats the reason why i created this topic - ergo was my first thought, but i did a test with ergo connected and without and the bug was still the same .

Inviato Fri 04 Oct 13 @ 10:54 am
Sorry to bump this, but was the issue ever fixed? I'm having identical issues running Virtual DJ LE for Pioneer XDJ-R1, beat isn't consistent but is fine on rekordbox and WMP. It's like it's adjusted it for key lock, but it hasn't.

Inviato Fri 04 Apr 14 @ 5:25 am
Stucked Ferio wrote :
beat isn't consistent but is fine on rekordbox and WMP

Did you read the thread?

What do you mean by "isn't consistent"? Please explain in more detail.

Inviato Fri 04 Apr 14 @ 6:01 am
I've read everything going on the issue on various different forums and websites, but it seems to be an issue that only those afflicted with it can understand.

Basically, the beats randomly jump about; overall the track will keep its time, but you can hear that every few beats the kick is ever-so-slightly lengthened or shortened, as if it's trying to compensate in a way pitchlock does. It's not to do with sync or pitch lock though as it happens when the software is first opened and a song played whether it's set to Master or not. You can even see the beats going out slightly on the wave visuals when you are beatmatching, but they jump back in. No amount of setting fettling seems to fix it.

As mentioned, it's hard to explain without experiencing it.

Inviato Fri 04 Apr 14 @ 8:06 am
OK so maybe your computer isn't up to the job of smoothly playing tracks back. Maybe it's something simpler.

What's your computer spec? Are you running VDJ LE at the correct resolution (the skin res has to match your screen res)?

What's your ASIO buffer setting?

Inviato Fri 04 Apr 14 @ 10:11 am
I'm a tech engineer and I can assure you it's nothing to do with either my PC or laptop, it's 100% software related, hence why I posted on here.

Inviato Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 4:15 am
Oh well I'll leave you to it then. Good luck solving it yourself.

Inviato Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 7:20 am
groovindj wrote :
Oh well I'll leave you to it then. Good luck solving it yourself.

I'd post a cocky response like that too if none of the "advice" I'd given was helpful :)

Inviato Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 10:28 am
No one's going to be able to help if you don't provide information when asked - in the same way that a doctor needs to ask a patient questions about their problem in order to diagnose.

I asked you some questions but instead of answering them, you chose to respond with the whole "I'm an expert" thing.

Inviato Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 10:36 am
Make a youtube vid.

Inviato Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 10:58 am
Actually to me it sounds like CPU overload, but still, make a vid, we need more info to help.

You can of course set the bpm manually, I have had the bpm (being way off) issue maybe 5 or 6 times (over 7000 tracks), but I do play breakcore and it even by ear sometimes it takes a walk on the weird side.

Although knowing that you're capable of technical thinking, try isolate the problem, does the same thing happen without your controller, how does your system latency read?

Inviato Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 3:59 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)