Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: 1980's Freestyle

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I created a folder of the best freestyle music of the 80's and 90's. I grew up with this music and having fun adding songs that used to play back then and forgot about when going digital in 2000. I find it interesting that 90% of the grids don't line up. It's not that big of a deal as unless I'm not using my controller, just using my laptop and rely on the sync to mix. I'm just surprised as I thought it was all drum machine. Any thoughts?

Inviato Mon 06 Jun 16 @ 4:33 am
Well I guess that although there may have been drum machines around, the music was probably still being recorded to tape, and tapes were still standard for masters (even DAT which was popular later is tape).

Even though drum machines would be a lot steadier than a real drummer, if they were synced to tape via SMPTE then the tape speed variations would transfer to the tempo of the drums.

From there, vinyl was still going, so it would have been cut to wonky vinyl from wonky tape. :-)

Litlle things like the spindle hole in the vinyl being off centre introduce more variations, on top of the ones mentioned above.

Inviato Mon 06 Jun 16 @ 6:53 pm
Great response. I never though of any of this. It's frustrating but at least I know why now.

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 16 @ 1:23 am
It can be fixed, but you need a DAW to do it. DJ software (so far anyway) isn't capable of warping.

See for example Ableton Live. It's famous for its ability to correct timing on old tracks - which is why some DJs swear by it, although it works very differently to VDJ/Traktor et al because it's designed for live use by musicians, not DJs.

I use it when I need to. You can process your wonky tracks and export them, using it like an audio editing program.

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 16 @ 5:28 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)