Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Muffled playback

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

1trev27PRO InfinityMember since 2013
Hi all,

Forgive me if this has been answered before but I searched and searched and did not find solutions.

I'm recently purchased VirtualDJ Pro 7.4. For the last week I have been recording audio from my vinyl collection (house, garage, techno, trance). All sounds OK when played back via Audacity or Windows Media Player but when I launch VDJ Pro and load the tracks onto a deck to play they sound oddly muffled. e.g. If I load a portion of a track that only has a 4x4 bass beat some of the beats play softer (no kick) and with a lower volume. This ONLY happens when playing from VDJ. Looking at a zoomed view on Audacity shows no difference between the beats so this is really puzzling.

Config
====
VDJ Pro 7.4
Inputs: None
Outputs: Headphones Master: Front Output / Headphones: Rear Output
Soundcard: 4.1 Card : N4

Notebook running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit with a Numark N4 connected via USB 2.0

The MP3s are pretty standard at 44.1 kHz, Stereo, Constant 192 kbps.

Any idea what I other settings I could look at. I'm sure I must have something setup incorrectly.

Trev

Inviato Mon 09 Dec 13 @ 3:00 pm
It's possible that the effect you're hearing is caused by the limiter on the output of VDJ, which is there to prevent overload.

If you play too loudly, the limiter kicks in to prevent distortion and avoid damage to your audio equipment.

Try disabling the limiter (but don't play too loudly) and see if that helps.

Inviato Mon 09 Dec 13 @ 3:25 pm
Many thanks for the response. Yep, that was one of the things I checked for and had turned it off. I just found the answer though. I must have pressed the Key Lock button for the tracks I was playing. I've just noticed that when the key lock is on when the track is loaded it causes this type of issue with the audio.

Solved now by not using the keylock feature!

T

Inviato Mon 09 Dec 13 @ 4:11 pm
You'd probably get better results when using keylock if you encoded at a higher bit rate (256 or 320).

Inviato Mon 09 Dec 13 @ 5:28 pm
ah yes. Will probably do that for a few tracks. Am ripping a collection of 800 from my old djing days so was compromising on space. Truth be told there aren't many tracks I want to use keylock on anyway so I can up the quality for those. Romanthony's Make this Love Right springs to mind.
T

Inviato Mon 09 Dec 13 @ 8:48 pm
Make sure that you have enabled Advanced Stretching in CONFIG -> Performances for best quality sound when using keylock.

The limiter should also always be enabled, otherwise you may experience digital distortion if the gain and/or EQ of tracks is boosted to much. Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Limiter.html

Inviato Tue 10 Dec 13 @ 5:45 am
Rip once, rip high. That should be your M.O.

In fact the ideal thing is to rip to WAV then convert to MP3 and keep the WAV as a backup (you can make CDs for example).

It might seem like a good idea initially to "save space", except these days hard drives are huge so space shouldn't be an issue, and somewhere down the line you're bound to wish that you'd ripped in higher quality.

My advice is do it now - avoid the heartache of doing it all again later!

Inviato Tue 10 Dec 13 @ 5:45 am
So true Groovin'

I ripped all my CDs to MP3 back in 1999 when I got my first DJ laptop .... it only had a 20Gb HDD at the time so space was a premium.

I ended up having to do it all again a couple of years ago as you really notice the difference between 128kps and 320kps on some tracks, depends on how "busy" the track is and of course the conversion method used in the first place!

Good advice is to rip to WAV or 320kps MP3

keith

Inviato Tue 10 Dec 13 @ 3:29 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)